Windows 10: Prevent Automatic Windows Updates

Discus and support Prevent Automatic Windows Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I am the (un)lucky owner of several Windows computers and I suffer from the ongoing Windows plague of inconvenient updates. Today, my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Poul Madsen, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Prevent Automatic Windows Updates

Hi there,

I am the (un)lucky owner of several Windows computers and I suffer from the ongoing Windows plague of inconvenient updates.

Today, my Windows 8 **** up. It was in the middle of updating - still indicating 0 % updated - while I was about to leave and hadn't time to wait.

Tonight, on my Windows 10 laptop, the screen turned grey and 3 buttons appeared asking if I wanted to let Windows restart now after updates. Do I get a choice? Tomorrow, in the middle of my work, Windows will block me and come up with the same question.

I am NOT interested in any recommendations from Microsoft support advising me to let Windows keep updating.

I am only interested in knowing HOW to stop the forced updates.

I do acknowledge that Microsoft probably won't make changes just because I am complaining. I do however believe that Microsoft prefers no bad publicity.

:)

Poul Madsen, Feb 12, 2019

2. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Feb 12, 2019
  3. bigscale Win User
    windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, Feb 12, 2019
  4. jbunch07 Win User

Prevent Automatic Windows Updates

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile Prevent Automatic Windows Updates :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Prevent Automatic Windows Updates

1. Prevent Automatic Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Prevent Automatic Updates

2. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  3. How to prevent updates from downloading automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent updates from downloading automatically: Once again, MS takes choices away from its customers. How can I set Updates to notify me, but NOT download automatically? I use the Standalone Installer. We don't all want to hand total control to the programmers at MS, nor to allow whatever vendor files the vendor feels like...
  4. This will prevent windows 10 automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This will prevent windows 10 automatic updates: Hi guys, i've coded small program that you can compile your self using autoit. Autoit is free, no accounts required etc Just install autoit right click in the source file and click compile to either X86 or X64 executable, which ever you want. Or just run it as is, it will...
  5. Is there any way to prevent automatic driver updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there any way to prevent automatic driver updates?: Hey, is there any way to prevent automatic driver updates in Windows 10, except disconnecting internet? But than, after you enable it, still other drivers/software components install automatically and prompt from mouse drivers keeps popping up from time to time, i don't want...
  6. how to prevent automatic windows update

how to prevent automatic windows update: I wish to check what the windows update does and only install ones I want. There are too many that I do not need. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-automatic-windows-update/55cf74a6-0ead-460c-8dc7-71a6e3ac95cb
  7. Is it really possible to prevent automatic updates from Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it really possible to prevent automatic updates from Windows: I really have this issue with crypto mining rig as they' try to update themselves although I have tried most of the methods to "DISABLE" it. Considering fulling my ssd space right now but I wouldn't like that very much if there's a more practical way to do this...
  8. How can I prevent automatic updates?

How can I prevent automatic updates?: I'm a trucker and have no regular hours. I might need the computer any time, day or night. Automatic updates are insufferable. Sometimes I need something from the computer immediately and the automatic updates take over for a half hour at least. In all previous versions of...
  9. How to Prevent automatic restart in Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

How to Prevent automatic restart in Windows 10 Anniversary Update?: Now that microsoft has removed the ability to force windows 10 to ask to be scheduled and given that "active hours" is a broken concept that doesn't solve any problem, how can I prevent windows from automatically restarting again? Is the only option to turn off windows update...
  10. Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates

Prevent the automatic downloading of its updates: Hi In Windows 10 build 10130, how do I prevent the automatic downloading of its updates? Thanks Bye 7451