Windows 10: Prevent automatically adding device to my account - is it possible?

Discus and support Prevent automatically adding device to my account - is it possible? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. To give some context first, I currently have one device which is activated with a retail Windows 10 Key. I will buy a device with Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by _Laurentiu_, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Prevent automatically adding device to my account - is it possible?

Hello.

To give some context first, I currently have one device which is activated with a retail Windows 10 Key.

I will buy a device with Windows 10 preinstalled on it, so most likely it will have an OEM license.

I can see that devices get automatically linked to my Microsoft account, which is probably how Windows gets activated

automatically or after a hardware change, based on the Microsoft Account.

Since the current device with a retail license is automatically linked with this account I am posting from, where I don't want it to be,

when I get the new device and log in with this Microsoft account on it, what will happen with the retail license? Will it get invalidated because Microsoft detects 2 devices activated on 1 retail key? Or will it not activate Retail and activate as OEM ? Also, can these 2 licenses coexist under the same Microsoft account? Or do I need to manually control my devices for this?

Thank you in advance for your help!

:)

_Laurentiu_, Feb 26, 2020
  2. grumpgrin Win User

Adding PC to Microsoft account list of devices

Hello,

I go into Microsoft account and look under list of devices and it tells me that there are no devices associated with the Microsoft Account. Really? That is strange because the PC I am using is signed in on the Microsoft account. Because the device is not
    listed, it is causing problems with some apps and stuff.

From support around adding devices, it would seem you can only add win 10 devices? So is this why my PC is invisible - because it is running 8.1?

By the way, I have tried waiting for 30 days and it does not automatically appear. I have also signed in with a local and then redone with a Microsoft account and that does nothing either.

Any suggestions please?

regards,

grumpgrin, Feb 26, 2020
  3. johnpd Win User
    Adding a Device to Microsoft Account Requires a MS Account User

I noticed that my newer Windows 10 computer had not been added to my list of devices on my Microsoft Account so I attempted to add it, only to find out that apparently the computer must be logged in to a Microsoft account user in order to do this. I only have local accounts set up on my computers and I don't particularly want a Microsoft account user set up as I will never use it. With the latest Win10 versions apparently Microsoft wants all computers to have a Microsoft account user set up as they make it very difficult to set up a local user as the first account. Does anyone have any way around this? I am not sure what listing this device on your account buys you.

JohnD

johnpd, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Vesao Win User

Prevent automatically adding device to my account - is it possible?

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

Prevent automatically adding device to my account - is it possible?

1. Prevent automatically adding device to my account - is it possible? - Similar Threads - Prevent automatically adding

2. Is it possible to fix automatic adding of a language to my system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to fix automatic adding of a language to my system?: I've been fighting with this problem.... for many years. I've looked through a lot of solutions and none of them even worked. I have to Idea why it does that and how to fix it. Maybe someone here would be able to help me.I have two keyboard layouts. German one and Russian....
  3. Is it possible to fix automatic adding of a language to my system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to fix automatic adding of a language to my system?: I've been fighting with this problem.... for many years. I've looked through a lot of solutions and none of them even worked. I have to Idea why it does that and how to fix it. Maybe someone here would be able to help me.I have two keyboard layouts. German one and Russian....
  4. Two unknown device gets added in my "Device List" automatically.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two unknown device gets added in my "Device List" automatically.: I am using windows 10. I recently installed and uninstalled Docker and VMware after which I got weird screen flickering issues after shutting down the laptop and powering it on. I had to restart after turning on in order to stop the weird screen flickering. I think I found...
  5. adding a device to my microsoft account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    adding a device to my microsoft account: I cant seem to add another PC to my account even though it says I have up to 10 available to add. When I go to the add device screen it doesn't appear, says my device is turned off which it isn't and then when I try to add a device it just takes me back to the instruction...
  6. Adding device to child's account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding device to child's account: Hello, I am trying to add a device to my child's account. I see the device in the device page https://account.microsoft.com/devices/ and it is listed under my name and not my child's. When I look at devices linked to my child, I get a page with a message: "We don't see...
  7. Adding a device to my account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Adding a device to my account: Im trying to add a device to my microsoft account. I have followed the steps but its still not showing up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-device-to-my-account/44a93c08-1dd1-420b-9027-bcf4d4511949"
  8. Is it really possible to prevent automatic updates from Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it really possible to prevent automatic updates from Windows: I really have this issue with crypto mining rig as they' try to update themselves although I have tried most of the methods to "DISABLE" it. Considering fulling my ssd space right now but I wouldn't like that very much if there's a more practical way to do this...
  9. Adding a Device to My Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Adding a Device to My Account: I accidentally removed a new computer from my Microsoft account. How can I add it again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/adding-a-device-to-my-account/e4dd57b7-bb02-4c40-9b5a-9b64328f9440"
  10. Adding devices to my MS Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding devices to my MS Account: I subscribed to Office on one pc; how can I add another pc on the same account? The only selection is add a Local Account, which was denied....