Windows 10: Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In this post, we will show you how you can prevent deleting browsing history and download history in Microsoft Edge. There are a couple of features... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 27, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge

In this post, we will show you how you can prevent deleting browsing history and download history in Microsoft Edge. There are a couple of features present in Windows 10 that can help you disable delete or remove options for browser history and download history in Edge browser. This post covers step-by-step instructions for those features.

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge prevent-browsing-data-microsoft-edge.png

Browsing history and download history in Edge browser keep the information about the pages you’ve visited today or in the past days and tools downloaded by you. While many users delete such data from time to time or set it to automatically clear browsing history and other data on exit, other users prefer to keep browsing and download history. Those who don’t want their browsing and download history to get deleted by mistake or accident can try the options covered in this post.

Prevent deleting browsing history & download history in Edge

To disable deleting browsing history and download history in Edge browser, you can use two built-in tools of Windows 10. Once you’ve configured any of these tools, the delete option for browsing history and download history will be removed from the Downloads page and History page. The clear browsing data option also won’t work for browsing and download history. You can continue to access your browsing history and download history as you do, only the remove options won’t be there. The tools are:

1. Registry Editor
    2. Group Policy Editor.

Let’s have a look at these options.

1] Registry Editor

First of all, backup Registry Editor before you try this trick. After that, follow these steps:

1. Open Registry Editor window
    2. Go to the Microsoft key
    3. Create an Edge key
    4. Create AllowDeletingBrowserHistory DWORD value
    5. Close Registry Editor window.

In the first step, use the Search box, write regedit, and hit the Enter key to open the Registry Editor window.

After that, go to the Microsoft Registry key. The path is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge go-to-Microsoft-Registry-key.png

Under this Microsoft key, create a new Registry key, and name it Edge.

On the right-hand section of the Edge key, create AllowDeletingBrowserHistory DWORD Value.

To create that key, right-click, use the New menu, and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value. After creating that value, set the name as AllowDeletingBrowserHistory.

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge create-AllowDeletingBrowserHistory-DWORD-value.png

Now close the Registry Editor window.

To enable deleting browsing history and download history again in Edge browser, use the above steps, and delete Edge key.

2] Group Policy Editor

To use this feature, first, you have to add Group Policy templates for the Edge browser. Though Group Policy settings are already present for Edge browser, those don’t work for the new Chromium-based Edge browser. So, add required Group Policy templates, and then use these steps:

1. Open Group Policy Editor
    2. Go to the Microsoft Edge folder
    3. Open Enable deleting browser and download history setting
    4. Select Disabled option
    5. Press OK.

Type gpedit in the Search box and use Enter key to open Group Policy Editor.

Now go to the Microsoft Edge folder. You can access that folder using this path:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Classic Administrative Templates (ADM) > Microsoft Edge

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge go-to-Microsoft-Edge-folder.png

On the right-hand section, access and open Enable deleting browser and download history setting by double-clicking on that setting.

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge select-Disabled-option.png

When a separate window is opened, select the Disabled option, and press OK. It will disable the options to delete download history and browsing history in the Edge browser.

Read next: Enable or disable sync for all Microsoft Edge profiles.

To re-enable deleting browsing history and download history in Microsoft Edge, just follow the above steps, and use the Not Configured option in the last step. Press OK to save the changes.

Hope this is helpful.

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge prevent-browsing-data-microsoft-edge.png
    This article Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 27, 2021
  2. Ruz San Win User

Microsoft Edge - Browser History?

Hi Barry,

Browsers keep all websites that you have accessed unless you delete the browsing history. Edge and Internet Explorer can keep the history of the accessed websites up to 999 days. To configure the settings, follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Internet Options then press Enter.
    • Under Browsing history, click on Settings.
    • Go to the History tab.
    • Adjust the number of days if necessary.

Let us know if you have questions.

Regards.

Ruz San, Apr 27, 2021
  3. NL414 Win User
    Microsoft Edge - Browser History Retention Time

How long is the Browser History retained within Microsoft Edge and where is this information stored?

A previous poster asked this in 2017 and was advised that "Browsers keep all websites that you have accessed unless you delete the browsing history. Edge and Internet Explorer can keep the history of the accessed websites up to 999 days. To configure the
    settings, follow these steps:

1. Click on Start.
    2. Type Internet Options then press Enter.
    3. Under Browsing history, click on Settings.
    4. Go to the History tab.
    5. Adjust the number of days if necessary."

However this no longer appears to be the case. This value is set to 20 (confirmed within Internet Options and the Registry) but Microsoft Edge appears to be retaining the browsing history for 90 days. There does not appear to be anywhere within Microsoft
    Edge that this can be customised and I have been unable to locate a registry key that stores this information for Microsoft Edge.

NL414, Apr 27, 2021
  4. Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge

Edge Browser History

hello Flyingmd

To view your browsing history, select Hub ( is the half star on the top right)> History .

there you can see all your history

also yo can see the steps in that link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10607/...

i hope it helps you

Pedro V Flores, Apr 27, 2021
Thema:

Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge

1. Prevent deleting browser history and download history in Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Prevent deleting browser

2. Prevent Browser History deleting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Browser History deleting: HI,can i use gpedit to prevent the users deleting the Browser History of Chrome? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prevent-browser-history-deleting/47b2c82d-6c70-4cae-a960-071b5977cae1
  3. Prevent Browser History deleting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Browser History deleting: HI,can i use gpedit to prevent the users deleting the Browser History of Chrome? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prevent-browser-history-deleting/47b2c82d-6c70-4cae-a960-071b5977cae1
  4. delete browser history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    delete browser history: I want to clear my browser history but don't have the tabs the instructions say to follow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-browser-history/a2936685-8fa9-48f6-a130-9883258484ba
  5. Microsoft Edge - Browser History Retention Time

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge - Browser History Retention Time: How long is the Browser History retained within Microsoft Edge and where is this information stored? A previous poster asked this in 2017 and was advised that "Browsers keep all websites that you have accessed unless you delete the browsing history. Edge and Internet...
  6. Deleteing browser history

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleteing browser history: I am computer illiterate. I am trying to delete something in my browser history. Help says go to "internet options". I have no idea where to go on my computer to find the first step "internet options". Can someone help a senior citizen get through this maze?...
  7. No Browser History in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    No Browser History in Edge: I've checked everything I know to check. I still cannot get any browser history. I get only the statement "You'll see your browsing history here once you've visited a site". 18472
  8. Browser History...

in Browsers and Email
    Browser History...: I noticed that the Registry Key... HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wek yb3d8bbwe\Children\001\Internet Explorer\EdpDomStorage ...seems to keep a complete record of every site...
  9. browser history

in Browsers and Email
    browser history: Hi, I have a problem with browser history not showing in Edge, IE11 and Crome, I use Google as search machine in Edge. Only way I can see earlier seaches is by typing the coresponding letter. I don`t know when this occurred, I probably have set something wrong in settings,...
  10. browser in history of edge

in Browsers and Email
    browser in history of edge: hi In e11 we can browser in the history. Is there a possebility to do that in edge 26925