Windows 10: prevent deletion of desktop or taskbar shortcuts

Discus and support prevent deletion of desktop or taskbar shortcuts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi. I have a Windows 10 home PC where I need to prevent users from deleting or changing shortcuts on the desktop or taskbar. I will settle for not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EdStungevičius, Sep 3, 2019.

1. prevent deletion of desktop or taskbar shortcuts

Hi. I have a Windows 10 home PC where I need to prevent users from deleting or changing shortcuts on the desktop or taskbar. I will settle for not deleting them if I am asking for too much.

I have implemented an Admin Account and a standard user account. People are only allowed to use the standard user account and do not have the admin password.

Any suggestion appreciated. Most annoying is people removing the EDGE and MAIL icons from the desktop or the taskbar. If these two could be made to remain at all times I would consider this request closed.

I don't want to use any shareware or download any third party tools that I have no idea about. There must be a registry setting or something. I was hoping there was a group policy editor but that seems to be not available or hidden on the windows 10 home.

Thank you.

:)

EdStungevičius, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Jay Jap Win User

Taskbar screen saver shortcut

Hello Ozzie,

Normally, it will only allow you to create a shortcut on your desktop but not in your Taskbar. To assist you with your concern, you can follow these steps to circumvent it:

• Send the screensaver shortcut on your desktop.
    • Right-click on the screensaver shortcut and click-on properties.
    • Paste the following information in the Target option under Shortcut C:\Windows\explorer.exe "C:\Windows\System32\scrnsave.scr"
    • Hit Apply.
    • Hit OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jay Jap, Sep 3, 2019
  3. Pin Windows 10 Maps to taskbar or create a desktop shortcut for it

Hi JM,

In pinning an app in taskbar and creating a desktop shortcut, follow the steps below.

A. How to pin apps to taskbar in Windows 10.

• Type Maps in Cortana Search.
    • Right-click on it and choose Pin to Taskbar.

prevent deletion of desktop or taskbar shortcuts 987714d5-eb03-4326-9024-8c5855974ac2.jpg

B. How to create desktop shortcut in Windows 10.

• Right-click an open area on the Desktop.
    • Hover your mouse on New and click Shortcut.
    • Click Browse.
    • Click the program or file you want to create a shortcut.
    • Choose Open and hit Next. You have the option to change the name for the shortcut.
    • Click Finish button if it appears at the bottom of the dialog box.
    • Click Next button if it appears at the bottom of the dialog box.
    • Click the icon you want to use for the shortcut, and then click Finish.

If you have further questions, feel free to reply to this post.

Amylove Loy, Sep 3, 2019
  4. prevent deletion of desktop or taskbar shortcuts

Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

prevent deletion of desktop or taskbar shortcuts

1. prevent deletion of desktop or taskbar shortcuts - Similar Threads - prevent deletion desktop

2. can't delete desktop shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't delete desktop shortcuts: [ATTACH] everytime i try to delete something it says "item not found" and turning into a globe https://preview.redd.it/394w025d6yp61.png?width=84&format=png&auto=webp&s=c967e10948be142ae9ebbf7ae8b96ef61135c10b submitted by /u/xander1090 [link] [comments]...
  3. Desktop Shortcuts won't delete

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Shortcuts won't delete: I have some desktop shortcuts that won't delete when I right-click on them and select delete. I get the following error message: [ATTACH] I have tried to find these files using the command prompt and they don't show up when I use dir. I suspect the issue is because I have...
  4. Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.

Deleted Shortcuts from the desktop.: I have noticed for a while now that certain shortcuts on my desktop keep disappearing into the trashcan, it leaves a blank white space where the shortcut was! I restore them back from the trashcan only to find them back in the trash a little while later, any suggestions...
  5. Pin simple desktop shortcut to taskbar

Pin simple desktop shortcut to taskbar: Using Windows 10, created a simple shortcut to take me to the desktop. Want to pin it to the Taskbar so I can easily get back tot he desktop at anytime. Yes I know you can click on the far right of the bar on the bottom of the screen, but as far as I can tell you have to be...
  6. How to prevent user to deleting shortcuts from the desk?

How to prevent user to deleting shortcuts from the desk?: win10 I found on net the solution -to put the shortcuts in the public desktop folder [/this pc/local disk/users/public/public desktop ] - but it doesn't work for me -and the user still can delete them what can I do?...
  7. Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar

Moving desktop shortcut to taskbar: I have regularly pinned desktop shortcut icons to my taskbar simply by dragging them there. Currently I have one otherwise ordinary desktop icon which refuses to even offer me the option of being pinned. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution?...
  8. desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working

desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working: Desktop and taskbar shortcuts not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-and-taskbar-shortcuts-not-working/0a60d373-afe7-4835-86b4-b97a67c39fd8
  9. Prevent Chrome desktop shortcut in Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Prevent Chrome desktop shortcut in Windows 10: When I install Chrome, it puts a shortcut on the Desktop. I prefer it Pinned to the Start Menu to keep the Desktop clean looking. Problem is whenever a new user logs into the machine, the desktop shortcut is added by default. How can I prevent this? 49072
  10. "Duplicate" shortcuts on the taskbar get deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    "Duplicate" shortcuts on the taskbar get deleted: I have a weirdly specific but (to me) very annoying problem. I have two shortcuts to Chrome on my Taskbar, or at least I used to. The first is the default shortcut. The second opens up a specific page in Incognito mode using some command line stuff. I use it about 10 times...