Windows 10: Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's

Discus and support Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all - Have this strange problem. Take a peek - just an example of the error not the application type: [img] This occurs with all desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Compumind, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Compumind Win User

Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's

Hi all -

Have this strange problem.

Take a peek - just an example of the error not the application type:

Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's [​IMG]

This occurs with all desktop shortcuts to URL's after I reset my Default Apps in PC Settings.
    Checked and made temporary changes to UAC, Smart Screen, Group Policy, to no avail.

What when wrong and how can I correct this? Strange.

Many thanks!

*Zip

:)

Compumind, Dec 18, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 18, 2020
  3. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 18, 2020
  4. Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's

Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's

1. Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's - Similar Threads - Prevent open file

2. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  3. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  4. Desktop Starts with "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Starts with "How do you want to open this file?": Recently reinstalled Win10 on a new SSD to resolve a problem on the old SSD. Everything seemed to be going fine, several reboots no issues. Reinstalling software etc., then on one restart or cold boot, I get the desktop with this app notification asking how to open this file?...
  5. Desktop Starts with "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Starts with "How do you want to open this file?": Recently reinstalled Win10 on a new SSD to resolve a problem on the old SSD. Everything seemed to be going fine, several reboots no issues. Reinstalling software etc., then on one restart or cold boot, I get the desktop with this app notification asking how to open this file?...
  6. Desktop Starts with "How do you want to open this file?"

7. Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prevent "Do you want to open this file?" for Desktop Shortcut URL's: Hi all - Have this strange problem. Take a peek - just an example of the error not the application type: [img] This occurs with all desktop shortcuts to URL's after I reset my Default Apps in PC Settings. Checked and made temporary changes to UAC, Smart Screen, Group...
  8. URL shortcut - open with

in Browsers and Email
    URL shortcut - open with: You can make shortcuts for programs, but a special thing is to make shortcuts to web URL's The thing is, if you right click on these, there's no open to open this URL with this or that browser. I would prefer that you have that option for each separate URL shortcut, but then...
  9. URL shortcut - open with

URL shortcut - open with: You can make shortcuts for programs, but a special thing is to make shortcuts to web URL's The thing is, if you right click on these, there's no open to open this URL with this or that browser. I would prefer that you have that option for each separate URL shortcut, but then...
  10. "Do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Do you want to open this file?": Every time I want to open downloaded from internet image file I receive a warning message "do you want to open this file?" which makes me crazy.Is any way to disable this,PLEASE? 27759