Windows 10: prevent fake microsoft security browser takeovers

Discus and support prevent fake microsoft security browser takeovers in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've read lots of posts on how to recover from the fake MS security nuisance. But I have not seen a solution on how to prevent this nuisance from... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jbaggins1, Oct 23, 2019.

1. jbaggins1 Win User

prevent fake microsoft security browser takeovers

I've read lots of posts on how to recover from the fake MS security nuisance. But I have not seen a solution on how to prevent this nuisance from occurring. Suggestions? Thanks.

I'm using Win 10 home, version 1903. Also, I use the Edge browser most of the time, but I know the screen freeze happens on other browsers as well.

:)

jbaggins1, Oct 23, 2019

2. Takeover

That's a fake warning/alert, a so-called Tech Support scam which is widely spread.
    It does not necessarily mean that your computer is infected.

Since you are using Edge, you should have a look at the posts/links etc in
    this
    thread...........

Suggestion to take the time and to carefully read Beware of Phony
    Emails &Tech Support Scams

which provides background information how to easily close such sites and what you can do to prevent this from happening again.

Also suggestion to get a good advertisment blocker. Personally I use uBlock origin which blocks all kinds of unwanted stuff.

My prefered browser is Firefox.

See
    this
    thread for more info.

Some more informational articles:

Jsssssssss, Oct 23, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Beware of Hicurdismos: A fake Microsoft Security Essentials installer

Source: Beware of Hicurdismos: It's a fake Microsoft Security Essentials installer that can lead to a support call scam Microsoft Malware Protection Center

Brink, Oct 23, 2019
  4. prevent fake microsoft security browser takeovers

microsoft security warning

In addition to Le Boule's good advice:

To prevent such fake and unwanted pop ups/warnings/alerts , please do get a good blocker extension for your browser.

Personally I use and recommend uBlock Origin.

Suggestion to take the time to read everything here:
    Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
    which includes Resources to protect your browser, privacy & help prevent browser pop-up ads and scams and much more.

Jsssssssss, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

prevent fake microsoft security browser takeovers

1. prevent fake microsoft security browser takeovers - Similar Threads - prevent fake microsoft

2. fake microsoft email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fake microsoft email: i received a fake microsoft email saying i need to renew windows defender is the an email address that i should forward it to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fake-microsoft-email/be790077-b03a-4b3c-8b3e-018c5fb97e39
  3. fake microsoft email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fake microsoft email: i received a fake microsoft email saying i need to renew windows defender is the an email address that i should forward it to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fake-microsoft-email/be790077-b03a-4b3c-8b3e-018c5fb97e39
  4. One Drive Takeover

in Windows 10 Customization
    One Drive Takeover: Hello, One Drive has totally taken over my laptop. if I unlink or remove one drive in any way my files disappear with it. I would like to keep my One drive totally separate from my pc. no links, no backup. I will save or back up anything that I think needs to be saved. How...
  5. Fake Security warnings using Microsoft Edge

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fake Security warnings using Microsoft Edge: I recently have been getting fake security warnings using Microsoft Edge. I posted a question about this on 3-7-2020 and got the following email screen shot message appearing to be from Microsoft. It's senders address from "Properties" was Microsoft *** Email address is...
  6. Hostile Takeover WDAGUtilityAccount

Hostile Takeover WDAGUtilityAccount: Has Microsoft become no better then the common hacker, or are they just handing people's systems over to any want-a-be hackers that come along? I am owner and administrator of my system. I disabled and will not allow Windows Defender to run on any system I own. these...
  7. Microsoft Jigsaw Ad Opens Browser Tab With Fake Microsoft Lotto

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Jigsaw Ad Opens Browser Tab With Fake Microsoft Lotto: I keep getting an ad on Microsoft Jigsaw that opens my browser via beautifulvacation.club with a notification box disguised as a system message that says you've won a chance to win a trip. I feel like there should be a report button for this, but I can't find any way to...
  8. Fake Security Breach Phonecalls

Fake Security Breach Phonecalls: I keep getting these phone calls from people with Indian accents claiming to be Micrsoft Security technicians calling to clear up a breach in my computer's security. I just got a call at 4:49 pm 2.4.19 from 1-800-892-5234. They keep calling from different numbers. I know...
  9. Google email takeover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google email takeover: I posted a problem and later found that the answer concerns the EBay site. using Windows 10 and Google Chrome email. When opening Google Chrome email and then using it to open Outlook, upon trying to return to the Chrome email home page it insisted on a search page...
  10. Beware of Hicurdismos: A fake Microsoft Security Essentials installer

in Windows 10 News
    Beware of Hicurdismos: A fake Microsoft Security Essentials installer: Wouldn’t it be a shame if, in trying to secure your PC, you inadvertently install malware and run the risk of being scammed? We recently discovered a threat detected as SupportScam:MSIL/Hicurdismos.A that pretends to be a Microsoft Security Essentials installer. Microsoft...