Windows 10: Prevent File(s) being deleted in Internet Explorer's temp files

Discus and support Prevent File(s) being deleted in Internet Explorer's temp files in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS Version: 10.0.17134 N/A Build 17134 Internet Explorer 11 is the version we use. Scenario: User logs into... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pandaman15, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Prevent File(s) being deleted in Internet Explorer's temp files

Hello,

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    OS Version: 10.0.17134 N/A Build 17134
    Internet Explorer 11 is the version we use.

Scenario:
    User logs into silverlight website. If the temp file is there, it will load quickly. If the temp file is missing, it will take about 5 minutes to load the site based on a specific temp file being on the machine. Multiple times a day, the event viewer shows that the temp files get deleted, causing the user to have to wait 5 minutes, upon logging in, to load several times a day.

I have a file on an employee's computer that builds in Internet Explorer's temp files when using an online service. It happens to multiple users here, but the creator of the site/service says that we are the only ones with the issue. The site is a silverlight site that only works in IE. I need a file to not be deleted at random multiple times daily. The file in question is RinconClient[1].xap, pictured below in the Event Viewer, with file auditing turned on. Looking the event viewer shows that the temp files get deleted a few times daily by taskhostw.exe.

Prevent File(s) being deleted in Internet Explorer's temp files [​IMG]

I have narrowed it down to either dllhost.exe or taskhostw.exe deleting the file. We have antivirus software which has not detected anything malicious in regards to the RinconClient[1].xap file. As I have discovered, dllhost.exe may be from the user manually deleting the cache and cookies in IE settings. However, this issue has been happening long before the user was instructed to do so by another department. So I believe it is still taskhostw.exe that is deleting the file.

In Internet Explorer, I have
    Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed = Unchecked
    Delete Browsing History no exit = Unchecked
    Check for Newer versions of stored pages = Never
    Allow website caches and databases = Checked
    Disk Space to use = 330 MB
    Days to keep pages in history = 20

In Task Scheduler
    CleanupTemporaryState = Disabled
    SilentCleanup = Disabled

I have messed with permissions to the C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\IE folders and subfolders. I do not remember the exact permissions I have changed as this is an issue I've been dealing with on and off for a while. From what I remember, I tried locking down some folders to certain rights, which either caused more issues or no changes.
    Another thing I tried was to make the file non-deletable by removing everyone's ability to delete the file. Another file just got created instead, not resolving the issue.

I have tried a script which copies the file to each folder and subfolder in
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\IE
    Did not resolve the issue.

What I have right now is

Though I don't think messing with folder permissions is the right way to do keep temporary internet files even if it did work.

The rights in the second pic are applied to the 3 principals, with inheritance disabled.
    The full control is my account. This did not work

On my machine, I deleted the websites from the Application Storage list in Silverlight's settings. No change occurred.

One more thing, that I can think of, that I have not yet tried is changing Autorun to 0 in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporar y Files or any registry changes.

I have done these same changes on my machine, and the file is still there and the issue does not occur.
    Another employee's computer only has the 2 tasks from above disabled and has not had any issues for a few months.

I have made the same changes to the user's machine to no avail.

Is there a way to make sure IE's temp files do not get cleared out or to protect that file and keep it longer?

:)

pandaman15, Jan 24, 2019

2. Problem deleting Internet temp Files

1. Open either Microsoft Internet Explorer or the Windows Control Panel.
    2. In Microsoft Internet Explorer, open the Tools menu and choose the Internet Options menu.
    3. In Control Panel. open the Internet Options list item. In either case, a new window titled "Internet Properties" appears.
    4. In the Temporary Internet Files section of the Internet Properties window, click the "Delete Files..." button. A new "Delete Files" window appears.
    5. In the "Delete Files" window, optionally check the "Delete all offline content" checkbox to also remove temporary files IE has saved for offline viewing. Click OK. A delay of up to several minutes may occur as IE proceeds to delete the temporary files it has cached. If the "Delete all offline content" checkbox is not checked, IE will not delete temporary files associated with offline content; otherwise, all temporary files will be deleted.
    6.Click OK to close the Internet Options window.

robertosburn, Jan 24, 2019
  3. Temporary files, temp internet files and thumbnails deletion

Hi,

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1

1.Press Windows key + R

2.Type temp and click OK

3.Press Ctrl + A and click Delete
    Step 2

1.Press Windows key + R

2.Type %temp% and click OK

Step 3

1.Press Windows key + R

2.Type prefetch and click OK

If the issue still persist, places computer in clean boot state and check if it helps.

Method2: Clean boot.
    Check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.
    A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also
    troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean
    boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
    may prevent you from following these steps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting”
    to boot the computer in normal mode.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jan 24, 2019
  4. macbeth Win User

Prevent File(s) being deleted in Internet Explorer's temp files

Cannot delete files in Temp

There are a few files that i cant delete in
    C:\Documents and Settings\1st User\Local Settings\Temp
    which are ~DF567B.tmp, ~DFB71E.tmp, ~ROMFN_000007A8 and Perflib_Perfdata_7a8.dat. And some times there are a few more.
    What are these files and why cant they be deleted?

macbeth, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

Prevent File(s) being deleted in Internet Explorer's temp files

1. Prevent File(s) being deleted in Internet Explorer's temp files - Similar Threads - Prevent File being

2. Temp. Internet Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temp. Internet Files: Have 32 MBS of Temp. Internet files that won't delete no matter what I try. Started about a month ago, even CCleaner won't empty it , which it always did before..Can it be from a recent App. install? Ran antivirus several times and nothing...Disk Cleanup does nothing...
  3. Temp. Internet Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp. Internet Files: Have 32 MBS of Temp. Internet files that won't delete no matter what I try. Started about a month ago, even CCleaner won't empty it , which it always did before..Can it be from a recent App. install? Ran antivirus several times and nothing...Disk Cleanup does nothing...
  4. Temp. Internet Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. delete a temp file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    delete a temp file: i need to delete a temp file when we go inSETTINGS>STORAGE>TEMPORARY FILERS> AT BOTTOM THERE IS AN UPDATE THING I NEED TO DELETE IT DONE IT PRIOR BUT FORGOT HOW TO DO IT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-temp-file/2bdc3ccf-9129-479d-a8f1-9ecfc30f7121
  6. Delete Temp files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Temp files: Hell I press window key plus R then temp and also %temp%. Then with each folder O do control A, the items highlight but access is denied to a bunch of the folders What should I do? Thanks...
  7. Temp file in File Explorer

Temp file in File Explorer: Following a recent update, the Excel temp file shows up in File Explorer, as it should, but then it disappears, then pops up again, then disappears and pops up again, erratic but about every one or two seconds. As it appears at the top of the list, each time it appears it...
  8. deleting temp internet files and disk defrag

deleting temp internet files and disk defrag: Hi How do I delete temp internet file and do a disk defrag, I bought my laptop from a pawn shop. and for some reason I cannot do this I I also cannot download anything from the internet at all. please help I have never had this problem before. also I have never owned this...
  9. Problem deleting Internet temp Files

in Browsers and Email
    Problem deleting Internet temp Files: When I go to control panel and then storage, under Internet temproray Files, it shows 3.5GB. When I try and delete it, Windows has a message saying it will delete it and to be patient, but it does not delete anything. Boot up the computer again and it still shows 3.5GB. If...
  10. Delete Temp Internet Files

in Browsers and Email
    Delete Temp Internet Files: I have read I guess all over the net how to delete temp internet files, I have tried everything inc CCleaner nothing seems to work, and I notice that people have written from about august 2015. Am using a new dell xps 8900 desktop with win 10 pro, am I right to think there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 prevent files from being deleted from %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp