Windows 10: Prevent HDD auto-mount

Discus and support Prevent HDD auto-mount in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, everyone! I've just installed a dual boot system, with two Windows 10 (one for work, one for gaming). I have a single HDD with two NTFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mix, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MIX
    mix Win User

Prevent HDD auto-mount

Hi, everyone!

I've just installed a dual boot system, with two Windows 10 (one for work, one for gaming). I have a single HDD with two NTFS partitions for the two OS.
    Let's call the two OS Win1 and Win2.
    Win1 maps his own partition (system partition) as C:, and Win2 partition (seen as data partition) as D:.
    Same, Win2 maps his own partition (system partition) as C:, and Win1 partition (seen as data partition) as D:.
    I don't want to share things between the two systems. So, I want that Win1 will display just its own C: drive, without auto-mounting Win2 drive as D:. (same behavior dor Win2)

Is there a way to do so?

Thanks!

:)

2. Windows 10 fresh install with OS on SSD and C:\Users on HDD using DISKPART?

I'm not as interested in backing up an existing Users folder on Windows, but instead I want to do a fully clean install (two unpartitioned hard drives), and mount the HDD as C:\Users and the SDD partitioned as C:. Mounting drives as folders is supported
    in NTFS and has been for some time - I'm looking to benefit from this feature by mounting the HDD as C:\Users. Hopefully this helps clarify my original request.

Brian Abram, Jan 8, 2017
  3. marcomrco Win User
    BIOS sees HDD windows 10 PRO doesn't

Hi everybody, I've got a big problem, I've just formatted my HDD and installed w10. I had 3 HDD the first two of them (C: and DPrevent HDD auto-mount :) doesn't have any problems but F: doesn't show up. On disk management I can see an unamed volume (which is 259 MB)

The main problem is that the third HDD (FPrevent HDD auto-mount :) is encrypted with bitlocker and I can't unlock or see anymore. I've already tried to switch the jumper and enable the auto mount but nothing just the BIOS sees it.

Previously I had windows 7 ultimate (where I first encrypted my HDD)

PS with an external program I'm able to see and decrypt but unable to recover its content (unless i buy the external software)

marcomrco, Jan 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Prevent HDD auto-mount

Hi @mix, Welcome to TenForums!

In Windows you can 'hide' a partition by removing its drive letter. You can use Disk Management to do this, find it in: Control Panel > System and Security > 'Create and format hard disk partitions' (or just type Disk Management in the Cortana/Search box next to Start).

In Win1, run Disk Management and right-click on its D: partition. Select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...' then click the Remove button to remove the drive letter D:. Now do the same in Win2 to remove its 'drive D:' (you'll notice that Win1 and Win2 have different letters for the partitions, Win2's 'drive D:' is the partition Win1 sees as C: ). You should now find Win1 and Win2 only see their own C: drives.

Bree, Jan 9, 2017
  5. MIX
    mix Win User
    Great!!! That was exactly what I needed.
    Many thanks!

Thema:

Prevent HDD auto-mount

1. Prevent HDD auto-mount - Similar Threads - Prevent HDD auto

2. how to mount a HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to mount a HDD: so I have a problem with my case that if I mount my HDD the way it must be the vibration is too much and case makes noise and since my case is on table it is annoying to hear vibration of case front panel Anyways today I decided to mount it angled in a way and secure around...
  3. how to mount a HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to mount a HDD: so I have a problem with my case that if I mount my HDD the way it must be the vibration is too much and case makes noise and since my case is on table it is annoying to hear vibration of case front panel Anyways today I decided to mount it angled in a way and secure around...
  4. how to mount a HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Browsers and Email
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  6. Preventing Edge auto-launch

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing Edge auto-launch: Edge interrupts my video watching, by auto-launching and telling me that the internet is not connected. I've tried to prevent that by uninstalling it from Control Panel - which does not give that option, but only offers CHANGE. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller and...
  7. VHDX Auto Mount at Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VHDX Auto Mount at Startup: [ATTACH] I'm having trouble getting a VHDX to auto mount at startup. I'm using the guide found here, but it's not working. When I paste the same PoweShell command in an elevated PowerShell window, the VHDX mounts correctly. Here's the error I'm getting in Task Scheduler....
  8. Preventing Auto Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Preventing Auto Updates: I'm having startup issues with a Windows 10 Build: Cumulative update for Windows 10 ver. 1511 KB3192444. (I hope I copied it correctly). Before this update is installed the problem doesn't exist, after it's installed it does. I posted this issue here but have not gotten...
  9. Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with Windows auto-mounting drives that shouldn't be mounted: [img] You can see from the image above that random drives get drive letters assigned to them for no reason. In addition to that, I can't even remove the drive letters, unless I use diskpart, but then that doesn't stick between reboots. Any ideas? 41103
  10. HDD mounting brackets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD mounting brackets: Sorry for the dumb question....but hoping to get more space in the SSD/HDD case rack. Does it matter if the brackets in pic are mounted "u" up or down as far as how many drives are mounted in case rack? I have them 'up' but seems to me alot of wasted space this way ??...