Windows 10: Prevent local IP address from changing after logon

Discus and support Prevent local IP address from changing after logon in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks I've only noticed this recently after ISP upgraded its network. I have a NAS that at logon time gets assigned an IP address via DHCP -- that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Prevent local IP address from changing after logon

Hi folks
    I've only noticed this recently after ISP upgraded its network. I have a NAS that at logon time gets assigned an IP address via DHCP -- that's fine - I rarely re-boot the server - but since the ISP upgrade the local IP address changes for example from 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.27 -- this means that all the Windows clients go Bonkers as they can't see the server. I do get round this by stopping and restarting the samba services (smb(d) and nmb(d).

However while your external IP address (the one people see on the Public Internet) can change and that's fine why on earth should the local addresses be affected. I really want to get away from using fixed local IP addresses.

There doesn't seem to be any settings on the router to preserve DHCP assigned addresses either.

here the local IP has changed to 192.168.1.27 which hoses up windows clients as they can't see it any more until smaba restarted.

Prevent local IP address from changing after logon [​IMG]

On the Router should I enable this "auto reserve" --I'm not sure what that means.

Prevent local IP address from changing after logon [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 25, 2019

2. Finding IP address

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to find printer’s IP address:

1. Type Devices and Printers in the Windows search bar.
    2. Select on the printer and click on
      Manage.
    3. Click on the Ports tab.
      You will be able to find printer’s IP address under the ‘Ports’ tab.

Few printers also have a “Test print” option on the printer. When you print a test page from network printer, the page shows the IP address along with other details.

Note: If it is set on DHCP mode the IP address will constantly change.
    The IP address is assigned automatically by your router using a protocol called DHCP.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jun 25, 2019
  3. bencrutz Win User
    Assigning Static IP Address Range in a Router

yep, pretty much all.

for point #2 if you are having difficulty binding static IP in the router, it is ok to set static IP in the camera instead - just make sure you take a note on which IP is which camera so that you wouldnt put the wrong IP in the port forwarding.

am not sure what you meant. you don't need ddns to access the camera locally (from inside your LAN) *Confused Prevent local IP address from changing after logon :confused:

bencrutz, Jun 25, 2019
  4. Prevent local IP address from changing after logon

Divya Murugan, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

Prevent local IP address from changing after logon

1. Prevent local IP address from changing after logon - Similar Threads - Prevent local address

2. How to change IP address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change IP address: I have reason to believe that hackers have changed my IP address. If I do change it will I need to make any other changes as far as internet connections etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-ip-address/154b7011-d926-4f90-a3ac-82db529b1251
  3. How to change IP address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change IP address: I have reason to believe that hackers have changed my IP address. If I do change it will I need to make any other changes as far as internet connections etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-ip-address/154b7011-d926-4f90-a3ac-82db529b1251
  4. change ip address

change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  5. change ip address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  6. change ip address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Change IP4v IP Address

Change IP4v IP Address: I have a network camera with the default IP Address as 192.168.5.163. My PC runs Windows 10, 20H2 and is currently using DHCP. It is connected to a POE switch that gives my PC this IPv4 IP Address 192.168.0.26. How do I change it so that I can access the camera? Thanks....
  8. How to change an IP address

How to change an IP address: I am setting up a new laptop with Windows 10. I have always used Mozilla (sorry) and downloaded it and set it up with my email address. Now it is telling me that my IP address is that of my old computer (also does the same if I use the Edge browser). What should I do? Thank...
  9. Change my IP address

Change my IP address: How on earth do I randomly change my IP address? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-ip-address/2923e617-4618-4df9-8bfa-181e82098d5b
  10. Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time

Stop local IP address from changing a few hours after boot time: Hi folks I've only noticed this recently after ISP upgraded its network. I have a Linux NAS sysem server which serves to a few Windows clients . The server gets at boot time an assigned an IP address via DHCP -- that's fine - I rarely re-boot the server - but since the ISP...