Windows 10: Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up?

Discus and support Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, I've noticed my external hard drives automatically power up when my computer does, and it then takes them a good half hour or more to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IndyPendant1, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up?

Hi there,

I've noticed my external hard drives automatically power up when my computer does, and it then takes them a good half hour or more to eventually power down. Not a big deal, but it's annoying because they're noisy. I do access at least one of them regularly though, so it would not be a good solution to just unplug them.

I've done my Google diligence, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution. I'm using Windows 10, with a reasonably high-end computer I just purchased this year. I don't -think- there's anything actually working incorrectly here (but I might be wrong : ). I'm looking for one of the following options:

1) Prevent the drives from automatically powering up when I boot up/login, and when I just activate Explorer, but still allow me to access the drives whenever I want.

2) Perhaps a method of "manually" turning off Windows accessing the hard drives, that I could then easily turn on again when I actually want to access them. I could just unplug/plug the USBs, but the ports are in the back of the computer. Even they were more convenient to reach, I'm concerned that doing that dozens upon dozens of times will eventually cause physically damage to the plugs themselves. Is there possibly some easy-to-set-up access/no access toggle in Windows that I'm not aware of?

3) Another idea I may not have thought of, that would prevent these drives from spinning up when I don't actually want to use them.

Thanks in advance!

:)

IndyPendant1, Nov 24, 2018

2. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 24, 2018
  4. twynog Win User

Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up?

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up?

1. Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up? - Similar Threads - Prevent computer auto

2. back up my hard drive to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up my hard drive to an external hard drive: backing up my hard drive to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-my-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive/322809a8-5ac9-408c-998d-8a2ecdcd1906
  3. External hard drive wont auto start

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive wont auto start: I have a an external hard drive that shows in the devices but does not open on my windows 10 can you help please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-auto-start/5bb24d53-d0fc-41e5-b088-a5e1e4939240
  4. can not auto play dvd from external hard drive

can not auto play dvd from external hard drive: i have external dvd drive, i can see the dvd name on e drive but it will not autoplay, only gives the option of no action or going into microsoft store it says when i press auto play, choose what to do with dvd, but only gives two options, take no action or open microsoft...
  5. Windows Xp booting from external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Xp booting from external hard drive.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Burtonlefty [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/efywhl/windows_xp_booting_from_external_hard_drive/
  6. Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive

Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive: Windows 10 version 1903 I recently decided to finally upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10. I bought a new SSD, removed my old SSD, and installed Windows 10 on the new one. This way I'd be able to go back to my old system if I forgot to back something up or just didn't...
  7. Back Up from computer to external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back Up from computer to external hard drive: I am using Windows10 64byt and want to back up "This Pc" to my external hard drive, a WM Elements. How should I do this please? I have tried various methods discribed on your site all to no avail....
  8. External Hard Drive Power Off?

External Hard Drive Power Off?: I have a WD 2TB Mypassport drive and for some reason after I shut down my desktop it still has power to it and the light blinks. I want to completely shut off everything when I shut down my PC. I checked all of the power setting and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have...
  9. How to auto save on an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to auto save on an external hard drive: I have bought a 1 Tb Seagate external hard drive to auto back up my hard drive every hour. I have normally been able to manually back up folders and files to an external hard drive, but for some reason I cannot get the Seagate to start working to automate the backup every...
  10. External Hard Drive won't power up

External Hard Drive won't power up: I have an old usb 2.0 external drive enclosure with a ~150GB Hitachi drive, that works fine. I took a 500GB drive from a working Linux system, placed it in the enclosure and when powered up nothing happen, the discs don't spin. Is it a problem between window and linux, or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows opening external hard drive on boot up

2. prevent auto detection of external hard drives on Windows