Windows 10: Prevent program from "phoning home"?

Discus and support Prevent program from "phoning home"? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; (EDIT - Sincere apologies to admin for putting this in the wrong category. Am proper poorly with flu so can't think straight. Thank you for moving.)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by clemenzina, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Prevent program from "phoning home"?

(EDIT - Sincere apologies to admin for putting this in the wrong category. Am proper poorly with flu so can't think straight. Thank you for moving.)

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Windows10Home

This problem is probably nothing to do with Win10, but it's the OS I'm using so I'm hoping someone here has the expertise/insight to help me.

For nearly 7 years I've been using a video editor which is easy to use and does exactly what I need, no frills. I've stuck with an old version because "they" withdrew basic features in newer versions, not a problem here.

Suddenly, several days ago, after installing the old version on this new XPS and using it successfully a few times, the program refused to convert/save clips and froze, I could only close it with TaskMgr.

I paid a fee to unlock the latest version of the software, only to find that my precious "basic features" had not been reinstated so it's no good to me. Started to teach myself Windows Live Movie Maker, but it's not as "good" as my old editor for my purposes.Today, in desperation, I installed the old version again and to my delight it worked normally! But I was in a fool's paradise, as eventually it went into refusal-to-covert mode and froze again, it's unusable.

I wonder if the program is being stymied from afar, and if there is anything that can be done to allow it to keep going?

If it makes any difference, the offending but beloved program is Freemake Video Converter. When I install it I untick "send bug reports" (type of thing) and I use Unchecky to prevent the PUPs from installing.

:)

clemenzina, Dec 26, 2017

2. Mashoutable Inc

Your security program may prevent you from a virus, but not if you "invite them in".

Bruce Hagen, Dec 26, 2017
  3. Partitions for music files

Use YBrowser or another file manager program and change the attribute of the folder to "hidden" this will prevent the Music Player from finding the files.,

el_loco---01, Dec 26, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Prevent program from "phoning home"?

Did you try to run the old version .exe in compatibility mode first? Manually set it to XP or 7 compatibility and test. Good Luck

mrgeek, Dec 26, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Just get the free ultimate movie maker hitfilm express it does everything and loads of tutors on YouTube it really is the best and used by pros most say it's better than Adobe premier

Samuria, Dec 26, 2017
  6. I always install it in compatibility mode, it has been working fine on an older laptop since Win10 came out and has been reinstalled a number of times without a problem. The problem is that on the new laptop it works fine for a while and then stops dead!

The new install of the old version coincides with Freemake deciding to charge for their latest version and freezing that one up until you pay. I've paid, but the latest version has had the basic editing functionality removed so I need to use the old version and obviously it's not covered by the "ransom" paid to unlock the new version.

Thanks for the thought *Smile

Lol, if it's anything like Adobe Premiere it sounds like a nightmare. I may even have tried it, I've tried so many. All I need is to be able to scroll thru many continuous hours, be able to see detail and extract one clip after another, join them up, put fade transitions in, convert/save and upload to YouTube.

I cover a lot of cams, can't waste time, and Freemake (old version!) is the only software I've found that suits my needs.

I just want to know how to stop Freemake stymying the program >*Sad

clemenzina, Dec 26, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    Hitfilm will do all that with easy and its simple to use if you just doing basic and not compositing etc there are so many videos on youtube to walk you through you can soon get it going most donthave the videos to get you going but this does HitFilm Express: Free editing & VFX software - HitFilm.com

Samuria, Dec 27, 2017
  8. Prevent program from "phoning home"?

I knew I'd already tried it - or at least, installed it. Today, the same result as last time. My display is 3840x2160, set by Dell @ 250% (and the icons & text on some apps eg Edge, for heaven's sake! are even then too tiny to read).

This is what HilFilm says:

Prevent program from "phoning home"? [​IMG]

So I uninstalled it.

clemenzina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Prevent program from "phoning home"?

1. Prevent program from "phoning home"? - Similar Threads - Prevent program phoning

2. Prevent Program Window movement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Program Window movement: I have been trying to find a way to size and move several programs on the screen and then "Lock" their positions so that the end user cannot alter the positions or size through mouse movements or keystrokes. For the project I am working on, I will have four programs...
  3. Prevent Program Window movement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Program Window movement: I have been trying to find a way to size and move several programs on the screen and then "Lock" their positions so that the end user cannot alter the positions or size through mouse movements or keystrokes. For the project I am working on, I will have four programs...
  4. Could Defender be preventing a program from running ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Could Defender be preventing a program from running ?: The program SETDEFAULTBROWSER.EXE that I think is meant to open a Command Prompt window, when run, merely gives a brief flash so I get no opportunity to interact with it. Is that a likely/typical effect of defender objecting ? and if so, what are the steps to whitelist it...
  5. Your Phone apps prevent you from making calls

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your Phone apps prevent you from making calls: Hi, I cannot make calls in the Your Phone app. I keep getting the message 'Youhave apps installed that prevent you from making calls' but I have no other apps on my computer like PhoneWise or Dell Mobile Connect. PhoneWise was preinstalled, but it is now uninstalled. What...
  6. Photos from I phone to Microsoft program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos from I phone to Microsoft program: Can you provide step by step instructions on how to change uploading pictures from I phone to my computer? It seems like the cloud pulls in the pictures to the computer but does not add to the pictures file. Thank you....
  7. Unknown programs preventing shutdown.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown programs preventing shutdown.: Hey Reddit! So recently, I've started (probably started a week or so ago) seeing weird programs interrupting and preventing the shutdown of my computer. I have 2 pics (please excuse the language, you get the programs' names anyway) which show the programs on the shutdown...
  8. A program is preventing from shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A program is preventing from shutdown: One program is preventing from shutdown it was not visible clearly at it disappears in seconds, in safe mode it was fine.this problem occurs after removing some default windows software from power shell i have restored all of them through power shell command still the problem...
  9. Prevent starting program from moving to foreground

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent starting program from moving to foreground: Hey there, is there a way to prevent an opening program from moving to the foreground and to keep it staying in the background until I choose to work with it? For example, usually after boot up I open Chrome and Steam. Obviously, Steam is gonna take a little longer to open...
  10. How to prevent certain program from auto update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to prevent certain program from auto update: How to prevent certain program from auto update From Control Panel shows Windows defender firewall from right shows Advanced Setting From right shows Inbound Rules, from lift shows New Rule, and follow the steps 1- اختار برامج 2-حدد مكان البرنامج الذى لا ترغب في تحديثه...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to prevent vlc from phoning home

2. how to prevent quicken from phoning home