Windows 10: Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory

Discus and support Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is it possible to prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory? On privacy setting it only has option for accessing file system. And on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cv_please_staph, May 14, 2020.

1. Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory

Is it possible to prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory?
    On privacy setting it only has option for accessing file system. And on Apps & features setting, not all apps has advanced option button..
    What I want to do is something like "prevent foobar.exe from accessing directory D:/foo/bar or file D:/foo/bar/foobaz.txt (or whatever file format)"
    Or maybe using 3rd party software if possible?

submitted by /u/cv_please_staph
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cv_please_staph, May 14, 2020
  2. aagha Win User

Give access to specific apps for Local User

@dalchina, thanks for the suggestion.

I tried your blanket option, and that didn't work.

I filtered per your suggestion:

Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory [​IMG]

However, it seems there are no settings for that filter:

aagha, May 14, 2020
  3. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, May 14, 2020
  4. aagha Win User

Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory

Give access to specific apps for Local User

Yes, internet is accessible. The Store window opens for a seconds, and then closes. I assumed this was somehow related to permissions.

That works for Irfanview, but what about another dozen apps I might want to give them access to as they get older?

I have disk imaging setup daily to both cloud (Wasabi, daily) and a NAS (weekly).

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Win 10 Pro.

I'll check out group policies.

- - - Updated - - -
    @bro67, I see that if my "Run only specified Win apps" is Not configured (the default setting) or Disabled, users should be able to run all applications:

So, I'm wondering what the policy setting should be.

I'd rather have an exclusive setting (let them run only what I want) rather than an inclusive one (run everything, and specify what they can't--there's too many appliccations on my PC).

- - - Updated - - -

I found this post on TenForums and figured out how to create a local Group policy for one of my kids:

Apply Local Group Policy to Specific User in Windows 10

I went into "Run only specified Win apps" for that account and Disable it. Then, I logged in as my kid, and tried to launch different programs:

• Chrome - Launches fine, verified internet connection
    • Store - Nothing happens
    • IrfanView - Installed for me locally (from the install file, not the Store), but doesn't appear for my kid
    • Inkscape - Won't launch (works when I launch it from my account)
    • Affinity Designer - Won't launch (works when I launch it from my account)
    • 3d View - Won't launch (works when I launch it from my account)

If it helps, I made this video that shows me going through and launching each of these, above so you can see what's happening:

https://www.screencast.com/t/DJxtDWhLsQyQ

aagha, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory

1. Prevent specific app for accessing specific file / directory - Similar Threads - Prevent specific app

2. Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps: Hi everyone,in our company we use intune to enroll company device, for security reasons we decide to prevent users of screenshooting specific app, we would like to prevent screenshot inside specific application and don't block all screen capture on the device.is it possible...
  3. Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Prevent Screen Capturing in specific apps: Hi everyone,in our company we use intune to enroll company device, for security reasons we decide to prevent users of screenshooting specific app, we would like to prevent screenshot inside specific application and don't block all screen capture on the device.is it possible...
  4. User Account Access For Specific Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Account Access For Specific Apps: Every time I boot up my pc, UAC asks if steelseriesapp has permission to make changes to my computer and every time I press yes. Is there a way to always allow this app to make changes instead of getting this pop up after every boot. I know there is the option to turn of UAC...
  5. Opening a file with a specific app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Opening a file with a specific app: Is there any way to open a specific file with a specific app? I' d like to automatically open a file with a certain pdf reader, but, at the same time, I need all the other pdf on my computer to open in Chrome. Is there any way to do that automatically without needing to right...
  6. Prevent specific app writing on specific folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent specific app writing on specific folder: There's a 3rd-party app I have that let me connect to servers to play warcraft 3 with others. It is a great alternative for battle .net. But I am annoyed and worried of what it does. It generates random files inside system's "Windows" and "SysWOW64" folder. It's just weird...
  7. Can't Access Specific Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access Specific Files: So I was trying to get rid of files that I don't need on my computer anymore because my C drive didn't have a lot of space left. I opened up Apps And Features from WIN+X menu and uninstalled a couple files. I had a file called "FileZilla" installed which I wanted to...
  8. Is it possible to assign a specific app to a specific desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to assign a specific app to a specific desktop?: When using multidesktop, I can assign Microsoft Word to desktop #2. But then if I scroll to desktop #3, and if I open another Microsoft Word document, it will place it into desktop #3. I am curious if it is possible to limit certain apps to certain desktops. submitted by...
  9. specific app access to camera and microphone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    specific app access to camera and microphone: Hello, I am trying to allow access to my camera and microphone to my school's testing website. I have already clicked "On" under allow apps access. However, I do not see this particular app listed. How do I know if tis app has access?...
  10. Show specific info on specific files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Show specific info on specific files.: Hi Everybody. Can someone help me? I'd love to have my windows 10 to show Exposion, ISO, F-stop, Shutter, every tom I open a picture in a folder. How can I set this for all folders, so I do not have to do it every time I open a new folder with pictures? All the best....