Windows 10: Prevent starting program from moving to foreground

Discus and support Prevent starting program from moving to foreground in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey there, is there a way to prevent an opening program from moving to the foreground and to keep it staying in the background until I choose to work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RapidCyclist, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Prevent starting program from moving to foreground

Hey there,

is there a way to prevent an opening program from moving to the foreground and to keep it staying in the background until I choose to work with it?

For example, usually after boot up I open Chrome and Steam. Obviously, Steam is gonna take a little longer to open up which is why in the meantime I use Chrome to do some stuff. Now as soon as Steam is ready, it moves to the foreground, therefore whatever I was just doing in Chrome is being interrupted.

Is there a way to prevent that kind of behavior?

submitted by /u/RapidCyclist
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RapidCyclist, Mar 14, 2020

2. CPU spikes on foreground programs when moving mouse

Hi,

I have this problem that is bugging me for several months and has passed even to Windows 10. Starting a few months ago I noticed in Task Manager that when I move my mouse a little bit faster, the program that is currently on foreground starts spiking the
    CPU in the range of 10 to 30%. When it started, I was on Windows 8.1, but it continued to my Windows 10 upgrade, then on the fresh install. To summarize my problem:

- every program that is currently on foreground spikes my cpu when moving the mouse;

- not malware, as it survived on several installations of windows and an upgrade;

- not mouse related, I've tried 2 other mice and they have the same problems;

- the computer is quite powerful so the polling rate doesn't affect it that much; I'm keeping it at 500hz but the cpu spiking decreases by a bit when I go on 250;

- when I did the Windows 10 clean install I've tested the issue after every program installation and it seemed to start after installing my AMD gpu driver and control center. On the other hand, Windows Update might have downloaded drivers in the background
    because when I uninstalled everything gpu related with DDU the problem was still present but the spikes decreases to about 5-10%.

- without the AMD driver the foreground program shares the spike with Client Server Runtime Process and are lower (4-5% each).

- the issue is still present in safe mode.

- this is what
    Task Manager
    looks like when moving my mouse fast on desktop; also this is what
    Process Explorer reveals; and this time for
    Chrome.

Relevant:

Intel Core i5 4690

Sapphire R9 285 OC

ASRock H97 PRO4 on 1.70 BIOS

Ask for more info if needed.

Thank you

Edit: grammar.

JohnKenaro, Mar 14, 2020
  3. After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update programs starting foreground even should start minimized

After I got Fall Creators Update to windows 10 following kind of problem appeared, when ever I start Windows:

- Skype for Business starts on foreground even "start the app in the foreground" is not selected in it's settings

- Onedrive for business opens new explorer window on foreground

- Spotify opens on foreground even it's settings there is selected start as minimized

- Hipchat starts on foreground

Any ideas how to get rid of this?

Moved from:
    Windows
    /
    Windows 10
    /
    Windows settings

JuhaJääskeläinen, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Prevent starting program from moving to foreground

A program won't come to the foreground (Windows 10)

I have a program (QGIS, which uses QT5) that will not come to the foreground. It starts maximized (that's fine) but it stays behind all my other programs. It can be focused, and I can work in QGIS, but any non-minimized programs stay in front of it.

I have tried the AutoHotKey script suggested in an answer in this post:
    Program windows won't come to foreground when selected in Windows 8.1 but it didn't help.

HeyOverThere, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Prevent starting program from moving to foreground

1. Prevent starting program from moving to foreground - Similar Threads - Prevent starting program

2. File Explorer moving from background to foreground

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer moving from background to foreground: I am an elementary school teacher and I will have the students open up file explorer to open a saved word document. Word is in the forground and file explorer is in the background.The students then close the laptop lid while awaiting my instructions. After instructions and...
  3. File Explorer moving from background to foreground

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer moving from background to foreground: I am an elementary school teacher and I will have the students open up file explorer to open a saved word document. Word is in the forground and file explorer is in the background.The students then close the laptop lid while awaiting my instructions. After instructions and...
  4. Moving open applications from foreground to background or tray?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Moving open applications from foreground to background or tray?: There are some applications I like to leave open but that I do not need in my taskbar. They sometimes need occasional interaction, messenger most of all. picturedIs there a way or a mod to force these applications in general to run in background, perhaps minimized to the...
  5. CPU spikes on foreground programs when moving mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU spikes on foreground programs when moving mouse: Hello! when i move my mouse,(when idle my cpu is at 1%) the cpu goes up to 50%. When i have google opened and move my mouse google uses a lot of cpu and if i close it and open another app and move my mouse that app uses high cpu. I have tried: -scanning for malware -i tried...
  6. Printer Dialog goes foreground, and i can't move to foreground

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printer Dialog goes foreground, and i can't move to foreground: I'm using an app online for dessign. When I try to print my work, the printer's dialog goes foreground, and I can't move it to foreground using ALT+TAB or CTRL+TAB. I have to change the screen resolution, and when the screen is changing, the dialog moves to the foreground....
  7. How to STOP Win10 from opening program in the foreground?

How to STOP Win10 from opening program in the foreground?: I have found posts on how to stop this, but nothing tells me how to make this happen. My last Win10 laptop, when I: right clicked on an image in a folder > open with > graphic software, the image would open in the graphic software, but the Folder Would Stay in the...
  8. A program is preventing from shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A program is preventing from shutdown: One program is preventing from shutdown it was not visible clearly at it disappears in seconds, in safe mode it was fine.this problem occurs after removing some default windows software from power shell i have restored all of them through power shell command still the problem...
  9. Preventing Win10 From Moving Programs to Different Screen After Sleep?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Preventing Win10 From Moving Programs to Different Screen After Sleep?: It's a productivity killer when Windows 10 re-positions some of my programs after every time it wakes up from sleep or when my monitors shut off after 20mins. I tried everything I could from re-installing graphics driver and I even re-installed my Windows 10 from scratch....
  10. Preventing Programs/Process from starting automatically in Windows 10

Preventing Programs/Process from starting automatically in Windows 10: There are several programs/processes that start automatically in my Windows 10 (example: Skype, Microsoft Store). How do I prevent programs/processes from starting automatically? They are not listed in the startup tab in Task Manager. Thanks for your help!...