Windows 10: Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu

Discus and support Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Afternoon. I am struggling to find a way to disable the "type to search" feature on the windows 10 start menu. I have enabled various GPOs to prevent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Bepositive_19, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu

Afternoon.

I am struggling to find a way to disable the "type to search" feature on the windows 10 start menu.

I have enabled various GPOs to prevent Cortana however the actual feature I want to stop is the ability for users to select start -> and type to search for local resources such as registry, my computer, folders etc.

I have created a software restriction GPO to prevent the "SearchUI.exe" process from launching however this prevents users from using the search field in Windows Explorer.

Hopefully someone here can help!!!

many thanks.

submitted by /u/Bepositive_19
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Bepositive_19, Jan 13, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 13, 2020
  3. scevism Win User
    scevism, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu

Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu

1. Prevent "Type to Search" on Windows 10 Start Menu - Similar Threads - Prevent Type Search

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  4. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  5. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?: as the title says is there a way to disable "Type to search" in start menu? [ATTACH] else if that can't be done, is there a way to disable task bar to a specific user?...
  7. Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.

in Cortana
    Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.: Hello, I've been using my new Windows 10 PC for less than a day and am unable to type into the Windows 10 search box/bar. Also, setting the search bar to display the search icon instead, and then clicking on the icon does not make a search bar appear nothing happens. Showing...
  8. How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...

in Cortana
    How do I prevent Cortana/Search from searching the web (when typing in the Start Menu)...: In a previously locked thread ( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/how-do-i-prevent-cortanasearch-from-searching-the/557539cc-5164-4df4-b839-494e623a6067 ), Brian023 asked: " I see from a web search (using my prefered browser and not...
  9. Start menu typing search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu typing search doesn't work: I thought I could just type "rege" and get Regedit result right away. No. I need to type the whole name. What's going on? The Windows Search service is running. I disabled Cortana, but that shouldn't matter, should it? 112057
  10. Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent windows from search in files when searching in the Start Menu: Hello. when i search from the start menu, all i want to find is applications (desktop apps, metro apps, shortcus to apps in the all-applications menu) and settings, not files and folders. (i already disabled the web search there). i still want to be able to search files...