Windows 10: Prevent Usb / Windows from automaticaly assigning USB letters

Discus and support Prevent Usb / Windows from automaticaly assigning USB letters in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, Is there a way to prevent a usb stick / usb volume from getting an automatical letter on an Windows machine? submitted by /u/xlogiic2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/xlogiic2, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Prevent Usb / Windows from automaticaly assigning USB letters

Hello,

Is there a way to prevent a usb stick / usb volume from getting an automatical letter on an Windows machine?

submitted by /u/xlogiic2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/xlogiic2, Jan 7, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 7, 2020
  3. help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

maybe your USB drive is trying to assign a drive letter that is already taken.

goto

start > control panel > administrative tools > computer manager > disk manager

find your USB drive and assign is a drive letter

cjoyce1980, Jan 7, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Prevent Usb / Windows from automaticaly assigning USB letters

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Prevent Usb / Windows from automaticaly assigning USB letters

1. Prevent Usb / Windows from automaticaly assigning USB letters - Similar Threads - Prevent Usb automaticaly

2. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  3. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  4. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. stop win assigning usb drive letter

stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  6. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?: I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter. The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other...
  7. Stop EFI partition from USB drive having a letter assigned?

Stop EFI partition from USB drive having a letter assigned?: Hello, when i plugin my USB drive which has some EFI partition on it, Windows 10 automatically assign it a letter which is annoying as you guess (can't access, being asked to format, etc..); how do i stop this from happening? Neither in diskpart, neither with 3rd party apps i...
  8. Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives: Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used). I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk Management and then click 'Change...
  9. USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent: I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have to use Administrative Tools to re-assign a drive letter. Is there anything else I should be doing so that Windows keeps that...
  10. USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static

USB flash drive --assign drive letter back to dynamic from static: Hi, I have a USB flash drive that the Media Creation Tool messed up when it was formatting it to create installation media. Ive worked out how to fix the flash drive. I just have to use disk management to create a new simple volume on it, I then have no option but to assign...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can you permantly assign cd rom drive a letter in windows 10