Windows 10: Prevent Win 10 Updates Resetting "Password Protected Sharing" to ON

Discus and support Prevent Win 10 Updates Resetting "Password Protected Sharing" to ON in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All of the 6 PCs on my LAN workgroup have "Password Protected Sharing" set to OFF. Over the years, some windows updates reset that setting to ON. Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joatmon, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Joatmon Win User

Prevent Win 10 Updates Resetting "Password Protected Sharing" to ON

All of the 6 PCs on my LAN workgroup have "Password Protected Sharing" set to OFF. Over the years, some windows updates reset that setting to ON. Can I block updates from from doing that?

I could change permission settings in the registry, but that may cause updates to fail.
    I could also create a weekly task that does the job.

The family has finally pushed me over the edge! I don't want to hear: "Dad, I can't write my file to the shared documents folder" ANYMORE!

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    Jim

Windows 10 Pro V1909

:)

Joatmon, Sep 6, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you’ve already turned off password protected sharing, this issue could be due to the incorrect cached credentials stored on the PC. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Open Control Panel and categorize to view by
      small icons.
    • Click on User Accounts and choose your
      User Name.

• On the left pane, click on Manage your credentials.
      Under Windows Credentials, remove the shared computer credentials and save the changes.
    • Exit Control Panel and restart the machine to see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Sep 6, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing is not there

Hi Ankit,

Is this the exact process/steps you are using?

Open Control Panel

Go to Network and Sharing Center

Select Change advanced sharing settings in the left pane

Expand the network you want to disable password protected sharing on by clicking the down arrow on the right of the profile

Select 'Turn off password protected sharing' and then click Save changes.

DaveM121, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Prevent Win 10 Updates Resetting "Password Protected Sharing" to ON - Similar Threads - Prevent Updates Resetting

2. Updates Revert "Password Protected Sharing" to ON

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Updates Revert "Password Protected Sharing" to ON: I have 3 computers that access a shared drive called "Shared". They're on a LAN. Every Windows update reverts this change. I need a way to keep it persistant by not having to turn Password Protected Sharing back OFF after every update. Any ideas? Maybe using regedit? I...
  3. Win 10 password reset?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 password reset?: Can you reset the password of a windows 10 online account same way as local admin account (utilman.exe, cmd.exe)? submitted by /u/eng-moe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jansnr/win_10_password_reset/
  4. Password protected sharing over Network sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected sharing over Network sharing: How can we turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing,thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-sharing-over-network-sharing/635517ef-5d29-4e18-80f5-43c8896e6ac9"
  5. Password protect applications in Win 10?

Password protect applications in Win 10?: Is there a way to do this just for certain standard account users? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protect-applications-in-win-10/d867b069-504f-4224-836f-01130255ef61"
  6. Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10

Network Sharing prompts for password (Password protected sharing turned off) - Windows 10: I've been using Network Share (HomeGroup before) for a while. Weeks ago I changed my Microsoft account password, and then here I got a problem. Let's say my main PC is PC A, and my second PC is PC B. When I try to access files on B from A, everything works fine. But when I...
  7. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  8. password protected sharing

password protected sharing: I can't turn it off. I know how it's supposed to work. I turn it off, click "save changes" but it doesn't turn off. I can't use the local users and groups snap in with my version of windows 10. I have tried the registry edit method mentioned elsewhere. That did not work....
  9. Password Protected Sharing gets turned off after Win Updates?

Password Protected Sharing gets turned off after Win Updates?: I've been dealing with a pesky little problem for some time and think I have discovered the source of the problem. I have a fairly extensive home network which includes my Win 10 Pro desktop, a Win 7 desktop and a Win 10 Home laptop. On a fairly regular basis, I am unable to...
  10. Network share ignores password protected sharing

Network share ignores password protected sharing: I am trying to make a shared folder on my network that is only accessible to me and cannot be viewed by other users.When I create the share, no matter how I set permissions, the folder becomes accessible to everyone on the network. This is the case whether I use a homegroup...