Windows 10: Prevent Windows 10 from launching mail app when I click an email link

Discus and support Prevent Windows 10 from launching mail app when I click an email link in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am working with a lot of data that includes hyperlinked email addresses. I want to prevent Windows 10 from launching any mail app when I click these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KDPCOMP, Nov 13, 2019.

1. KDPCOMP Win User

Prevent Windows 10 from launching mail app when I click an email link

I am working with a lot of data that includes hyperlinked email addresses. I want to prevent Windows 10 from launching any mail app when I click these links on accident. Is there a way to turn off this feature?

:)

KDPCOMP, Nov 13, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Prevent Windows 10 from launching mail app when I click an email link :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Nov 13, 2019
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Windows 10 mail app not opening links...

Thanks for following up, Philip. We can try a couple of basic troubleshooting step and see which one helps. Please see methods below for reference:

Method 1: remove and re-add your email account

• Launch the Mail app.
    • Click the Settings (gear) icon.
    • Click Email & app accounts on the left side
    • Click on the account you want to delete under Email, calendar and contacts
      on the right side
    • Click manage, and click Delete account.
    • Close and re-launch the Mail app, and add you account once again.
    Method 2: Check if Windows Firewall is causing this issue, and add exception to the Mail app

• Search for Windows firewall via Cortana.
    • Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.
    • Click Change settings.
    • Search for the Windows Mail app and make sure that it is included on the allowed apps and features by ticking on the checkbox right next to it.
    • Restart your PC.
    Keep us updated regarding this issue.

Mark Isi, Nov 13, 2019
  4. Prevent Windows 10 from launching mail app when I click an email link

email attachments

Hello Allan,

To attach a document file on an email, you can follow the step given below:

For Windows 10 Mobile:

• Launch to File Explorer app.
    • Press and hold the file that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select Outlook Mail on the suggested applications.

For Windows Phone 8.1:

• Download and install
      Files
      app.
    • Launch Files app.
    • Tap and hold the document that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select the Mail app on the suggested applications.

Feel free to post back if you have other queries.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

Prevent Windows 10 from launching mail app when I click an email link

1. Prevent Windows 10 from launching mail app when I click an email link - Similar Threads - Prevent launching mail

2. Email address and name link in Window 10 Mail app

in Browsers and Email
    Email address and name link in Window 10 Mail app: The Window 10 Mail app is associating a name with my Gmail address, and outgoing emails include this name with the senders email address, which can be confusing to the email receiver. I can't find any reference to this name in the Gmail or Mail app settings. Apparently, the...
  3. Email address and name link in Window 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Support
    Email address and name link in Window 10 Mail app: The Window 10 Mail app is associating a name with my Gmail address, and outgoing emails include this name with the senders email address, which can be confusing to the email receiver. I can't find any reference to this name in the Gmail or Mail app settings. Apparently, the...
  4. Windows 10 Mail app- Links in messages don't open when clicked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail app- Links in messages don't open when clicked: I keep on trying to open links in Mail for Windows 10, but it ALWAYS says, ' Unable to open https://___________________' I don't know what is wrong or if it is a bug, but it is really annoying that I have to copy it and then paste the link into Edge where I should just be...
  5. Found Explanation RE: How do I change the automatic email app when I click a "mail-to" link...

Found Explanation RE: How do I change the automatic email app when I click a "mail-to" link...: I think I found the solution: https://www.w3docs.com/snippets/html/how-to-create-mailto-links.html. I went into Settings and changed the default email app from Firefox to Outlook. Sorry for the bother! ----------------------------------------------- I just clicked on a...
  6. How do I change the automatic email app when I click a "mail-to" link on the internet?

How do I change the automatic email app when I click a "mail-to" link on the internet?: I just clicked on a "mail-to" link on a website and received 2 options Google, Yahoo, which I didn't want. So I dug up outlook.exe in my program files as the default email app to use with "mail-to" links on the internet. This resulted in an endless loop: instead of just...
  7. Prevent Windows mail app from closing

Prevent Windows mail app from closing: Hey everyone so I have a very small issue. I want to make the windows mail app that comes with Windows 10 to not be able to close. I also wante it to start up when the computer boots. Basically I don't want the app to close when I press the x button. I have already locked...
  8. "This site can't be reached" when I click on a link in an email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "This site can't be reached" when I click on a link in an email: Whenever I click on a link in my email I get one of these errors seen below. I posted in a different forum about this a month ago and was told to do something in the browser security area to fix this issue. It did fix the issue....for a while and now its back. Thanks in...
  9. how to prevent the windows 10 Mail app from automatically deleting the email after the...

how to prevent the windows 10 Mail app from automatically deleting the email after the...: I am using the Mail app come with Windows 10 to access my emails from hotmail.com and outlook.com. However, every time after I accept a meeting invitation the invitation email will be automatically deleted from the inbox. This behavior is extreme annoying and how can I...
  10. Windows 10 mail linked emails question

Windows 10 mail linked emails question: Windows 10 pro Version 1809 OS Build 17763.107 So this only started a few months back, all my emails disappeared and in the mail program, all it showed was Email 1 (4 accounts) Email 2 (2 accounts) and so on... So i was able to figure out how to split them back up...