Windows 10: Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App

Discus and support Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm using Nitro pro as my default pdf reader, editor. Win 10 keeps changing it every time to MS Edge. How can I stop this behaviour?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by aredev, Mar 2, 2021.

1. aredev Win User

Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App

I'm using Nitro pro as my default pdf reader, editor. Win 10 keeps changing it every time to MS Edge. How can I stop this behaviour?

:)

aredev, Mar 2, 2021
  2. w1ksz Win User

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

I complained about this a while ago and followed the suggestion of another ListMember. Well, like the Borg, Windows
    has adapted.

I prefer Adobe for my pdf reader, but as many times as I change the default to Adobe, Windows keeps changing it
    back to Edge (lousy pdf reader).

How can I put a stake into this thing and keep the deafault app I want.

Thanks,

Richard S.

w1ksz, Mar 2, 2021
  3. MamaWolf Win User
    Can't Change Default App For PDF

I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre Office Draw but it is not on the list of options. They want me to choose an app from the Windows store. It does not give me an option to choose from my PC.

MamaWolf, Mar 2, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, I don't have Acrobat installed. With Sumatra as my default pdf reader, that hyperlink to a pdf docoument opens in.. yes.. Sumatra. Changing to Edge:

Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App [​IMG]

the hyperlink opens in... yes.. Edge.

If, as seems the case, Bluebeam is correctly associated with pdf files, I can't say why the hyperlink fails. Your guess about the protocol may be right- I don't know. If you could make any change to that to test that theory, as you suggest, that would help.

If you wish to view the relevant registry key, a convenient way to get there is via free Filetypesman - a rt click option.

Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App [​IMG]

dalchina, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Prevent Windows from Changing Default PDF App - Similar Threads - Prevent Changing Default

2. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  3. How to change the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the default app for .pdf files: I'll use F as shorthand for one of my .pdf apps. I'll use P as shorthand for the other .pdf app. I prefer not to use the names of apps that compete with one another. P is currently the default app for .pdf files. I want to change the default to F.Then I scroll down the list...
  4. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  5. Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's

Windows 11, Can't change default app for .PDF's: Hi,Some advise please.I have Acrobat DC and Acrobat pro installed on my system and I want to change the default reader for .pdf's to Acrobat pro from Acrobat DC.I go to file associations, find the PDF association, then it asks which file to open PDF's. It does not show...
  6. My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings

in Windows 10 Support
    My default apps Preventing MS from changing settings: I use Irfanview 64 bit as my default image viewer app. It has been a while since I tried accessing my images. Today I noticed that the tools menu was missing from this app. I finally figured out that the toolbar skin had been changed from Default to some other setting. I went...
  7. How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?: I'm using Windows 10 on three computers. After updating Windows, my default handler of PDF-files is changed to Edge. I want to use Acrobat Reader....
  8. Can't Change Default App For PDF

Can't Change Default App For PDF: I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre Office Draw but it is not on the list of options. They want me to choose an app from the Windows store. It does not give me an...
  9. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I complained about this a while ago and followed the suggestion of another ListMember. Well, like the Borg, Windows has adapted. I prefer Adobe for my pdf reader, but as many times as I change the default to Adobe, Windows keeps changing it back to Edge (lousy pdf...
  10. PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed

PDF Default App Keeps Getting Changed: I prefer Adobe Reader for pdf files, but no matter how many times I set the default app to Adobe, it keeps getting changed back to MS Edge. How do I put a stake in this vampire !! ?? Thanks, Richard S. 98032