Windows 10: Prevent Windows from changing power plan/sleep options/fast start-up?

Discus and support Prevent Windows from changing power plan/sleep options/fast start-up? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hallo! Windows 10 (Build 18363) keeps resetting several settings after each logout/reboot. In the new Settings interface: Sleep: set to "Never",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nerfu, Jan 15, 2020.

1. /u/nerfu Win User

Prevent Windows from changing power plan/sleep options/fast start-up?

Hallo!

Windows 10 (Build 18363) keeps resetting several settings after each logout/reboot.

In the new Settings interface:

• Sleep: set to "Never", keeps resetting to 30 minutes
    • Power mode: set to "Best performance", keeps resetting to "Better performance"

In the Power Options control panel:

• Preferred plans: set to "Ultimate performance", keeps resetting to "Balanced (recommended)"
    • via "Choose what the power buttons do" > Turn on fast start-up: unchecked, keeps getting enabled

Windows 10 Enterprise, days-old install from official image, drivers etc. all through Windows Update, no tuning tools or additional crapware from the hardware manufacturers. I tried everything I could find through Google, including disabling hibernation through the shell, various GP settings, sfc /scannow and that dism thing.

Is there any way to keep Windows from changing those settings? Most importantly sleep and fast start-up, since they seem to cause issues with my not-so-well-aged soundcard (SoundBlaster X-FI HD), ie. sound being unavailable after resuming from either sleep or this semi-hibernation start-up thing.

Will post hardware specs if requested.

Thank you very much!

submitted by /u/nerfu
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nerfu, Jan 15, 2020
  2. John Fer Win User

Power plan?

Upon checking, it seems that there's nothing wrong with your system. It is usual that you have to double-click your mouse before your monitor wakes up.

For the meantime, we suggest changing the power plan by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + S.
    • Type in Power Settings.
    • On the pop-up window, choose Additional power settings.
    • Select High performance.

After changing the power plan, we suggest that you monitor the changes made and check if that will work for you.

Get back to us if you need further help.

John Fer, Jan 15, 2020
  3. windows 10 power and sleep settings ignored

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are facing issues with the Windows 10 Sleep, we will look into this for you. However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the make and model of your system?
    • Was there a major change or an update on your system, prior to which you weren't facing this issue?

Meanwhile, this issue could be related to the Hybrid sleep and the Fast Startup. Hence, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to turn off Hybrid Sleep:

1. Click on Start icon.
    2. Type Control Panel and press Enter.
    3. Click on Power Options, then click on Change plan settings.
    4. Click on Change advanced power settings and expand
      Sleep
      option.
    5. Now expand Allow hybrid sleep and then change settings to
      Off.
    6. Click on Apply and then OK.

Steps to turn off Fast Startup:

1. Click on the Start icon.
    3. Click on Power Options.
    4. Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    5. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    6. Under Shutdown settings, uncheck the Turn on fast startup box.
    7. Click on Save changes. This will turn off fast startup.

Restart the system and check if the issue still persists.

We would also like you to open command prompt (Admin) after the PC wakes up. (Type in Windows search
    CMD and then right click on it, select Run as Administrator)

Then type the command as mentioned in the /lastwake & /energy
    section from this Powercfg command-line
    options
    article.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Prevent Windows from changing power plan/sleep options/fast start-up?

Hibernating laptop changes to sleep behaviour after Windows 10 May 2019 update

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are facing issues with the Windows 10 Hibernate, we will look into this for you. However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the make and model of your system?
    2. Do you receive any error code or error message when the system starts automatically without pressing the power button?

Meanwhile, this issue could be related to the Hybrid sleep and the Fast Startup. Hence, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it works for you.

Steps to turn off Hybrid Sleep:

1. Click on Start icon.
    3. Click on Power Options, then click on Change plan settings.
    4. Click on Change advanced power settings and expand
      Sleep
      option.
    5. Now expand Allow hybrid sleep and then change settings to
      Off.
    6. Click on Apply and then OK.

Steps to turn off Fast Startup:

1. Click on the Start icon.
    3. Click on Power Options.
    4. Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    5. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    6. Under Shutdown settings, uncheck the Turn on fast startup box.
    7. Click on Save changes. This will turn off fast startup.

Restart the system and check if the issue still persists.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Prevent Windows from changing power plan/sleep options/fast start-up?

1. Prevent Windows from changing power plan/sleep options/fast start-up? - Similar Threads - Prevent changing power

2. Windows 10 Power and Sleep settings missing Sleep option for all power plans

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Power and Sleep settings missing Sleep option for all power plans: This is a desktop PC running Windows 10 with the latest updates. In settings/ system/ power and sleep I do not get the option for Sleep in any of the Power Plans. I recently had my mother board replaced, after which I am facing this issue. Someone told me to check the...
  3. Windows 10 Power and Sleep settings missing Sleep option for all power plans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Power and Sleep settings missing Sleep option for all power plans: This is a desktop PC running Windows 10 with the latest updates. In settings/ system/ power and sleep I do not get the option for Sleep in any of the Power Plans. I recently had my mother board replaced, after which I am facing this issue. Someone told me to check the...
  4. Windows 10 Power and Sleep settings missing Sleep option for all power plans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Power options plan keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power options plan keeps changing: About a week ago with the latest windows 10 update my power plan kept changing to power saver. Tried removing it, used msconfig to maybe remove startup apps that cause it. Even after upgrading to Windows 11 home the problem persists.I am using an ASUS TUF F15....
  6. Power options plan keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power options plan keeps changing: About a week ago with the latest windows 10 update my power plan kept changing to power saver. Tried removing it, used msconfig to maybe remove startup apps that cause it. Even after upgrading to Windows 11 home the problem persists.I am using an ASUS TUF F15....
  7. KB4601380 Preventing Windows Going into Sleep Mode with Power Plan

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4601380 Preventing Windows Going into Sleep Mode with Power Plan: Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build 18363.1411 Hi All For the past couple of weeks, my PC has stopped going into Sleep Mode by itself. It works if I manually put it to sleep, but not if I rely on my Power Plan and am away from the PC for a while. I've changed nothing in...
  8. is there an equivalent of caffeine for windows to prevent sleep? the power plan settings...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is there an equivalent of caffeine for windows to prevent sleep? the power plan settings...: submitted by /u/Remote-Local [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fla55k/is_there_an_equivalent_of_caffeine_for_windows_to/
  9. Power Options Plan

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Options Plan: Hi Guys, usually we all have balanced power plan. But what if I choose high Performance and than go in advance setting then I set all values as balanced. What will happen and how will that power plan will effect? I am asking in balanced I feel my pc sluggish. but in high...
  10. Missing, Delete plan option in power & sleep settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing, Delete plan option in power & sleep settings: Hi there. for some reason i cannot remove any custom battery plans i made. the option to is gone. So i made a plan called"Delete" (as a 3rd test) [img] then tried to delete it. but i cant. [img] it is like this for the other two plans i created. "Downloaded and...