Windows 10: Prevent Windows from unloading background windows from RAM

Discus and support Prevent Windows from unloading background windows from RAM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have the following issue, not sure how otherwise I should name the title. The follow behavior happens on mostly any device I own, but mostly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gorgor, Nov 18, 2018.

1. gorgor Win User

Prevent Windows from unloading background windows from RAM

Hello,

I have the following issue, not sure how otherwise I should name the title. The follow behavior happens on mostly any device I own, but mostly I am using my laptop as a reference. It has 16GB of RAM.

Following scenario: If I have lots of "small" windows open, for example 20-30 notepad windows + 20-50 JPEG images via JpegView + Chrome + other stuff, this sums up in maybe 7GB of 16GB used. So there is plenty of free RAM still left, it is not even CLOSE to RAM becoming a problem.

If I let this all "idle" for hours maybe in the background, it happens at some point, not sure if this is time depending or maybe Windows somehow recognizes, that I haven't "touched" (brought it in the foreground) for some hours, it seems, that Windows unloads the content of the window from memory.

I notice this, that when I hover over the taskbar for example for the Notepad "stack", it hasnt a preview image anymore but just a gray image with the Notepad icon in the middle. When I click on one of them, the Window is empty for a tiny little time window, and then loaded again with the content. So this looks like Windows unloads the content from memory to me.

Is there a documented behavior for this, that Windows indeed does this? And if so, is there a way to deactivate this? Because I find it really annoying. I totally bought this laptop with 16GB because for the reason to NOT unload things I have opened from memory. And 7 out of 16 used in this example, there should be no reason at all to do this.

:)

gorgor, Nov 18, 2018

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 18, 2018
  3. Windows 7 Club

How do I disable the Experience/Assessment Index tool?

If you want to disable winSAT.exe then do the following:

Step 1. Go to Task Scheduler. You simply type it in the search box.
    Step 2. Browse to Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance by clicking on the arrow for Task Scheduler Library folder with the clock on it.
    Step 3. Disable the task named WinSAT. Which is found to the right in a small boxed window. Right click on the word WinSAT and select disable.

As for the changing desktop if you want to prevent it from shuffling do the following:
    -right click on desktop
    -click on Personalization
    -click on Desktop Background
    -Uncheck Shuffle

EastCoasthandle, Nov 18, 2018
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Prevent Windows from unloading background windows from RAM - Similar Threads - Prevent unloading background

2. how to prevent the settings process in windows 11 from running in the background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent the settings process in windows 11 from running in the background: I proceeded to disable all the options and features on the settings page because they are not needed for me and despite this the setup process, better known as "SystemSettings.exe", is re-run from time to time. Is there a way to prevent this process from running in the...
  3. how to prevent the settings process in windows 11 from running in the background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to prevent the settings process in windows 11 from running in the background: I proceeded to disable all the options and features on the settings page because they are not needed for me and despite this the setup process, better known as "SystemSettings.exe", is re-run from time to time. Is there a way to prevent this process from running in the...
  4. How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I prevent programs from reopening in the background?: I have some programs like Armory Crate, Nvidia, Office, Phone, and other programs that restart themselves in the background after I END TASK in the Task Manager. My CPU is being worked up to 40% in use because of programs restarting themselves. I was able to find in regedit...
  5. how to prevent runtime broker from running in the background in windows 10 if there is no...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to prevent runtime broker from running in the background in windows 10 if there is no...: Hello, I have all the configuration options disabled, but still the runtyme broker process manifests 3 processes in the task manager. In previous versions of Windows, this process only manifested itself if the camera was turned on or if some application required some...
  6. how to prevent runtyime broker from running in the background in windows 10 if there is no...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to prevent runtyime broker from running in the background in windows 10 if there is no...: Hello, I have all the configuration options disabled, but still the runtyme broker process manifests 3 processes in the task manager. In previous versions of Windows, this process only manifested itself if the camera was turned on or if some application required some...
  7. Important RAM being unloaded automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Important RAM being unloaded automatically: I'm using a Workstation for Music creation - and load Virtual Instruments into RAM. In fact, only the first part of the audio samples are loaded into RAM, but the instruments are typically large, with many different articulation sounds instruments can make - however many...
  8. Unload DLL From RAM Memory - tweak [Question]

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unload DLL From RAM Memory - tweak [Question]: Unload DLL From RAM Memory - tweak Regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE MICROSOFT WINDOWS CURRENTVERSION EXPLORER I have looked at several tutorials that explain this tweak, but some advise creating a new string value with the name AlwaysUnloadDll and then assigning it a...
  9. Prevent windows from upgrading

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent windows from upgrading: How can I prevent Windows from automatically upgrading. I have an older HP laptop which is currently running Windows 10 1709. And this machine works flawlessly. However, any update past 1709 i.e. 1803, 1809, 1903 or 1909 causes the machine not to work. The most common...
  10. Free Up RAM From Background Tasks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Free Up RAM From Background Tasks: I'm using Windows 10 32 bit on my PC with just 2 GB RAM and many background tasks like Windows Defender Services, Cortana and dozens of other tasks are always running in the background. My question is that "Will ending these Background Tasks enhance the performance of my PC...