Windows 10: Prevent windows from upgrading

Discus and support Prevent windows from upgrading in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How can I prevent Windows from automatically upgrading. I have an older HP laptop which is currently running Windows 10 1709. And this machine works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Greg Wright, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Prevent windows from upgrading

How can I prevent Windows from automatically upgrading.

I have an older HP laptop which is currently running Windows 10 1709. And this machine works flawlessly. However, any update past 1709 i.e. 1803, 1809, 1903 or 1909 causes the machine not to work.

The most common problem after upgrading is the inability of the computer to come out of a sleep state properly. Instead of waking, the computer just reboots.

In addition, 1903 and 1909 both cause hard halts after rebooting. These hard halts can be overcome by power off and power on resets most of the time.

i have searched the Internet high and low for fixes for these problems, but the only solution that seems to have had a small modicum of success is an upgrade to the BIOS. HP no longer supports the computer so no BIOS updates are available.

So, I’ve tried to hide the updates and I have set my network cards to metered connections. This has mostly worked in the past, although Microsoft does not always honour these settings. Lately however, nothing seems to prevent the Microsoft Monolithic Monster from forcing my machine to try and upgrade. Trust me, I would gladly upgrade it if it did not cause this computer to fail the wake up to do the nightly backup.

So what is the best way to completely stop Windows Automatic Update.

Thank you.

Greg

:)

Greg Wright, Jun 15, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Prevent windows from upgrading

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Prevent windows from upgrading

1. Prevent windows from upgrading - Similar Threads - Prevent upgrading

2. Prevent Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1 upgrade to 21H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1 upgrade to 21H2: I have some older software that doesn't like Windows 21H2 so until the vendors have addressed this, I need to stay with version 21H1. Problem, so I had to perform a clean install of 21H1, but Windows Update keeps pushing 21H2 to my system as soon as it has a network...
  3. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade: I have windows 10 Pro 64bit installed on a workstation. Due to a software incompatibility I want to prevent the windows 11 auto upgrade from happening. But I need the system to update all the rest within windows 10 like security patches etc. How do I do this ?...
  4. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade: I have windows 10 Pro 64bit installed on a workstation. Due to a software incompatibility I want to prevent the windows 11 auto upgrade from happening. But I need the system to update all the rest within windows 10 like security patches etc. How do I do this ?...
  5. Prevent windows 11 auto upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2: Dear all,I have some computers running on Windows 10 32bit for support some DOS program. Recently, when you computer upgrade to version 22H2 that will display blue screen error. After investigation, it seems related to some conflict with M.2 SSD. Before we find the solution...
  7. Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2

Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2: Dear all,I have some computers running on Windows 10 32bit for support some DOS program. Recently, when you computer upgrade to version 22H2 that will display blue screen error. After investigation, it seems related to some conflict with M.2 SSD. Before we find the solution...
  8. Prevent Windows 10 Upgrade to version 22H2

9. BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?: Following a Win10 to Win11 upgrade on a Lenovo T490 Laptop, I have been experiencing BSOD. A review of the logs indicate it is a driver called wnpdriver.sys in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory. I delete the driver and the machine will stay up but, without known...
  10. BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?

BSOD traced to wnpdriver.sys following Win11 Upgrade. What is it and how do I prevent?: Following a Win10 to Win11 upgrade on a Lenovo T490 Laptop, I have been experiencing BSOD. A review of the logs indicate it is a driver called wnpdriver.sys in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory. I delete the driver and the machine will stay up but, without known...