Windows 10: Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

Discus and support Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've been editing my Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file for years to facilitate my work. As of a couple of days ago Windows has started... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Geoff Capper, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

I've been editing my Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file for years to facilitate my work.

As of a couple of days ago Windows has started overwriting this file with a clean version every time I boot up.

I have tried making the file read-only and denying write permissions to "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES", "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES" and to "SYSTEM", which was a recommended solution in older advice on this issue.

The Deny Write setting on "SYSTEM" and "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES" will not take effect.

I have not tried preventing inheritance or removing any of these groups as I don't want to break DNS for obvious reasons.

Is there any way to prevent Windows from overwriting this file? Or do we now need to set up our own DNS server in order to use Windows 10 for serious stuff like development work?

Thanks,
    Geoff

:)

Geoff Capper, Jul 23, 2020

2. Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

I've been editing my Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file for years to facilitate my work.

As of a couple of days ago Windows has started overwriting this file with a clean version every time I boot up.

I have tried making the file read-only and denying write permissions to "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES", "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES" and to "SYSTEM", which was a recommended solution in older advice on this issue.

The Deny Write setting on "SYSTEM" and "ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES" will not take effect.

I have not tried preventing inheritance or removing any of these groups as I don't want to break DNS for obvious reasons.

Is there any way to prevent Windows from overwriting this file? Or do we now need to set up our own DNS server in order to use Windows 10 for serious stuff like development work?

Thanks,

Geoff

Geoff Capper, Jul 30, 2020
  3. WilliamDz Win User
    Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William. I'm a Windows technical expert. I'll be happy to help you out today.

This is likely being done by a 3rd party process. The only Windows processes that I know that care about the hosts file is Windows Security, but its normal operation is to only flag it as potentially suspicious, not delete it. However, if you think that may
    be an issue, you can create a exception for the hosts file under Windows Security > Manage exceptions.

If you are running a 3rd party antivirus then you can do it from there. Otherwise you need to take a look at or second guess some of the programs you have installed. VPN programs come to mind, for example or network utility applications.

However, when in doubt, Process Monitor. Download from Microsoft. When you initially run, create a filter using Path is C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Monitor. You should be able to see what process is touching it and then follow the crumbs. This may
    take awhile, so when you run this go to Filter drop menu and select option to "Drop Filtered Events" to keep resource usage at a minimum.

WilliamDz, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

1. Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File - Similar Threads - Prevent Overwriting Hosts

2. Windows task host preventing shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows task host preventing shutdown: Hi, I have the Windows Task Host preventing shut down just now before got out of the house to work. I tried the troubleshooting method, didn’t work, edit the registry, didn’t work. Checked update, didn’t see anything needed to be update, didn’t checked the optional...
  3. Windows task host preventing shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows task host preventing shutdown: Hi, I have the Windows Task Host preventing shut down just now before got out of the house to work. I tried the troubleshooting method, didn’t work, edit the registry, didn’t work. Checked update, didn’t see anything needed to be update, didn’t checked the optional...
  4. Windows task host preventing shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Task Host Window preventing shutdown

Task Host Window preventing shutdown: Hi,How do I fix this? This screen keeps popping up at shutdown. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-host-window-preventing-shutdown/b641512c-005a-440f-9ee0-41d88bd1994b
  6. Task Host Window prevents shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task Host Window prevents shutdown: Following from this discussion: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/task-host-window-prevents-shutdown-the-appupdate/0e372e94-64b9-4aa4-8140-964a4a8f63b9 Context: I sometimes have similar pop-ups to the discussion above that says "Task Host...
  7. Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader: Hi! Just as the title suggests, I'd like to prevent Windows from overwriting the bootloader. Currently I have several operating systems (none of them being Windows) in my computer and all of them are managed by a single bootloader which installed on the SSD, but I'd like to...
  8. Store Experience Host prevents .exe file running

Store Experience Host prevents .exe file running: Hi , i'm using w10 pro v.1809 I recently noticed that i can't open downloaded .exe files directly. "Store Experience Host" opens in a white page and i can't run that .exe file but when i use proxy , in Store Experience Host i see waiting logo and after few moment , my .exe...
  9. Store Exprience Host prevents .exe file running

Store Exprience Host prevents .exe file running: i'm using w10 version 1809 i recently noticed that i can't open .exe files directly. "Store Exprience Host" opens in a white page and i can't run that .exe file but when i use proxy , in Store Exprience Host i see waiting logo and after few moment , my .exe runs for example...
  10. Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates: I have a lot of mp3 music which is ripped from my extensive CD collection (I went to live abroad and didn't have space for all my CDs). I like to have all my lists arranged and sorted, with accurate art. Several of my albums are but a compilation of different mp3 songs put...