Windows 10: Prevent windows to automatically change audio device

Discus and support Prevent windows to automatically change audio device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there ! I am using Windows 10, and there is a feature that seems comfortable for everybody that i find really annoying for my uses : when plugging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jefbyis, Jan 26, 2021.

1. jefbyis Win User

Prevent windows to automatically change audio device

Hi there !

I am using Windows 10, and there is a feature that seems comfortable for everybody that i find really annoying for my uses : when plugging a new audio device, Windows automatically adopts it as the default audio output. To me it's a problem because i am an audio guy, so i use different hardware devices and plug/unplug things all the time. I want my settings to say as they are.

^^

Of course i looked over internet for that information - but without luck... Any help appreciated. Thanks !

:)

jefbyis, Jan 26, 2021

2. Audio device

I FIXED MY SOUND

Troubleshoot problems that prevent your computer from playing or recording sound.

Here is how:

Follow Bilion Debbarm METHOD #1 (in a previous reply)

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run sound audio troubleshooter, it will automatically detect the problem and fix it. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + R and click on
      Control Panel

• Click on View by: category and click on
      Small icon.

• Now click on troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Sound.

• Click on Playing Audio and Click on Next button
    (My computer says "Troubleshoot audio playback")
    click this

THEN

A box should pop up saying: Play audio Find & fix problem (Hit Next)

(computer will start searching/detecting if problem)

Question will pop up:

Which of these devices do you want to trouble shoot?

-Speakers

-Headphones

CLICK SPEAKERS

It should then ask you to change selected audio device to default

CLICK - Apply this fix.

Done!

KenyaGadson, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Windows 10 keeps automatically changing audio device to a nonexistent

I am having an issue where Windows 10 keeps automatically changing my default audio device to a nonexistent audio device cutting all sound from my laptop, a HP Envy 17 j177nr.

I frequently use a HDMI to VGA cable to use dual display with an Dell E2211Hc monitor for streaming and/or playing Final Fantasy XIV.

However, Windows 10 frequently changes my audio device to "Intel Display" whenever this monitor is plugged into my laptop. Obviously this is NOT an audio device and Windows says "Intel Display" in my audio settings so Windows should know that this is NOT an audio device but it keeps changing to that on its own very frequently if this monitor is plugged in. It does not matter if I have external speakers or headphones plugged into the laptop or not, it changes to the nonexistent audio device anyway.

I can change it back to "IDT High Definition Audio Device" but eventually Windows 10 will automatically change the audio device back to the nonexistent audio device. This usually occurs after I walk away from the laptop for an hour or two. When I come back, it will be switched back to "Intel Display"

The external monitor itself works but Windows 10 seemingly thinks that the monitor is two separate devices, one being an audio device or something.

I Googled 'Windows 10 automatically changes audio device' but only results pertaining to people being unable to change the audio device showed up. There is literally nothing regarding Windows 10 doing it on its own.

Does anybody know what the problem could be and how do I make Windows 10 stop automatically changing the audio device to this nonexistent one?

Ornithophilia, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Prevent windows to automatically change audio device

Re-enable audio device

Hi,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

• Are using speakers / head phones to listen to audio?
    If you have disabled the audio device, then you might not see it under the list of playback devices. I would suggest you to follow these steps to make sure you see the disabled devices:

• Open
        Control panel

• Click Hardware and Sound and then Click on
        Sounds.

• Under Playback tab, right click on the empty area and make sure
        “Show Disabled Devices” has a check mark on it. If headphones/Speakers are disabled, it will now show up in the list.

• Right click on the device and
        Enable it. Click OK.
    If the issue still persists, try enabling speakers automatically using steps below.

• Go to Settings> Click on themes> Advance sound settings> right click on the speakers or the audio device youo have connected > click on
      Configure device.

• Test the sound level you want, click Next.

• And configure the audio devices.

Hope this helps you. Do reply if you need further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Prevent windows to automatically change audio device

1. Prevent windows to automatically change audio device - Similar Threads - Prevent automatically change

2. How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices: This is a dead simple problem. I have a bluetooth device that you can turn on by connecting to it. It's a simple feature that is usually quite useful. The problem is that whenever Windows boots or wakes up, it will power on the device and connect to it. This is also a problem...
  3. How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent Windows from automatically connecting to bluetooth devices: This is a dead simple problem. I have a bluetooth device that you can turn on by connecting to it. It's a simple feature that is usually quite useful. The problem is that whenever Windows boots or wakes up, it will power on the device and connect to it. This is also a problem...
  4. Windows 11 automatically changing audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 automatically changing audio: The problem -- Using windows 11 when I click on an application/tab that has audio and then focus/click off to another tab/application it lowers the audio for a moment and then goes back to normal after maybe 10 seconds. Sometimes it does not correct the audio back to normal...
  5. Windows 11 automatically changing audio

Windows 11 automatically changing audio: The problem -- Using windows 11 when I click on an application/tab that has audio and then focus/click off to another tab/application it lowers the audio for a moment and then goes back to normal after maybe 10 seconds. Sometimes it does not correct the audio back to normal...
  6. Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...: I currently have a gaming headset w/microphone connected to my PC via USB, and another wireless headset w/microphone connected via Bluetooth. I frequently change between the two headsets depending on my current task. However, it's a minor annoyance to have to manually switch...
  7. Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...

Automatically change Default Audio Recording/Input device when the Default Audio...: I currently have a gaming headset w/microphone connected to my PC via USB, and another wireless headset w/microphone connected via Bluetooth. I frequently change between the two headsets depending on my current task. However, it's a minor annoyance to have to manually switch...
  8. Windows 10 keeps automatically changing audio device to a nonexistent

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 keeps automatically changing audio device to a nonexistent: I am having an issue where Windows 10 keeps automatically changing my default audio device to a nonexistent audio device cutting all sound from my laptop, a HP Envy 17 j177nr. I frequently use a HDMI to VGA cable to use dual display with an Dell E2211Hc monitor for streaming...
  9. Audio volume changes automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audio volume changes automatically: When I am playing music on Windows Media Player and use some other apps,the sound volume changes automatically https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-volume-changes-automatically/3618ca0a-b659-4f16-98f1-eac0e7068994
  10. How to stop windows 10 from automatically changing audio device?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop windows 10 from automatically changing audio device?: Whenever I turn on my Xbox 360 controller it temporarily changes my audio device to "Headset Earphone (XBOX_360_DEVICE_00:01)," even though I don't have a headset attached to my controller. If possible, I would like to disable this function. submitted by /u/Fatman4lyfe...