Windows 10: Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO

Discus and support Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I have an issue with a printer that is pushed out via GPO that is using a particular driver. Windows Update it seems is changing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by csgkurt, Jan 14, 2021.

1. csgkurt Win User

Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO

Hello everyone!

I have an issue with a printer that is pushed out via GPO that is using a particular driver. Windows Update it seems is changing the printer driver on the user PCs to use a different one that my users cannot use. I need to find a way to disable this behavior.

Details:

All PCs are running Windows 10, all HP PCs. Printer is an HP PageWide XL 5100. The driver we need to use is the HP PageWide XL 5100PS MFP V4 driver. The printer was pushed to the client PCs a few weeks ago and has been working fine. Our users print from Adobe Acrobat Standard and often have to change paper source, size, etc. right in the print options of Acrobat. With this driver they are able to do so without issue.

For the past couple of days, I've found that the printer driver has changed locally on their PCs to the HP PageWide XL 5100PS MFPPDF V4 driver. The driver on the print server has not been modified and still shows the usual HP PageWide XL 5100PS MFP V4 driver. Now the users no longer have the ability to modify the print settings in PDFs as these options are grayed out.

I've tried to resolve this by successfully removing the printer and this PDF driver from the user's PC. After I re-added the printer, it seemed to have gone back to normal, but again, the next day, it was changed back to thisPDF driver. When looking at their Windows Update history under drivers, it looks like it updated an HP printer driver. It can only be this one.

So I guess my questions are:

1. Is there a way to prevent these drivers from being changed locally for a network printer queue? Something in the security settings somewhere on the print server or somewhere else?

2. Is there a way to prevent printer drivers from being installed via Windows Update preferably a setting I can push out through GPO? Note: I did try going into the System Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Device Installation Settings button -> and selecting "No"

3. Anything else I can try that I'm not thinking of?

Thank you all in advance!!

Kurt

:)

csgkurt, Jan 14, 2021

2. Windows 10 update cause printer problem with: "Printer not activated - Error - 20"

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the printer after the Windows Update, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • How is the printer connected to the computer, locally or through network?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the drivers for printer and check.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate and expand Print queue.

• Right-click on the printer driver
      that is listed and click Update driver software.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the printer troubleshooter from
    Fix printer problems
    and then check if this fixes the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Boatvan Win User
    Windows 10 GPO Printer Add issues

A total shot in the dark since this is a very specific issue to our environment, but here it goes...

A little background on this issue, my school district is moving to windows 10. We partially deployed Windows 10 LTSB to some of the labs in the district. We are seeing sporadic issues with our Group Policies deploying printers. We have below 50% success rate with printers actually installing on the Windows 10 client machines.

Thinking it was an issue with LTSB, we downloaded and installed Windows 10 Education version 1709 on a test VM and joined it to the domain. I then applied GPO’s from 4 different servers. 3 Physical Server 2012 R2 servers and the original problem Server 2012 R2 VM Server.

What I found was the same inconsistency after rebooting the Win 10 Edu Test VM. I am getting the same Event 513. See below:

Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO print.png

I am 100% sure the naming is right because I can manually add the same printer using the \\SERVER\FerLib path. All printers that fail to add have the Event 513. I am also going to post this on other forums.

We are only seeing this on student accounts which are domain guest accounts, meaning their profiles are non-permanent. We do not have the option to turn them into regular users per district policy. If you need more info that I omitted please let me know. We are getting desperate.

Thanks!

Boatvan, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO

Can't change printer preferences in Windows 10

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

• What exactly happens when you try to go into printer driver settings from Control Panel?
    I suggest you to try the steps given below and check if it helps:

Step 1:

• Type change default printer and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Step 2:

• Type printers and scanners and hit
      enter.

• Check whether you are able to change the preferences and properties from here.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO

1. Prevent Windows Update from changing a printer driver that is pushed through GPO - Similar Threads - Prevent Update changing

2. GPO push for msi but need proxy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO push for msi but need proxy: Have a client needs an MSI installer for GPO push but has a proxy. How do you set a proxy in an MSI ? I can do it via msiexec using command ling augments but not seeing a way to do it in GPO. I also dont see how to editing the file using orca....
  3. GPO push for msi but need proxy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPO push for msi but need proxy: Have a client needs an MSI installer for GPO push but has a proxy. How do you set a proxy in an MSI ? I can do it via msiexec using command ling augments but not seeing a way to do it in GPO. I also dont see how to editing the file using orca....
  4. how to prevent Win10 from installing it's own VGA Driver through windows update automatically ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent Win10 from installing it's own VGA Driver through windows update automatically ?: been experiencing this annoying auto update download that i can't stop even after disabling it in Group Policy and in Servicesi have a perfectly working AMD Adrenalin Driver already but this windows update still downloading and stalling a completely broken drivers.it pisses...
  5. how to prevent Win10 from installing it's own VGA Driver through windows update automatically ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to prevent Win10 from installing it's own VGA Driver through windows update automatically ?: been experiencing this annoying auto update download that i can't stop even after disabling it in Group Policy and in Servicesi have a perfectly working AMD Adrenalin Driver already but this windows update still downloading and stalling a completely broken drivers.it pisses...
  6. unable to push configured GPO for latest window

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to push configured GPO for latest window: hi dear i can't push this TCP/IP configuration from my active directory to window 10 because it is Supported on: Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 operating systems only...so what can i do? i will wait your swift response please...
  7. Prevent Logmein from Changing Default Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent Logmein from Changing Default Printer: Hi, Logmein seemingly has an ongoing, unsolved issue and I wondered if there's a Windows solution to it. When logging in remotely, Logmein finds any remotely connected printer and sets it as the default printer for the host computer. This is silly to start with, but...
  8. windows 10 update prevents printer from operating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 update prevents printer from operating: I bought a new computer in December 2019 with windows 10. I was told that Windows 7 would no longer have support after January 1, 2020. Transferred everything from old computer to new computer, and hooked up 6 month old printer. Printer has been working fine until last...
  9. Prevent Windows Update from sneaking in drivers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent Windows Update from sneaking in drivers?: After installing Windows 10 and manually installing the drivers I want, I used WuMgr to set flags to stop Windows 10 from downloading drivers. Windows Update confirmed that GPO flags were set, and the drivers didn't show up under any downloads. However, after a reboot, Intel...
  10. Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Prevent Windows 10 Pro from restarting after updating through a GPO.: Hi all, I'm having many issues since our company migrated our few hundred machines over to Windows 10 over the past few months. I put a lot of them down to the teething troubles you experience with any relatively young OS but several are being very problematic and frankly...