Windows 10: Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer

Discus and support Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop that sees infrequent use. Sometimes it doesn't get used for a week or two at a time. As a result, every time that we need to use it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VSE-JLindquist, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer

I have a laptop that sees infrequent use. Sometimes it doesn't get used for a week or two at a time.

As a result, every time that we need to use it, it's a huge hassle because we can't get any work done. The computer immediately realizes that it hasn't scanend for updates or viruses in 2 weeks and then proceeds to use all of the computer resources to get it done. It makes everything else unbareably slow - and this is a computer intended for graphic design work (it has a 2ish-year old Intel i7, Nvidia GPU, and at least 8GB of RAM).

The updates/scans often take forever. There have been times where we just have to leave the computer plugged in on a counter for the entire day while it goes through update after update.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I never had these kinds of problems with updates on Windows XP / Windows 7, but the updates on Windows 10 just seem to take all the resources and prevent anything else from running.

EDIT: Spelling

:)

VSE-JLindquist, Feb 15, 2019
  2. Mayra Aqu Win User

Updates slowing computer performance

Hi,

Listed below are possible causes why Windows is running slow:

• Too many application installed.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.
    • Outdated drivers.

For us to assist you with the concern, we suggest following the steps on this
    article

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Virus Scan

My N73 Music Edition phone becoms very slow, to open addres book or SMS or to delete any SMS it takes long time. I think it have some virus.

1. How to scan & delete this virus???

2. Is there any free virus scan available???

3. While scanning virus & to protect phone book & SMS or songs, what are the steps to follows ???

Pl. help.

bhagwatkar, Feb 15, 2019
  4. Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer

Virus/Windows error

I could be wrong. I use bitdeffender and I'm sure they have a way to scan the computer with out physically booting into windows I sometimes also use malwarebytes and I'm sure they have that type of way to. I highly suggest trying both even if just save mode.

Their is another way.

Take out his haRd drive plug it into yours as external and If you can then have the drive show on your pc. Scan that drive with yours then boom! ! Bye bye virus!

SanityGaming, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer

1. Prevent Windows Updates and Virus Scans from slowing down computer - Similar Threads - Prevent Updates Virus

2. Windows 11 preventing computer from shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 preventing computer from shutting down: Is it only me or the new windows 11 update prevent your computer from shutting down. Whenever I click on shutdown the computer automatically restarts...
  3. Windows 11 preventing computer from shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 preventing computer from shutting down: Is it only me or the new windows 11 update prevent your computer from shutting down. Whenever I click on shutdown the computer automatically restarts...
  4. virus scan stops down loads

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virus scan stops down loads: i am trying to load my ipod or even trying to down load edge cant get past cvirus scan failed any one know how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-scan-stops-down-loads/8317227f-2255-4397-823f-3b4e0592c9ae
  5. How to prevent Windows 10 boot from slowing down every update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent Windows 10 boot from slowing down every update?: Seems to me each time Windows 10 makes a huge update where a "Windows.old" is created, my PC's boot slows down. General performance is more or less the same. It's very apparent to me that the time my PC spends particularly on the user screen and time it takes to start up...
  6. Running Windows Security Anti-virus Scan extremely lags computer and slows it down.

Running Windows Security Anti-virus Scan extremely lags computer and slows it down.: Whenever I try to run a Windows Security Scan, it extremely slows my computer down and causes it to freeze for short amounts of time. I know that running a scan will slow down my computer, but this makes a lot of tasks impossible. Whenever I open the task manager to see what...
  7. windows update slows down computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows update slows down computer: had a update to desktop (Win 10pro, 8g ram) and it has slowed down to almost a stop - takes over 5 minutes to load Adobe Acrobat XI. Had problem just after loaded 10 and was told to stop a app that loads a quick access to supposedly speed up this. Anyone know what this...
  8. Computer scan from prompt to identify viruses

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer scan from prompt to identify viruses: Hello, Please be sure to give me a command prompt command to identify the viruses or what antivirus you recommend to install it, but I want the antivirus not to consume too much resource. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  9. Computer scan from prompt to identify viruses

Computer scan from prompt to identify viruses: Hello, Please be sure to give me a command prompt command to identify the viruses or what antivirus you recommend to install it, but I want the antivirus not to consume too much resource. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  10. updates preventing my computer from shutting down

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    updates preventing my computer from shutting down: i keep getting this message. i have already disabled automatic updates through group policy editor. [img] 103389

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do I stop my computer from being bogged down by virus scans?

2. keep scanning from slowing down computer

3. what folder does antivirus need to exclude to prevent scans when windows updates install on windows 10