Windows 10: Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script

Discus and support Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Greetings, I am looking for a way to stop my users from being able to open WordPad or from being able to open RTF files (either would serve the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jerry Peacock (jpeacock), Feb 12, 2019.

1. Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script

Greetings,

I am looking for a way to stop my users from being able to open WordPad or from being able to open RTF files (either would serve the same purpose). I need to roll this out to all machines preferably by GPO, but a script would work too. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Jerry

:)

Jerry Peacock (jpeacock), Feb 12, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

rtf. file

Hi Michelle,

Some documents when saved takes up space due to its components. For us to help you with your concern, we'd like to know if your rtf file has images on it.

Meanwhile, if your rtf file has pure texts, we suggest that you follow the steps below to reduce the size of your rtf file:

• Compose your rtf file in Microsoft Word.
    • Instead of saving, copy and paste your composition to WordPad. All the formatting is copied over too.
    • Save the document with WordPad, and you'll get a significantly smaller file.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Cannot select Wordpad as default for .rtf files

Hello!

Follow these steps to set your default application when launching .rtf files.

1. Right click where you want to create a new rich text file (.rtf).

2. Click New > Rich Text Document

3. Give your document a name; anything is fine.

4. Right click your newly created document

5. Click "Open with..."

6. Check "Always use this app to open .rtf files"

7. If WordPad is not already listed, you will need to find it in your PC's program files. To do this, follow Step 7a-7d.

7a. Scroll down and click "Look for another app on this PC"

7b. When the file explorer opens, find the folder "Windows NT" and double click it.

7c. Double click "Acessories"

7d. Double click "WordPad"

Your new file that you created should open in WordPad.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have a nice day!

-Jared

JaredShaver, Feb 12, 2019
  4. HVWB Win User

Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script

Cannot select Wordpad as default for .rtf files

I am running windows 10. When I go into settings>apps & features and look for Wordpad it is not listed. If I go to settings>default apps>Choose default apps by file type and find the rtf file type and click on it wordpad is NOT listed. Yet I can go to
    my windows app list under Windows Accessories and wordpad is listed. I can launch it and create files so it is installed. If I click on the rtf file that was just created from wordpad it will not launch Wordpad. How can I correct this problem?

Thema:

Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script

1. Prevent WordPad from opening, or prevent RTF files from opening by policy or script - Similar Threads - Prevent WordPad opening

2. Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon preventing the opening of indexed files searched from Start: When I search for indexed files or folders in Windows Start, the list is correctly returned, but after less than a second, a small icon gets displayed near some files quite randomly and prevents me from directly opening them by clicking. Although I fail to upload the icon...
  3. How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.: This is a long time problem. Anytime you open a window of the same program, it puts it cascading in front of the previous window.Here is Explorer. I open one window, then another and one more. And it opens each with a cascade.This also happens in edge and any window that is...
  4. How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.: This is a long time problem. Anytime you open a window of the same program, it puts it cascading in front of the previous window.Here is Explorer. I open one window, then another and one more. And it opens each with a cascade.This also happens in edge and any window that is...
  5. How to prevent windows from Cascading on open.

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Firefox prevents the taskbar from opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firefox prevents the taskbar from opening: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/be_luga [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lr3qfx/firefox_prevents_the_taskbar_from_opening/
  7. Prevent calculator app from opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Prevent calculator app from opening: I’m using a little numpad as a macro pad with HIDMacros. The key binds and hot keys are working very well but there’s a calculator button on the numpad that I have no idea how to disable. I am able to add macros to this button and they work but when I press it, the calculator...
  8. How to prevent Chromedge from Opening PDFs

in Browsers and Email
    How to prevent Chromedge from Opening PDFs: Currently running Win10 1909, IE11, Edge Chromium and Acrobat Reader 11. Ever since I updated to new edge any PDFs online that I click on with IE open in Edge by default. I would prefer to open them in Acrobat Reader but cannot find the setting. My company uses PIV cards and...
  9. Group Policy shutdown script preventing PC from shutting down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Group Policy shutdown script preventing PC from shutting down: On my machine, I have a script which shuts a Mac down via ssh. It's been tested and works ok. It doesn't require any input. This script is used on shutdown and is set in local GPO. However, when ever this is set, the PC does not shutdown and simply shows the shutting down...
  10. Content blocked when opening an rtf document from network with Wordpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Content blocked when opening an rtf document from network with Wordpad: Hello. Whenever I try to open an rtf document from a network share with Wordpad, I get a security notice that says that content is blocked. Here is a snapshot (in Italian): [ATTACH] I've tried to click both OK and Unlock, but nothing changes. OS: Windows 10 Pro. How...