Windows 10: Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

Discus and support Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I am running Windows 10 Pro. I'd like to make sure that my computer will not be automatically upgraded to Windows 11 until I feel ready to make this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by kraemerpw, Jan 26, 2022.

1. kraemerpw Win User

Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

Hi,I am running Windows 10 Pro. I'd like to make sure that my computer will not be automatically upgraded to Windows 11 until I feel ready to make this change. Can anyone tell me what is the best way I can prevent the Windows 11 upgrade from taking place automatically?Along the same lines, a co-worker of mine is in a similar situation. The difference for him is it seems that the Windows 11 upgrade has already been downloaded but not yet installed. I say this because he has a notification icon on his taskbar saying that Windows 11 is ready to be installed. Being he seems to be one step farther

:)

kraemerpw, Jan 26, 2022
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Jan 26, 2022
  3. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Jan 26, 2022
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jan 26, 2022
Thema:

1. Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 - Similar Threads - Preventing automatic upgrade

2. How to Prevent Windows 10 or 11 From Automatically Downloading Updates?

in Windows 10 News
    How to Prevent Windows 10 or 11 From Automatically Downloading Updates?: Most Windows users find the regular Windows 10 and 11 automatic updates frustrating. Thankfully, you can now control this and install all Windows updates as per your schedule. Read on to learn how to stop automatic updates from Windows 10 and 11. [ATTACH] Preventing Auto...
  3. Disable automatic upgrade from 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable automatic upgrade from 10 to 11: How do I disable the Windows Update that forces me to install Windows 11? I do not want to install Windows 11 at this time.To clarify, I know how to disable updates completely -- I would rather not do that. I want to disable this single specific update without completely...
  4. Disable automatic upgrade from 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable automatic upgrade from 10 to 11: How do I disable the Windows Update that forces me to install Windows 11? I do not want to install Windows 11 at this time.To clarify, I know how to disable updates completely -- I would rather not do that. I want to disable this single specific update without completely...
  5. Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11: Hi,I am running Windows 10 Pro. I'd like to make sure that my computer will not be automatically upgraded to Windows 11 until I feel ready to make this change. Can anyone tell me what is the best way I can prevent the Windows 11 upgrade from taking place automatically?Along...
  6. Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11: Hi,I am running Windows 10 Pro. I'd like to make sure that my computer will not be automatically upgraded to Windows 11 until I feel ready to make this change. Can anyone tell me what is the best way I can prevent the Windows 11 upgrade from taking place automatically?Along...
  7. Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11: I have a Windows 10 professional license on my work computer. I have been notified that I can download and install the upgrade.I am a bit skittish about this. How do I temporarily prevent this from happening?Just not click on the "Download and Install" box?...
  8. Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11: I have a Windows 10 professional license on my work computer. I have been notified that I can download and install the upgrade.I am a bit skittish about this. How do I temporarily prevent this from happening?Just not click on the "Download and Install" box?...
  9. Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Prevent Automatic Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Prevent Automatic Upgrade to Windows 10: I support a large community of seniors. Typically I have them running Automatic Updates, because they don't want to do their own maintenance. The most common complaint they come in with is there computers are really slow. It usually turns out that they have 30 to 40 updates...