Windows 10: Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

Discus and support Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a lot of mp3 music which is ripped from my extensive CD collection (I went to live abroad and didn't have space for all my CDs). I like to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Oriol_FM, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Oriol_FM Win User

Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

I have a lot of mp3 music which is ripped from my extensive CD collection (I went to live abroad and didn't have space for all my CDs).

I like to have all my lists arranged and sorted, with accurate art. Several of my albums are but a compilation of different mp3 songs put together in a mix. For those, I spent hours modifying the tags and adding album art, and so on.

I made sure to deactivate the "search the internet for missing information" option.

Yet, at every W10 update, the preferences are reset, and the next time I open the Groove player, starts rewriting all the MP3 tags I've spent hours with.

It's a pity, since I like Groove for its minimalistic approach.

Is anyone aware of a way of preventing this overwriting of files? I have about 4000 mp3 files, so having to go over them again and again it's far from optimal.

:)

Oriol_FM, Dec 19, 2018

2. Groove can't find music in Windows 10

Hi, Duncan.

Thank you for posting your response. I understand your concern, we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I would suggest that you Reset Groove and check if the issue persist. Follow the steps below to Reset Groove.

• On the search bar, type “Powershell” right click on it and select RUN as Administrator.
    • Copy and paste the command stated here without the brackets (get-appxpackage *Microsoft.ZuneMusic* | remove-appxpackage)
    • This will remove Groove from your system, you can install the app again from Store. But it will required to close Windows Store (if opened), to install Groove again.
    Hope this information is helpful.

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 19, 2018
  3. GROOVE MUSIC IS NO LONGER WORKING/SYNCING/UPDATING FIX THIS MS

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to remove and re-add the Music folder from Groove app. follow the steps below:

• Open Groove App.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Under Music on this PC, click on Choose where we look for Music.
    • Click on the X mark next to the folder location listed, to delete the location from Groove App.
    • Once done try to re-add the folder by clicking on Add a Folder.
    • Restart the computer and check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

sync with the Groove app

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are
    facing issue with ‘groove app’. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

It is specific to using Groove Music with music stored on One Drive. Groove music will open and work normally with any local files.

To guide you in the right direction, I need more information from the computer by answering the following questions:

• Is that a Microsoft account which you are trying to sync?

• Are you facing any other issues related to apps?

• What is the error message/code you are getting?
    Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Meanwhile I suggest you to try the Method provided below and
    check if it helps.

Method 1

Step 1: Disable the firewall of anti-virus/system protection utility.

Turn off Windows Firewall Disclaimer:

• You should not turn off Firewall unless you have another firewall enabled. Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from worms or hackers.

• In addition to a firewall, you also need an antivirus and anti-malware program to help protect your computer. Install Microsoft Security Essentials or another antivirus and anti-malware program, and keep it up to date. Many of
      these programs update automatically.

• Enter ‘Firewall’ into the search bar and select the firewall installed recently as it appears as an application on the top.

• Turn off the firewall.
    Step 2. Run the built in app troubleshooter. (Right click on the built driver file.)

Step 3. Click/tap on Troubleshoot Compatibility. And check if it helps.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists
    please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates

1. Preventing Groove from overwriting file information after system updates - Similar Threads - Preventing Groove overwriting

2. How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent automatic Windows 11 updates from overwriting critical driver versions?: I'm playing Warzone 3 on Windows 11, and this game requires an Intel graphics driver version 49 or higher to run properly. I download and install the latest driver version version 53 from Intel's website, and the game runs fine. However, Windows automatically attempts to...
  3. Moving files from system volume information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files from system volume information: Hi, I just faced this problem and need help with it , I accidentally dragged one of my folders to "system volume information" folder on my external drive and it moved there. when i wanted to move it back nothing happened even deleting it doesn't work and i need these files ,...
  4. Moving files from system volume information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from system volume information: Hi, I just faced this problem and need help with it , I accidentally dragged one of my folders to "system volume information" folder on my external drive and it moved there. when i wanted to move it back nothing happened even deleting it doesn't work and i need these files ,...
  5. Moving files from system volume information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prevent Windows Overwriting Hosts File: I've been editing my Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file for years to facilitate my work. As of a couple of days ago Windows has started overwriting this file with a clean version every time I boot up. I have tried making the file read-only and denying write permissions...
  7. Preventing creation of System Volume Information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preventing creation of System Volume Information: Hi all, I need help how to prevent Windows 10 Pro 1909 (18363.535) creating the System Volume Information on removable drive (CF Card). I have CF Cards with installed Win Embedded with two partitions: - first is System - second is software Usually on Windows 7, was opened...
  8. Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Windows from overwriting other OS's bootloader: Hi! Just as the title suggests, I'd like to prevent Windows from overwriting the bootloader. Currently I have several operating systems (none of them being Windows) in my computer and all of them are managed by a single bootloader which installed on the SSD, but I'd like to...
  9. System informations not updating after swapping SSD

System informations not updating after swapping SSD: Hi everyone, I have a laptop that came with a regular HDD. I decided to put an SSD in it instead and install Windows 10 on it. From there, everything went right. The problem is that I just bought a new desktop and I decided to put the laptop's SSD in the desktop. I had to...
  10. Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade

Prevent Win10 from overwriting config.nt on every major upgrade: Is there a way to prevent WIndows 10 (pro) from overwriting config.nt every time there is a major update (ie creators update, etc)? I have a client who has a highly customized config.nt file required to operate a legacy DOS application. Every time there's a major windows...