Windows 10: Preventing Installing Microsoft Store Apps for Child Accounts

Discus and support Preventing Installing Microsoft Store Apps for Child Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've researched this pretty thoroughly and there are several posts already about it. The other posts I think are pretty clear about what they're trying... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by LL_VA, Jul 6, 2020.

1. LL_VA Win User

Preventing Installing Microsoft Store Apps for Child Accounts

I've researched this pretty thoroughly and there are several posts already about it. The other posts I think are pretty clear about what they're trying to achieve but it seems that the responses don't understand the current Windows ecosystem and tools available ex: differences between Windows Home and Pro Editions vs. Enterprise, and the ability to use AppLocker or Group Policy to prevent installs from the store.

I have used two leading parental monitoring applications for my 6 year old son but neither prevents installs from the Microsoft store.

Let me summarize the issue and what I have found:

• My child has the ability to download and install free apps/games/etc from the Microsoft Store and I and others who have posted want this turned off. My child is under Microsoft Family Link and I manage his account that way.
    • To be clear: my child will go under his heavily locked down account and still be able to install games and play them. We don't want this at all. It turns into an issue because it alters his behavior, making him irritable and prone to tantrums when he has to stop.
    • I think everyone knows the difference between and Administrator and Standard account and that a Standard account can't install software. Let's be clear, though: 1 even with a Standard account you can install software from the Microsoft Store, and 2 A Microsoft Family Link child account is not a Local account anyway.
    • You can prevent a child from viewing age inappropriate apps down to 3 years old, but what I and others want is to completely turn off or completely turn on the ability to authorize/approve ALL installs from the Store.
    • The ability to use AppLocker, Registry edits, or Group Policy to disable the store is not something allowed in Windows 10 Home or Pro. You can do so in Enterprise and Education editions, I believe, but this isn't much good for everyday folks. Yesterday, for example, I went to Best Buy and the Windows machines all seemed to be running Windows 10 Home. I run Windows 10 Pro on my current machine but Microsoft changed their approach a few years ago so things like using Group Policy to block the Store do not work. Even if you could disable the store that apparently prevents updates from installed apps. This is a security risk.
    • What I and others want is a way, like Apple and Google, to have any and all store app installs approved by parents! Microsoft Family Link does not currently have this functionality. Please don't say you can block individual apps through Family Link. I know this, but it doesn't solve the issue. I can't play a game of whack-a-mole after the installation. Prevent installations without permission before installation!

So, my question:

• If there is a way to prevent or to require approval for all applications/games/etc from the Microsoft Store on a Windows 10 Home or Pro OS machine, please advise. I would like to approve installs but I will take just turning the store off. There are only a handful of reasons/applications/sites that my 6 year old has any need to visit or use.

I purchased a Chromebook 2 weeks ago for the first time for my older child and it works exactly as I would like from an app install perspective - I have to approve any installation, along with having other handy parental controls. I have just purchased a second one for my 6 year old child due to the parental controls Google offers. I looked heavily at Windows laptops but could not get over the issue I've outlined above so went with another Chromebook. However, I still have our home desktop which is running Windows and where this is still an issue.

Thanks!

:)

LL_VA, Jul 6, 2020
  2. sam02 Win User

App store and Microsoft account

Thank you for the advice

I see what you mean about the password but i think its a backward step to compromise my Microsoft password to to use the app store

sam02, Jul 6, 2020
  3. prevent a CHILD account from installing anything from Microsoft store

Hi there,

I have a created a child account for my 8 yrs old son and its working fine mostly.

There is a problem. My son is able to install free apps from Microsoft store.

How do I prevent it? I don't want him to install anything without my permission.

Please help!

saurabh3679, Jul 6, 2020
  4. roto169 Win User

How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store

Is there anyway to prevent a child's account from making purchases from the Windows Store? I asked the MS Community for help but the only response I received was to "remove the account from the family". If I do this, then they are no longer able to log into the computer. Is there a reasonable alternative to using the family settings offered by Microsoft?

roto169, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Preventing Installing Microsoft Store Apps for Child Accounts - Similar Threads - Preventing Installing Microsoft

2. Installing the application from to Microsoft store for the child

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing the application from to Microsoft store for the child: I would like to ask how I could solve the problem with installation of application from Microsoft store in my child account.The application which I want to install need parent permission. I get the email to approve the installation, however I clicked on approve later and now...
  3. Installing the application from to Microsoft store for the child

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Installing the application from to Microsoft store for the child: I would like to ask how I could solve the problem with installation of application from Microsoft store in my child account.The application which I want to install need parent permission. I get the email to approve the installation, however I clicked on approve later and now...
  4. Microsoft Store preventing installer from installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store preventing installer from installing: I recently got a new computer, an HP Laptop with Windows 11, and I'm immediately running into a problem. I've been trying to install Steam to continue playing my games, but when I try to run the official installer, I get this message from a Microsoft Store pop-up: "The app...
  5. Microsoft Store preventing installer from installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store preventing installer from installing: I recently got a new computer, an HP Laptop with Windows 11, and I'm immediately running into a problem. I've been trying to install Steam to continue playing my games, but when I try to run the official installer, I get this message from a Microsoft Store pop-up: "The app...
  6. How can child accounts be prevented from installing apps from the Microsoft Store without...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How can child accounts be prevented from installing apps from the Microsoft Store without...: I'm asking how to stop apps being installed by child accounts. Is there a way to just stop child accounts being able to install anything without authorisation from a parent account first? These are child accounts. They do not have admin status. In any case, child...
  7. Microsoft store vpn apps and child accounts

Microsoft store vpn apps and child accounts: How can one avoid a child account from accessing the Microsoft store online and downloading vpn/browser apps directly on the computer? It seems that even if I block the Microsoft store via the desktop, these apps can still be downloaded by going on microsoft.com;...
  8. Microsoft Store Prevents Installing Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store Prevents Installing Games: I just got the game pass for pc (beta), then started installing all my other games that I was interested in. Then the last game "Cluster Truck" I tried to download but the store show me a circle with a slash to me. If anyone knows a solution please tell me!...
  9. Prevent child accessing the Microsoft Store

Prevent child accessing the Microsoft Store: Can you please advise me how I can prevent my child from accessing the Microsoft Store completely? I have set an age limit to block inappropriate apps, games and media and have also enabled adult approval for purchases but unfortunately, this does nothing to hinder the...
  10. How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store

How to prevent child accounts from making purchases on Windows Store: Is there anyway to prevent a child's account from making purchases from the Windows Store? I asked the MS Community for help but the only response I received was to "remove the account from the family". If I do this, then they are no longer able to log into the computer. Is...