Windows 10: Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

Discus and support Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit and Adobe Acrobat X Pro but I cannot see preview and thumbnails of pdf files. I just find the Icon for Adobe Acrobat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichelleHarder1, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

I installed Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit and Adobe Acrobat X Pro but I cannot see preview and thumbnails of pdf files. I just find the Icon for Adobe Acrobat on each pdf.

:)

MichelleHarder1, Apr 8, 2019

2. PDF Thumbnail Preview in Windows Explorer without installed PDF Preview Handler?

Can PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer (7 or 8 or 10) show the first page of the PDF file without having to install a custom PDF Preview Handler from Adobe or Foxit or from Tracker Software or from one of the other known preview providers?

Please note: I do NOT mean the specific File Preview pane in Windows Explorer where one can scroll through all the pages of a PDF document (which is provided by a PDF Preview Handler e.g. from Adobe)!

I explicitly mean the thumbnails inside the Windows Explorer browsing area when the Windows Explorer View Mode is set to THUMBNAILS.

If the answer is NO: Can you suggest a MINIMAL installation package for this functionality (thumbnails displaying PDF first page) without having to install Adobe Reader or one of those large PDF packages from one of the other PDF brands?

user1580348, Apr 8, 2019
  3. Preview and thumbnails are not showing up in Windows Explorer, Adobe Acrobat X Pro.

Hi Susanne,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern. The PDF Shell component in Adobe Reader allows you to see the thumbnails of PDF documents in Windows explorer. However, it seems Preview and Thumbnails of PDF files are disabled. Please follow steps mentioned below to enable
    the same.

1. Launch Adobe Reader.
    2. Click on Edit in the menu bar and choose
      Preferences.
    3. Highlight General under Categories.
    4. Check the box behind Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

You may also want to refer
    Enable thumbnail of PDFs in Windows Explorer
    for more details.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Apr 8, 2019
  4. ste0 Win User

Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

PDF thumbnails not showing in Windows 10 file explorer

In Acrobat Reader DC, go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

This should show thumbnails in File Explorer. For some reason, my selection got turned off (not by me). Check your settings again. I have done this same step for numerous computers now, and so far they all work.

The first time you do this, Adobe Reader DC actually has a pop-up saying something like installing a add-on or extension. If you don't see this, then I suggest a reinstall of the latest DC.

ste0, Apr 8, 2019
Thema:

Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available

1. Preview and thumbnails of pdf files are not available - Similar Threads - Preview thumbnails pdf

2. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  3. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing: Hello there,I was working on File Explorer recently and noticed that my file thumbnails mostly my video files are not showing their thumbnails in my folder instead of the program icon. I've had this problem for quite some time now, since a few months ago. It's becoming a...
  4. File Thumbnail Preview Not Showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?: Hi all,I was wondering if there was any way to enable file previews for PDFs or add custom thumbnails as I have a lot of PDFs and it's impossible to differentiate them without looking at the file names themselves. File names are useful obviously, but it'd be incredibly easier...
  6. Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom File Thumbnails or Preview for Files?: Hi all,I was wondering if there was any way to enable file previews for PDFs or add custom thumbnails as I have a lot of PDFs and it's impossible to differentiate them without looking at the file names themselves. File names are useful obviously, but it'd be incredibly easier...
  7. Thumbnails for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thumbnails for .pdf files: On Windows 10, latest updates installed, how can I show thumbnails of .pdf file in Explorer instead of the generic pdf icon, as it happens with .jpg files?Regardsmarius...
  8. PDF thumbnails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PDF thumbnails: I’d like to learn how the file explorer preview pane display thumbnails of PDF documents. I need it to capture and then save the thumbnail of the first page of PDFs to a photo format (e.g., jpg, png, tiff, etc)....
  9. PDF thumbnails in windows explrer - available in windows 10S??

in Windows 10 Support
    PDF thumbnails in windows explrer - available in windows 10S??: I typically use foxit reader in order to show PDF thumbnail previews in Windows explorer. Is there something available in the windows store which will do the same? 121385
  10. How to restore PDF thumbnail previews in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to restore PDF thumbnail previews in Windows 10: Folks, I've found a great solution to a nagging issue. With Adobe Reader DC, the folks at Adobe made every thumbnail a plain pdf icon. They removed the preview where the pdf icon is replaced by the first page of the pdf file. Seeing the pdf content is much more helpful...