Windows 10: Previewing Excel files in File Explorer

Discus and support Previewing Excel files in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use the Windows File Explorer extensively. I like being able to preview files and can readily do so with Word and PDF files. However, I can't do so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RJL_web, Mar 8, 2021.

1. RJL_web Win User

Previewing Excel files in File Explorer

I use the Windows File Explorer extensively. I like being able to preview files and can readily do so with Word and PDF files. However, I can't do so with Excel files. Is there anyway to add this capability?

:)

RJL_web, Mar 8, 2021

2. Preview Pane in Explorer No Longer Working with Excel Files

System Parameters:

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.345 64 bit

Excel for Office 365 MOS (16.0.1129_20045) 32 bit

Issue:

Windows/Excel recently updated. Presumably, this was done to "fix" a problem (which reminds me of when I "fixed" my pet).

Now, when I look at a list of files in Windows Explorer, the "Preview" pane will no longer preview excel files; and if I leave the "Preview" pane open, the computer hangs.

Need help with making the preview function of explorer work again with excel files. Any takers?

user wishing her company would use linux, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Previewing Excel files in File Explorer

excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

When I open an excel file by double clicking on the name in windows explorer, the file opens OK but at the same

time, the explorer file list jumps up and down as it lists and de-lists the

excel temp file. It is very distracting. I can close the explorer window or

simply change to another folder. It occurs only on one of my computers and only on some excel files

It happens only with excel files and not with word or acrobat

Any suggestions where to look for the problem. We've reinstalled Office 10 and reset my windows profile. nothing helped so far.

Joel Trussell, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Previewing Excel files in File Explorer

1. Previewing Excel files in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Previewing Excel files

2. Unable to preview Excel files on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to preview Excel files on File Explorer: A user of ours who has Windows 10 Pro is unable to preview Excel files on the File explorer. She is able to preview Notes, Word documents, PDF's, Photos exccept Excel.Please advise as soon as possible. I have followed and viewed several articles everything has been done and...
  3. Unable to preview Excel files on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to preview Excel files on File Explorer: A user of ours who has Windows 10 Pro is unable to preview Excel files on the File explorer. She is able to preview Notes, Word documents, PDF's, Photos exccept Excel.Please advise as soon as possible. I have followed and viewed several articles everything has been done and...
  4. Unable to preview Excel files on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.: I am running Windows 11 with all updates and Office 365. File explorer will preview all documents word, pdf, etc EXCEPT Excel files. Set up a Temporary User account and Excel previewer works! How do I determine the difference between the Temporary User account and my Lip505...
  6. File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer will not preview Excel documents.: I am running Windows 11 with all updates and Office 365. File explorer will preview all documents word, pdf, etc EXCEPT Excel files. Set up a Temporary User account and Excel previewer works! How do I determine the difference between the Temporary User account and my Lip505...
  7. The notorious "No preview only of Excel files in Explorer"

in Microsoft Office and 365
    The notorious "No preview only of Excel files in Explorer": By now probably everybody who's dealing with the problem encountered the same level of frustrations. Quite obviously this is a major design flaw in Windows as there are gazillions of posts on the subject from people dealing with exactly the same issue. There are also...
  8. why can't i preview excel files in win10 file explorer?

why can't i preview excel files in win10 file explorer?: why can't i preview excel files in explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-preview-excel-files-in-win10-file/b8c3cd60-1e02-4a51-b479-0810d7d75a2d
  9. Office 2016 - no preview of Excel documents in File Explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 - no preview of Excel documents in File Explorer: Brand new laptop with freshly installed Office 2016 (Windows 10 version 1903). I cannot get Excel docs to preview in File Explorer (no problem with all other Office documents and PDFs). Looking online, I've seen that this is a relatively common problem. I've tried all the...
  10. Preview Pane in Explorer No Longer Working with Excel Files

Preview Pane in Explorer No Longer Working with Excel Files: System Parameters: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1803 OS Build 17134.345 64 bit Excel for Office 365 MOS (16.0.1129_20045) 32 bit Issue: Windows/Excel recently updated. Presumably, this was done to "fix" a problem (which reminds me of when I "fixed" my pet). Now, when...