Windows 10: Previous backup Disk images with Win 7 , Keep?

Discus and support Previous backup Disk images with Win 7 , Keep? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Now that my computers are updated to Windows 10 , are the old back up disk images with win7 of any use ? Can they even be used to revert back to Win 7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by sportflyer, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Previous backup Disk images with Win 7 , Keep?

Now that my computers are updated to Windows 10 , are the old back up disk images with win7 of any use ? Can they even be used to revert back to Win 7 ? Should I just delete them and make new disk image with win 10. Tks

:)

sportflyer, Dec 14, 2015
  2. loyall Win User

Can a Windows image backup restore Win 10 computer to Win7?

I have upgraded my Win 7 computer to Win 10. On my external hard drive I have a Windows image backup from before the upgrade to Win10. Not sure that I would ever want to but... can this image backup of my previous Win7 installation be used to restore my
    computer to Win 7? Would it work? If not, why not? Would I use the Windows Repair Disk I created for Win 10 , or the one I created for Win 7?

loyall, Dec 14, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    System Image Creation Failed

System Image is a Windows 10 backup program. It can be accessed through Win 7 backup but it is not a win 7 program. (Don't use win 7 backup for backups. It is just for restoring win 7 backups. Use File History for regular backups in win 10.) You must have
    an external or second internal drive to store the image, not disks or thumb drives or a partition on the boot drive. What is Local Disk D? It is not listed in the drive list. Local Drive E is listed and seems to be available if you change the backup location
    to E. Check Disk Management to see what you have. You can assign new letters and or names to the external backup drive such as Drive R or S etc. Use letters towards the end of the alphabet.

Remember that a system image is diff from regular backups. It is all or nothing. Restoring an image is for complete reinstallation of everything. The hard drive will be overwritten with the image--such as when you install a new hard drive. You cannot restore
    individual files. It is for disaster recovery and does not get updated automatically. You should make a new image when there is a big change such as after a big upgrade of windows.

In a computer with a ssd and a data hard drive, the data drive should not be used for backups. It should be part of the system image. You need to access the image on an external drive to restore the image if the boot or data drives fail. A Recovery disk
    will be your boot disk so be sure to make one on a dvd or thumb drive. It has to be on bootable media.

To get to system image backup, open File History and use the link in the lower left corner.

mlg63, Dec 14, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Previous backup Disk images with Win 7 , Keep?

Hi,

That depends on how they were made. Windows 7 backup or Macrium Reflect image etc...

Up to you but having an image of the current installation is a must IMHO.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 14, 2015
  5. Looey Win User
    If you are 100% sure you're staying with Windows 10 then why keep your Windows 7 images. If you created the Windows 7 images using Microsoft's image creation tool then you can create a new one in Windows 10 that will overwrite the old image. You can use the old image to revert back to Windows 7 if needed. Restoring an image overwrites the drive you backed up so it doesn't matter which Windows is on there.

Looey, Dec 14, 2015
  6. I made the disk images with Macrium Reflect. I think I will just keep the latest win 7 images made prior to win10 update for the time being. I will also make win10 image for each of the upgraded computers as well. So far I am quite happy with win10 . I will delete the Win7 images after a month or so .

sportflyer, Dec 14, 2015
  7. As a follow up : I created the Macrium Win PE Recovery image iso and wanted to burn it to my DVD burner when I discovered than after the Win 10 upgrade , windows did not detect my DVD drive *Sad so I temporarily saved the ISO in the computer .

Since I don't use DVD or CD in the computers very often , I did not check for this in my other computers. True enough , all computers with win 10 upgrade did not have DVD drive shown either in Win Explorer or in Device manager. I was frustrated and after a search I found that the easiest way to get the Optical drives recognized is to uninstall the IDE ATA/Atapi drivers for Ch0 and Ch1 then reboot the computer . That did the trick.

sportflyer, Dec 14, 2015
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Can't say I had any problem with the DVD drive not being recognized on W10 but in the mean time you could burn the ISO file to a USB thumb drive (or other external media) using something like Rufus.
    Make sure it's bootable.

Alternatively, you can also add Macrium's Rescue to the boot menu of W10 if you don't mind a slower boot time at start up.

Ciao, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 14, 2015
  9. After I got the DVD to be recognised, I burned the iso to DVD. I think I will also make a bootable thumb drive as backup. Tks

sportflyer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Previous backup Disk images with Win 7 , Keep? - Similar Threads - Previous backup Disk

2. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  3. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  4. Installed win 7 registry backup in win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed win 7 registry backup in win 10: HelloI did something stupid and installed a Windows 7 registry backup to windows 10 and now I can't access anything, command prompt, registry etc. I was messing around with the registry previously to stop antimalware service from running as it was slowing down my system, I...
  5. Win 10 Image BackUp

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Win 10 Image BackUp: Currently I'm running Win 10 on a portable HDD and would like to create an image of it but when I go to "Backup and Restore" window I get the following: This feature is not available in a portable workstation environment. 163658
  6. Win 10 Backup (7)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Backup (7): Hi, I'm getting a message that Backup skipped two files. I checked the paths and they are invalid. Since I cannot drill down to these two locations in File Manager, I wonder how Backup is selecting them, that is, where is Backup getting this information to attempt to...
  7. Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option: Can not backup in win 10 using win 7 backup/restore option the program show a message the media is write protected and the backup abort with error 0x80070013 please advice thanks Cesar Mantilla...
  8. Image Backup - Win 10

Image Backup - Win 10: I may be the first one to do it, or maybe not. But just a reminder to everyone (who did hard installation on SSDs and HDDs). All of us here have just clean installed the Win 10 Tech Preview. If it's running okay now, before you go any further messing it up and before bugs...
  9. Making image backup of Win 10S.

Making image backup of Win 10S.: I contacted Macrium and asked if they would be bringing a uwp app out to image backup Win 10S, and they said it was not possible due to admin restrictions. The only way with 3rd party tools is to backup from a winpse session. Strangely enough, Windows own system image...
  10. Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups

Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups: I have a multi-boot system, XP Pro (32 bit), XP Pro X64 (64 bit), Win 7 Pro (64 bit), Win 10 Pro (64 bit). Each OS is on a separate hard drive and partition. The C: partition is boot only (no operating system on it). I did a system image backup from Win 10 and also from...