Windows 10: Previous laptop died, do I need to sysprep to move HDD to new machine?

Discus and support Previous laptop died, do I need to sysprep to move HDD to new machine? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Saturday night I was working on my Windows 8.1 Dell laptop (about 5 years old) when I heard a "pop" from the back of the laptop and it went dark. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zarberg, Nov 6, 2016.

1. zarberg Win User

Previous laptop died, do I need to sysprep to move HDD to new machine?

Saturday night I was working on my Windows 8.1 Dell laptop (about 5 years old) when I heard a "pop" from the back of the laptop and it went dark. I'm 99% sure it's the system board. I keep regular backups, but had made some changes to some code (one of my jobs at work is heavy-duty scripting) so wanted to get a more recent backup. I popped the 360 GB SSD out and put it in an older desktop, and after some struggles managed to get it to boot and copy everything to my home server, so I have the most recent backup now.At that point, I knew I was going to be ordering new hardware and decided to just play around a little and install Windows 10 on the old desktop with the laptop HDD (note: the only reason I wasn't already on 10 is the laptop was under warranty until just recently and the vendor didn't support it). To my surprise, the installation took a while but seemed to work perfectly; I could see all my installed apps, and it ran pretty smoothly. So with my new hardware on the way, I wanted to ask this:
    Can I just take that HDD out and use it as the boot drive for the new hardware? That would be my preference, as it's got many dozens of programs installed that will take more than a small amount of time to reinstall, plus I'm pretty picky about my OS preferences. This link seems to indicate that I need to make some registry changes before I sysprep, but it also says to just go ahead an pop the new HDD in as Windows 10 is smart enough to just do the driver dance and eventually boot up ok. I don't need to worry about reactivation as it's an Enterprise (MSDN) license.

:)

zarberg, Nov 6, 2016

2. Sound issues in Windows 10

Sorry that solution didn't work either.

I need to know124, Nov 6, 2016
  3. Sound issues in Windows 10

No , it occurs whenever and with whatever I am doing.

I receive no message the sound simply stops.

When the computer originally starts up I hear the sound but 2 - 5 minutes later the sound ends without warning.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C655.

I need to know124, Nov 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You have a backup image saved so it wouldn't hurt to try. Personally, though, I would not have booted the desktop from the laptop's SSD, I would just have installed it is a secondary drive and then pulled the image off of it before booting the desktop from it.

I've moved installations of Windows 10 from computer to computer without any sysprep and it handled it just fine.

NavyLCDR, Nov 6, 2016
  5. zarberg Win User
    Unfortunately the desktop was old enough that it's HDD didn't have enough space to copy the contents over.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

zarberg, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Previous laptop died, do I need to sysprep to move HDD to new machine? - Similar Threads - Previous laptop died

2. My old laptop got rained and died, i need to move my OS hard drive to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My old laptop got rained and died, i need to move my OS hard drive to new laptop: My old laptop got rained and died, i need to move my OS hard drive to new laptop.I have checked the drive using hard drive to USB adaptor and it's OK.But when i plug it to new laptop, booting process failed.It's a BSOD with message: Inaccessible Boot Device.I need is the...
  3. I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help to move data from C drive to new hdd.: Hey everyone, I bought a new HDD and my old HDD is dying. So I want to move my C drive to a empty partition of new HDD so that my new HDD become my boot drive. The problem is I don't know how to do that. I tried to use a software called minitool shadow maker but it wants to...
  4. Need help moving outlook 365 to a new machine

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Need help moving outlook 365 to a new machine: Hi, I've been quite happily running Office 365 Outlook with several email accounts (addresses) on a box running Windows 10 Pro with all files on the local drive for some time. Nothing is in the cloud, which is the way I like it. I just built a new machine and would like to...
  5. "Dying" HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Dying" HDD: So, I have been getting this error at bottom and whenever I boot, I get this error and a beep. I checked with multiple HDD Status programs but they all say just like 5 corrupted/bad sectors but I don't know if that's actually that bad, but when I boot into Windows, and I...
  6. Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD

Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD: Hi all My PC is a 2009 machine, 64 bit with a Phenom II 925 quad processor with a 1TB HD... so very old by PC standards. Instead of buying a new machine I was thinking I would buy a SSD and move the operating system to it as it seems to take an age to boot and use the...
  7. Main HDD died.. can I restore a previous image to the 2nd hard drive in my laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Main HDD died.. can I restore a previous image to the 2nd hard drive in my laptop?: I have a Thinkpad with 2 hard drives. The first one has W10 on it but is stuck in a boot loop and the drive itself is noisy so I’m pretty sure it took a hit at some point. There is a 2nd hdd in the laptop and it is empty. Is it possible to restore an image of the 1st drive...
  8. Moving to New Machine

Moving to New Machine: Greetings, I hope you are all doing as well as possible in these tough times. I am moving to a new machine. I will have 2 installations of Windows on separate partitions. One will be day to day stuff and the other music. The day to day I will reinstall. That's simple....
  9. Need new Laptop Machine.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need new Laptop Machine.: I have an old17" ASUS laptop (Q550 LF) with 18 rams of memory and a SSD Card. Th on/off switch has been going out form some time. The internal battery is about out and I am getting a lot of fan noise so that is not long for the work. This machine runs Microsoft Business 13...
  10. Is this a dying HDD? What to do now?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is this a dying HDD? What to do now?: Hello all! Today, I turned on my PC as always. I was in the room next to the PC, and it striked as odd the Windows startup sound wasn't playing. I came back to check, and a message appeared regarding Analyzing and Repairing my E unit, a secondary drive. This drive was...