Windows 10: Previous Product Key On New Build

Discus and support Previous Product Key On New Build in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently completed a new build and was told that I could use the product key associated to my microsoft account from my previous PC. However, once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rich98fa, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Rich98fa Win User

Previous Product Key On New Build

I recently completed a new build and was told that I could use the product key associated to my microsoft account from my previous PC. However, once windows was installed the key would not activate. I've followed all troubleshooting steps regarding activation in general and activation after significant hardware changes without any progress.

As a side note, the product ID number which I have is different to the one its trying to activate on this PC.

Am I correct in thinking that the only thing I can do is buy another product key?

Thanks in advance
    Richard

:)

Rich98fa, Jan 11, 2019

2. reverting to previous build/version

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue.

• When the computer did froze? Is it when you tried to roll back?
    • Did you receive any error message?
    I suggest you to remove all the external devices plugged in to the computer and check if it helps to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, please restart the computer and check whether it rolled back or not. If it loads Windows 10,
    I suggest you to download the latest ISO of Windows 10 and perform automatic repair.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Steps to perform repair:

a) Insert the installation DVD or USB
    and boot Windows 8 from it.

b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

If you really would like to rollback, I suggest you to refer the below article on How to go back to the previous operating system (Windows 7/8.1) from Windows 10.

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised July 23rd, 2015

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised July 22nd, 2018

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy

to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Previous Product Key On New Build

Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Previous Product Key On New Build

1. Previous Product Key On New Build - Similar Threads - Previous Product Key

2. How to get previous product key if we have used new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to get previous product key if we have used new one: Hello, I am having an issue with product key actually I gave my pc for reset the man in store reset my pc but removed my Windows 10 Home and Student 2016 which had free Microsoft Office and installed windows home single language 2010, Now I need my 2016 version back but am...
  3. How to get previous product key if we have used new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get previous product key if we have used new one: Hello, I am having an issue with product key actually I gave my pc for reset the man in store reset my pc but removed my Windows 10 Home and Student 2016 which had free Microsoft Office and installed windows home single language 2010, Now I need my 2016 version back but am...
  4. How to get previous product key if we have used new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to get previous product key if we have used new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to get previous product key if we have used new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to get previous product key if we have used new one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Regard Product Key Previous Usage

Regard Product Key Previous Usage: 1) I Purchased windows 10 product key from flip kart. Unfortunately product key came from a printed paper. Its not sealed - from Microsoft. That product key is now working which I am using . 2) Now I want to know the key previously/presently used or not of another...
  9. new product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new product key: from 2nd april 2019 a pop-up message is shown in my aspire 315-51_z( windows 10 pro) that was manufactured on july 2018 which says that "your licence will expire on 2nd may 2019".by encoding the message i came to know that i have to get a new product key from my system...
  10. build 10130 product key

build 10130 product key: I installed this version of win 10.... build 10130 and going through the settings I see that it is not activated. Seems it needs a product key.. Does it actually need one? If so, where do i get it? Thanks for all the information. *Wink Now I remember where it came...