Windows 10: Previously open window crashes explorer on startup

Discus and support Previously open window crashes explorer on startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I login to Windows 10, a window opens up and immediately begins to flicker, then hangs. Closing it restarts Windows Explorer, but then 15-30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by epressman0617, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Previously open window crashes explorer on startup

When I login to Windows 10, a window opens up and immediately begins to flicker, then hangs. Closing it restarts Windows Explorer, but then 15-30 seconds later, I lose the ability to open any windows and Explorer hangs again, for good this time. Restarting even after closing this windows opens it up again and begins the cycle. If it helps, the window in question is in Users/>my username</AppData. I had this window open before I restarted originally, and now it won't leave.

I've tried closing this window before it could hang and couldn't do it quickly enough. I tried restarting with shutdown.exe /s /t 0, which was supposed to disable restoration of programs on restart, but didn't affect this window. I've tried restarting in safe mode.

Is there a way to get this to stop? I was wondering if it might be related to the new(ish) windows behavior of restarting programs on startup. Is there a way to disable this behavior entirely? If not, or if this is not a likely culprit, is there some other way to get this window to go away for good and let me open windows again?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

:)

epressman0617, Feb 2, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 2, 2019
  3. Zero Ice Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Feb 2, 2019
  4. jsmin Win User

Previously open window crashes explorer on startup

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

Previously open window crashes explorer on startup

1. Previously open window crashes explorer on startup - Similar Threads - Previously open window

2. Windows Explorer opening twice on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer opening twice on startup: For some reason about 2 weeks ago my PC started opening explorer.exe twice on every startup and it's causing a massive drop in performance, which I've noticed quite a lot in videogames that become unplayable and photoshop that keeps crashing. Even though I can just close it...
  3. Windows Explorer opening twice on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer opening twice on startup: For some reason about 2 weeks ago my PC started opening explorer.exe twice on every startup and it's causing a massive drop in performance, which I've noticed quite a lot in videogames that become unplayable and photoshop that keeps crashing. Even though I can just close it...
  4. Windows explorer crashing on startup + more

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer crashing on startup + more: Hello, I've had this computer for the better part of 2 years now and its only been a month since everything seemed to begin to go wrong. At first I encountered an issue where I booted my computer up and I was welcomed with a black screen and a functional cursor. I thought it...
  5. Windows Explorer crashing on startup

Windows Explorer crashing on startup: Recently I started having an issue where Windows Explorer would crash when starting Windows. The task bar would not load and would only show the Windows button which would not work when clicked on.Sometimes the problem would resolve by restarting the Windows Explorer process...
  6. Explorer crashing on startup

Explorer crashing on startup: Hi, Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit 1909. When Windows starts, explorer crashes every 1 secondish roughly 20 times before it stops crashing and loads properly. I cant find much about it online so hopefully someone can help? I've tried disabling all my startup programs...
  7. Windows Explorer always open on startup.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer always open on startup.: I recently swapped out my motherboard for a newer one. I didn't reinstall Windows 10 on my HDD as I have many apps installed and didn't want to reinstall and reconfigure everything again. It all went smoothly and system runs well all except for one strange issue. On every...
  8. Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup

Windows explorer crashing and restarting continuously on startup: Hello This afternoon I had my laptop standing by itself for maybe half an hour, when I got back to it, it had restarted and now when I log on it gets maybe 2 seconds into starting up whatever programs are set to start up, and then Windows Explorer crashes, the screen goes...
  9. File explorer auto open at startup of windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer auto open at startup of windows: till yesterday everything was ok but today suddenly when I start windows File explorer open automatically without any command, I did restart system thrice but same was happening. How do I remove this auto open of file explorer when I start windows. 37862
  10. File Explorer opens at Windows 10 startup

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer opens at Windows 10 startup: I recently installed the November update on my computer and now the File Explorer runs at every start up. How can I go disable this and go back to normal? 34511