Windows 10: Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM

Discus and support Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I always been buying retail versions of Windows. Right now I have a few licenses from v7/8/8.1 upgraded to W10 and a single new retail license (USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tfwul, Jun 4, 2017.

1. tfwul Win User

Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM

I always been buying retail versions of Windows.
    Right now I have a few licenses from v7/8/8.1 upgraded to W10 and a single new retail license (USB thumbdrive) of Windows 10.

The new retail version I use on my host pc.
    The 'upgraded' versions I have used/installed/uninstalled before on another pc or as VM, but all deactivated.

I have the first/original v7/v8-license keys, but probably they became null and void after they have been upgraded to W10(?)

There is 1 VM running using some 'upgraded' license key.
    I'd like to create a new, 2nd, VM, using another key.

Here is the problem:
    Frankly, I have no idea how to proceed.
    I may install CU version from USB (media creation tool), but likely at one point in time I may need to enter a key.
    However, I don't know which key has been used for the existing VM, i.e. which of the remaining upgraded keys are 'free' to use.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed. Is this a kind of trial and error and see which key is accepted?

Thanks
    =

:)

tfwul, Jun 4, 2017
  2. Dr.Forbin Win User

Transfer win 10 license

Little confusing here - I'm burning a Win 10 license on a VM on my laptop now. I want to repurpose the license from this VM to a new brand new VM that I plan on building by importing my daughters desktop. I want to keep her desktop live - so I need to
    re-use the license. Problem is - I don't know if I have the original product key that I used to activate this VM. I know I can free the activation from this VM - but how do I reactivate under a fresh VM w/o the product key. Thanks....

Dr.Forbin, Jun 4, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can I use Windows 10 VM (legal license) on two different Hosts (VirtualBox)?

I know that a VM is considered like a physical computer and requires its own license, but I hadn't previously considered what happens when you move a VM to another computer. It seems logical that you can't have the same VM licensed on two computers. But
    can you move a VM from one computer to another while maintaining the VM's license?

BulldogXX, Jun 4, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Original keys always remain valid.

You can still activate Windows 10 with 7/8 keys.

So just install and use any key - it may object key is in use, if so try next one.

Once it works, make note of key and which vm.

cereberus, Jun 4, 2017
  5. tfwul Win User
    Many thanks indeed! Truly appreciate the quick feedback.
    Windows is now installing in VM in the background using a Windows 8 key.
    Again, thanks!
    =

tfwul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM - Similar Threads - Previously used license

2. Upgrade to Win10 using previous upgrade key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Win10 using previous upgrade key: I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 2 years ago when MSoft was giving out free upgrade keys. Used Win 10 for 6 months and then my PC was bricked by a May 2017 update which necessitated recovering back to Windows 7. I still have that key on the PC. Can I use it to upgrade the...
  3. Query which key to use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Query which key to use: I have used Showkey Plus to find the key to my laptop but am confused as to which of the keys I should use if ever I have to replace the harddrive. IE I have one key that is titled the installed key and one that is called the OEM key can anyone please advise me of which one...
  4. Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?

Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?: Hello everyone, I would like to ask which license do I need to use if: I have a VM with 8 cores. On this VM I run 4 Docker containers from 1 Docker image with Windows 10 VM. This is necessary to run tests on MS IE/Edge. Schema is: Big VM (8 cores) -> Docker container...
  5. Using License Key from a Formatted Laptop

Using License Key from a Formatted Laptop: Hi, I've finished building a desktop and will sell my laptop. If I completely format my laptop that has my windows 10 on it, can I use that laptop's windows 10 license key to activate windows 10 on my desktop?...
  6. product key contains a Z which cannot be used

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    product key contains a Z which cannot be used: product key contains a Z which cannot be used https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-contains-a-z-which-cannot-be-used/4766cd55-cff6-456c-9073-66388cf7e244
  7. Which key should I use?

Which key should I use?: Hi! I have Samsung laptop that came with preinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). I have COA sticker on bottom of my device too. I use ProduKey to check my Windows 7 key but it doesn't match to my key on COA sticker. Furthermore I checked this key from ProduKey in...
  8. Which one of these apps are useful and i should not remove?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which one of these apps are useful and i should not remove?: Hello guys. I am preparing a windows 10 ISO by using MSMG ToolKit v7.1​ I havent used windows 10 yet so i dont know some of these apps and what they do Here what i am planning and my questions. Do you think i should chance any of the below decisions? [A] Microsoft...
  9. Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation?

Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation?: Is there a way to find out which key was used for activation? I have done testing with insider programs. I also tested this with my windows 7 oem install, I rolled the oem back to windows 7. I also used a windows 7 retail version to also upgrade to windows 10. This way I...
  10. 20574 DLLs, which ones are used?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    20574 DLLs, which ones are used?: Anyone know how to check if a DLL has its APP installed or if it's just left over after the APP was removed to help me clean up the HDD. They range in size from 0 bytes to 73 MB. Ron Windows 10 P.S. Please don't tell me I have to check each one manually!*cry 92287