Windows 10: Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM

Discus and support Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I always been buying retail versions of Windows. Right now I have a few licenses from v7/8/8.1 upgraded to W10 and a single new retail license (USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tfwul, Jun 4, 2017.

1. tfwul Win User

Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM

I always been buying retail versions of Windows.
    Right now I have a few licenses from v7/8/8.1 upgraded to W10 and a single new retail license (USB thumbdrive) of Windows 10.

The new retail version I use on my host pc.
    The 'upgraded' versions I have used/installed/uninstalled before on another pc or as VM, but all deactivated.

I have the first/original v7/v8-license keys, but probably they became null and void after they have been upgraded to W10(?)

There is 1 VM running using some 'upgraded' license key.
    I'd like to create a new, 2nd, VM, using another key.

Here is the problem:
    Frankly, I have no idea how to proceed.
    I may install CU version from USB (media creation tool), but likely at one point in time I may need to enter a key.
    However, I don't know which key has been used for the existing VM, i.e. which of the remaining upgraded keys are 'free' to use.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed. Is this a kind of trial and error and see which key is accepted?

Thanks
    =

:)

tfwul, Jun 4, 2017
  2. Dr.Forbin Win User

Transfer win 10 license

Little confusing here - I'm burning a Win 10 license on a VM on my laptop now. I want to repurpose the license from this VM to a new brand new VM that I plan on building by importing my daughters desktop. I want to keep her desktop live - so I need to
    re-use the license. Problem is - I don't know if I have the original product key that I used to activate this VM. I know I can free the activation from this VM - but how do I reactivate under a fresh VM w/o the product key. Thanks....

Dr.Forbin, Jun 4, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can I use Windows 10 VM (legal license) on two different Hosts (VirtualBox)?

I know that a VM is considered like a physical computer and requires its own license, but I hadn't previously considered what happens when you move a VM to another computer. It seems logical that you can't have the same VM licensed on two computers. But
    can you move a VM from one computer to another while maintaining the VM's license?

BulldogXX, Jun 4, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Original keys always remain valid.

You can still activate Windows 10 with 7/8 keys.

So just install and use any key - it may object key is in use, if so try next one.

Once it works, make note of key and which vm.

cereberus, Jun 4, 2017
  5. tfwul Win User
    Many thanks indeed! Truly appreciate the quick feedback.
    Windows is now installing in VM in the background using a Windows 8 key.
    Again, thanks!
    =

tfwul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Previously used license keys, which one to re-use for a VM - Similar Threads - Previously used license

2. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?: I currently have a Linux distro on my PC, and I want to install windowsI used to have Windows as my main os on it.Just wanted to ask if there is any way to tie the oem license to the vm?If not, is there something else I can do without the risk of losing the ability to use...
  3. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?: I currently have a Linux distro on my PC, and I want to install windowsI used to have Windows as my main os on it.Just wanted to ask if there is any way to tie the oem license to the vm?If not, is there something else I can do without the risk of losing the ability to use...
  4. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Re-using Windows 10 License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-using Windows 10 License: Hi,I bought a new laptop. It's Matebook 14. It has come with Windows 10 Home OS. So, I didn't need to buy a new one.I'm currently using this OS but probably I'll change it into Ubuntu. Maybe I can make dual OS. Anyway, I need to know.. Let's say I installed Ubuntu over...
  6. Re-using Windows 10 License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-using Windows 10 License: Hi,I bought a new laptop. It's Matebook 14. It has come with Windows 10 Home OS. So, I didn't need to buy a new one.I'm currently using this OS but probably I'll change it into Ubuntu. Maybe I can make dual OS. Anyway, I need to know.. Let's say I installed Ubuntu over...
  7. Windows 10 License Re-use

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 License Re-use: Hello, I want to ask a question regarding Windows License/Product Key Re-use. So, when I bought my current Laptop, it also included an original Windows 10 Home OS in it. Now, I want to buy a new PC, and I want to know, can I re-use my Laptop Windows 10 License for my PC?...
  8. Product key re-use

Product key re-use: I want to use my current product key which is from a laptop I bought from a store, and move it on to a new custom built pc, will the old laptop stop working because I want to give it to a family member...
  9. Re-use of Win 10 Pro License Key

Re-use of Win 10 Pro License Key: I was just wondering, in case my pc comes to a point that reformatting my desktop was the only option, and re install Windows 10 Pro, can I still use the same license key?...
  10. Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?

Which windows license do I need to use on a VM?: Hello everyone, I would like to ask which license do I need to use if: I have a VM with 8 cores. On this VM I run 4 Docker containers from 1 Docker image with Windows 10 VM. This is necessary to run tests on MS IE/Edge. Schema is: Big VM (8 cores) -> Docker container...