Windows 10: Primary monitor going black with only bottom 2 mm showing the start line. 2nd monitor is fine.

Discus and support Primary monitor going black with only bottom 2 mm showing the start line. 2nd monitor is fine. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This happens at random. Sometimes just after logging in. Other times after some minutes. Sometimes hours. Most often somewhat quickly though. Startmenu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Joyzer, Jan 20, 2021.

1. /u/Joyzer Win User

Primary monitor going black with only bottom 2 mm showing the start line. 2nd monitor is fine.

This happens at random. Sometimes just after logging in. Other times after some minutes. Sometimes hours. Most often somewhat quickly though.
    Startmenu shows and when hovering mouse over open apps they show up on the primary monitor.
    Ryzen 3900,
    ASUS ROG F x570
    EVGA 2070 Super.

Halp! Plz Primary monitor going black with only bottom 2 mm showing the start line. 2nd monitor is fine. :)

submitted by /u/Joyzer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Joyzer, Jan 20, 2021
  2. JD Meyer Win User

Color Display on 2nd monitor

I am using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a 2nd monitor which has been working fine. For some unknown reason I have suddenly lost the full color range on the 2nd monitor. I don't know if I have changed some setting by accident or what. I have tried
    resetting the defaults but that didn't change anything on the 2nd monitor. The primary screen on the laptop continues to work fine. Any suggestions what needs to be done to restore the full color range on monitor #2?

JD Meyer, Jan 20, 2021
  3. Primary Monitor goes black

I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 graphics cards in SLI and 2 monitors (a Dell connected via DVI and a Samsung connected via a DVI->HDMI -> HDMI mini) About a month ago after the Windows Feature Pack update, I started having issues with my monitors. When
    only one is plugged in they work fine, so I know there isn't an issue with the cables. When I plug in the 2nd monitor, it works, but the primary screen goes black. If I open any programs, the still open on the primary screen and I have to use Windows + <Left
    or Right> to move it from the primary monitor to the secondary monitor. If I open the display settings, and switch which monitor is marked as primary, it disconnects both monitors, then brings them both back on, and both display properly. But the primary
    goes black again when my computer goes to sleep or is restarted. I have confirmed installed the latest NVIDIA driver this afternoon, and I still have this issue. I have tried the following:

- changing which ports/graphics cards each monitor is plugged into

- confirmed the Dell monitor's drivers are up to date (the Samsung is a generic PnP)

- uninstalled the Display Adapters completely (it switched to using the default windows driver, but still didn't work)

- unplugged the computer and the monitors for 5 minutes then reconnected them

- scanned my computer for corrupt files using sfc /scannow

Any help you be greatly appreciated, as it is very annoying to have to guess that I'm logging in, and then switch my main display every time I want to use my computer.

CodyTaylor1, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Primary monitor going black with only bottom 2 mm showing the start line. 2nd monitor is fine.

Primary Monitor goes black

I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried
    doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve the issue this time. I also confirmed that my NVIDIA drivers are up to date as well (I installed them yesterday).

I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 graphics cards in SLI and 2 monitors (a Dell connected via DVI and a Samsung connected via a DVI->HDMI -> HDMI mini) About a month ago after the Windows Feature Pack update, I started having issues with my monitors. When
    only one is plugged in they work fine, so I know there isn't an issue with the cables. When I plug in the 2nd monitor, it works, but the primary screen goes black. If I open any programs, the still open on the primary screen and I have to use Windows + <Left
    or Right> to move it from the primary monitor to the secondary monitor. If I open the display settings, and switch which monitor is marked as primary, it disconnects both monitors, then brings them both back on, and both display properly. But the primary
    goes black again when my computer goes to sleep or is restarted. I have confirmed installed the latest NVIDIA driver this afternoon, and I still have this issue. I have tried the following:

- changing which ports/graphics cards each monitor is plugged into

- confirmed the Dell monitor's drivers are up to date (the Samsung is a generic PnP)

- uninstalled the Display Adapters completely (it switched to using the default windows driver, but still didn't work)

- unplugged the computer and the monitors for 5 minutes then reconnected them

- scanned my computer for corrupt files using sfc /scannow

Any help you be greatly appreciated, as it is very annoying to have to guess that I'm logging in, and then switch my main display every time I want to use my computer.

Cody Taylor (tcjohn), Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Primary monitor going black with only bottom 2 mm showing the start line. 2nd monitor is fine.

1. Primary monitor going black with only bottom 2 mm showing the start line. 2nd monitor is fine. - Similar Threads - Primary monitor going

2. Green lines on the bottom of the monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Green lines on the bottom of the monitor: I was just using my pc as usually and those green lines began to appear for 30-40 seconds. Sometimes they are and sometimes they're not https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/green-lines-on-the-bottom-of-the-monitor/32577c6f-3d9a-48bb-bb72-9bee3d35945b
  3. Green lines on the bottom of the monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Green lines on the bottom of the monitor: I was just using my pc as usually and those green lines began to appear for 30-40 seconds. Sometimes they are and sometimes they're not https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/green-lines-on-the-bottom-of-the-monitor/32577c6f-3d9a-48bb-bb72-9bee3d35945b
  4. Green lines on the bottom of the monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Monitor breifly going black while 2nd monitor running?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor breifly going black while 2nd monitor running?: I have 2 monitors running in my setup, one on HDMI 2.1 and the other on displayport 1.4. the HDMI one is recognized by windows as the 2nd monitor, but I've set it to be the main monitor I use.The problem comes, whenever I have something like a video playing or something else...
  6. Monitor breifly going black while 2nd monitor running?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor breifly going black while 2nd monitor running?: I have 2 monitors running in my setup, one on HDMI 2.1 and the other on displayport 1.4. the HDMI one is recognized by windows as the 2nd monitor, but I've set it to be the main monitor I use.The problem comes, whenever I have something like a video playing or something else...
  7. Lines at bottom of monitor on startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lines at bottom of monitor on startup: So recently when I power on my pc when it gets to the lock screen there is a line at the very bottom not big just thin line of green grey white and blue, not sure what it is or if its something to worry about but rather fix it before it gets worse. The line goes away after...
  8. Primary Monitor goes black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary Monitor goes black: I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve...
  9. 2 Monitor up with Laptop - cutoff 2nd Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2 Monitor up with Laptop - cutoff 2nd Monitor: Hi, I have a new set-up with my laptop and 2 monitors/screens. I have managed to get everything working although the right monito is cut-off where I can only see half the taskbar. The view on my laptop is fine, although I keep it closed and just use the two monitors. Both...
  10. black lines with 2 monitors on extended displays

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    black lines with 2 monitors on extended displays: This issue is almost driving me crazy! People where I work use 2 monitors used as extended displays. All the extended displays work fine on Windows 7, but when I upgrade or redo the PC with Windows 10, black lines are on the monitor(s). Sometimes the lines are thin and in...