Windows 10: Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

Discus and support Primary monitor keeps disappearing! in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by geek 0001, Oct 29, 2021.

1. geek 0001 Win User

Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary monitor, and an HDMI to VGA adaptor to run the second screen.

The problem is that any time the PC goes into power saving mode, and also sometimes on startup, I lose the Dislayport to HDMI monitor, and I have to unplug it and plug it back in again. I have tried doing this with a Displayport to VGA, and just plugging the other monitor into the...

Read more

geek 0001, Oct 29, 2021

2. How to auto-hide taskbar of the second monitor keeping unhide in the primary monitor?

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below to auto-hide taskbar on second monitor and check if it helps:

Steps:

1. Right click on the taskbar and select
    Properties.

2. In the Taskbar tab under
    Multiple displays, Uncheck the Show taskbar on all displays box.

3. Click on Apply
    and Ok.

This will display the taskbar only on the primary monitor.

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Oct 29, 2021
  3. Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Oct 29, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

How to make external monitor as primary monitor?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to make the external monitor connected to the laptop as a primary display and do not want to mirror the laptop display.

We would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + P, and select
      Extend.
    2. Now, press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on System, and select
      Display
      on the left pane.
    4. Now, under Rearrange your displays, click on Identify to
      Identify the displays.
    5. Click on the display number that is for external monitor.
    6. Scroll down, and click on the checkbox for
      Make this my main display.

Refer the screenshots below:

Identify and select Display:

Primary monitor keeps disappearing! 011e4133-69c0-4702-8fd5-668b7efa16bb?upload=true.png

Select Primary display:

Primary monitor keeps disappearing! 2aee1086-e3a9-454e-96b5-5fc599d2efbc?upload=true.png

For additional information, see
    Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 29, 2021
Thema:

1. Primary monitor keeps disappearing! - Similar Threads - Primary monitor keeps

2. Primary monitor keeps disappearing!

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Primary monitor keeps disappearing!: My primary monitor only supports HDMI input, and my second monitor is VGA only. I am currently using a Displayport to HDMI adapter to run my primary monitor, and an HDMI to VGA adaptor to run the second screen. The problem is that any time the PC goes into power saving mode,...
  3. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  4. Multiple Monitor / TV as primary

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Monitor / TV as primary: So I use a tv as my primary monitor, but coming out of hibernate (with other monitors off) my windows often migrate to one of my powered-off displays. Any suggestions for constraining this kind of behavior from the OS? submitted by /u/GrayscaleUnicorn [link] [comments]...
  5. Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor: Hi, I have two monitors. On the first I watch videos in full screen and play games. On the second I tend to leave browsers open with pages or YouTube videos. So I unlock and drag the taskbar to the secondary display so I can see the clock and notification area while gaming....
  6. Icons to primary monitor

Icons to primary monitor: I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once...
  7. Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor

Main taskbar keeps coming back to primary monitor: Hi, I have two monitors. On the first I watch videos in full screen and play games. On the second I tend to leave browsers open with pages or YouTube videos. So I unlock and drag the taskbar to the secondary display so I can see the clock and notification area while gaming....
  8. Picture keeps disappearing off monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Picture keeps disappearing off monitor: I have a PC running Windows 10. I put my 40 inch Philips monitor on it the other day. However, the next day when I turned the computer on the monitor didn't seem to come on. The little blue light was flashing so I knew there was power going to the monitor. I had to really...
  9. Primary Monitor goes black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary Monitor goes black: I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve...
  10. Taskbar keeps moving back to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar keeps moving back to primary monitor: Pretty much as the title says. My task bar is locked and located on the right-hand side of my second monitor. Occasionally I'll go for it and realize that it is now located on the right-hand side of my primary monitor. Most recently this happened after bringing my computer...