Windows 10: Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update

Discus and support Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, After installing the latest Windows Update, Windows says that my primary monitor is not "active." It is still detected, but the display is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by insert name here1500, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update

Hello,

After installing the latest Windows Update, Windows says that my primary monitor is not "active." It is still detected, but the display is just black.

Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update d5e082e9-8d08-4477-82d7-ec331b7be95a?upload=true.png Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update 4465fc4c-79f7-40fb-8cdf-2ee19fc362c4?upload=true.png Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update 5c4cabb0-f549-4bb2-953b-db32c91163f8?upload=true.png
    I can still select monitor 1, but I cannot make any changes to its settings.

Thanks

:)

insert name here1500, Nov 13, 2019

2. My second monitor quit working after the latest update with Windows 10

Hi Jenny,

Your monitors may not be compatible with the latest update and causing this issue. Please tell us more about it by answering the following questions:

• What is exactly happening with your monitor?
    • When was the latest update installed?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, Nov 13, 2019
  3. Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 13, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update

How to make external monitor as primary monitor?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to make the external monitor connected to the laptop as a primary display and do not want to mirror the laptop display.

We would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + P, and select
      Extend.
    2. Now, press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on System, and select
      Display
      on the left pane.
    4. Now, under Rearrange your displays, click on Identify to
      Identify the displays.
    5. Click on the display number that is for external monitor.
    6. Scroll down, and click on the checkbox for
      Make this my main display.

Refer the screenshots below:

Identify and select Display:

Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update 011e4133-69c0-4702-8fd5-668b7efa16bb?upload=true.png

Select Primary display:

Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update 2aee1086-e3a9-454e-96b5-5fc599d2efbc?upload=true.png

For additional information, see
    Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update

1. Primary Monitor not active after latest Windows Update - Similar Threads - Primary Monitor active

2. External monitor not detected after latest insider update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not detected after latest insider update.: I update my windows 11, but after the update, my external monitor is not being detected. Since I'm on Windows 11 Insider plan, I cannot get support from a windows agent. Does anyone know how to solve the problem? FYI, I have updated the device drivers and display drivers, and...
  3. External monitor not detected after latest insider update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor not detected after latest insider update.: I update my windows 11, but after the update, my external monitor is not being detected. Since I'm on Windows 11 Insider plan, I cannot get support from a windows agent. Does anyone know how to solve the problem? FYI, I have updated the device drivers and display drivers, and...
  4. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  5. Activation of the latest Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation of the latest Windows 10 update: I bought the latest Windows 10 update from the Microsoft online store $A169 and installed it, but it won't activate. It gives me error 0xC004C003. Do I have to buy a new license as well?...
  6. Windows 10 require activation after latest OS update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 require activation after latest OS update: After the latest Windows update, my device which I bought with a genuine Windows license more than a year ago suddenly requires Windows activation. I try troubleshooting and using the command prompt to find my product key but to no avail. The error code 0xC004F012. Has anyone...
  7. Icons to primary monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons to primary monitor: I added a monitor to my tv/monitor for a dual screen setup. Windows automatically made the pc monitor the main screen and moved all my icons there. I want the tv as main so I changed it and the icons moved automatically. I decided I didn't like the tv as the main and once...
  8. dual monitor not working after latest update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dual monitor not working after latest update: my laptop is not picking up the dual monitor after last nights windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-monitor-not-working-after-latest-update/07c08b35-2ee3-4f46-844d-eafd39803c43
  9. primary monitor stopped working after Windows update. All the fixes rely on the primary...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    primary monitor stopped working after Windows update. All the fixes rely on the primary...: I update Windows 10. My primary monitor stopped working. I look for solutions, and they all assume that the primary monitor works. E.g. opening Device Manager - well it opens on my primary monitor and I can't see it....
  10. Windows 10 is not activated after latest update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 is not activated after latest update: I bought Windows 8.1 Pro and updated my laptop to Windows 10 since 2015. Recently, it started to warn me to activate the windows. I tried to activate and change key using old windows 8.1 key but it doesn't work. Please help ! [ATTACH]...