Windows 10: primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle

Discus and support primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ever since I hooked up my second monitor my Primary monitor will no longer turn off during power save / idle not sleep just idling. my second monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Tylermateen, Mar 29, 2022.

1. primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle

Ever since I hooked up my second monitor my Primary monitor will no longer turn off during power save / idle not sleep just idling. my second monitor will turn off and go black but my primary monitor will go black for a second but then display a black screen with the backlight still on. before I had my second monitor it would turn off during power save just fine, and I didn't change any of the cables or ports when I got my second monitor. anyone know a way to fix this so my primary will sleep, or maybe even switch the problem to my second monitor. also forgot to say that when i shut my pc of

:)

Tylermateen, Mar 29, 2022
  2. Cliffy-HC Win User

Monitors go into auto power save mode and wont wake up

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have no idea why the computer monitors go into power saving mode. The computer doesn't. I can be browsing the internet (or even playing CandyCrush haha) more or less right after booting up and the monitors go to sleep. I
    can not wake them up. I have to turn the PC off and back on again. Not so good if I am doing some work.

Making any changes as you suggest above don't seem to do anything, there is only the mouse, keyboard and "NVIDIA nForce networking controller" listed.

Cliffy-HC, Mar 29, 2022
  3. Jonas Flo Win User
    Bluetooth still on while idle

Thanks for following the steps. Now, the settings won't take effect if you are only using normal PC idle mode. Normal functionality of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are to stay connected even if PC is idle. With the settings that you have created, we would
    suggest that you set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or
    Hibernate
    once idle. In this way, the settings "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should take effect.

To set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or Hibernate when idle, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel, set view by: Small
      icons.
    • Look for Power Options.
    • Click on Change when the computer sleeps on the left pane.
    • Set a timer.

Please try it out. Hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Mar 29, 2022
  4. primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle

Primary Monitor goes black

I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried
    doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve the issue this time. I also confirmed that my NVIDIA drivers are up to date as well (I installed them yesterday).

I have 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 graphics cards in SLI and 2 monitors (a Dell connected via DVI and a Samsung connected via a DVI->HDMI -> HDMI mini) About a month ago after the Windows Feature Pack update, I started having issues with my monitors. When
    only one is plugged in they work fine, so I know there isn't an issue with the cables. When I plug in the 2nd monitor, it works, but the primary screen goes black. If I open any programs, the still open on the primary screen and I have to use Windows + <Left
    or Right> to move it from the primary monitor to the secondary monitor. If I open the display settings, and switch which monitor is marked as primary, it disconnects both monitors, then brings them both back on, and both display properly. But the primary
    goes black again when my computer goes to sleep or is restarted. I have confirmed installed the latest NVIDIA driver this afternoon, and I still have this issue. I have tried the following:

- changing which ports/graphics cards each monitor is plugged into

- confirmed the Dell monitor's drivers are up to date (the Samsung is a generic PnP)

- uninstalled the Display Adapters completely (it switched to using the default windows driver, but still didn't work)

- unplugged the computer and the monitors for 5 minutes then reconnected them

- scanned my computer for corrupt files using sfc /scannow

Any help you be greatly appreciated, as it is very annoying to have to guess that I'm logging in, and then switch my main display every time I want to use my computer.

Cody Taylor (tcjohn), Mar 29, 2022
Thema:

primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle

1. primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle - Similar Threads - primary monitor wont

2. Wont go to sleep when choosing Power > Sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wont go to sleep when choosing Power > Sleep or closing the lid: It is terribly annoying and even dangerous: Very often, my Thinkpad T14s with Windows 10 does not go to sleep if I close the lid or explicitly tell it to by Choosing > Power > Sleep. I’m afraid it might get damaged by overheating when I put in my bag without noticing that...
  3. Wont go to sleep when choosing Power > Sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wont go to sleep when choosing Power > Sleep or closing the lid: It is terribly annoying and even dangerous: Very often, my Thinkpad T14s with Windows 10 does not go to sleep if I close the lid or explicitly tell it to by Choosing > Power > Sleep. I’m afraid it might get damaged by overheating when I put in my bag without noticing that...
  4. Wont go to sleep when choosing Power > Sleep or closing the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle: Ever since I hooked up my second monitor my Primary monitor will no longer turn off during power save / idle not sleep just idling. my second monitor will turn off and go black but my primary monitor will go black for a second but then display a black screen with the...
  6. primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    primary monitor wont sleep / go black during power save idle: Ever since I hooked up my second monitor my Primary monitor will no longer turn off during power save / idle not sleep just idling. my second monitor will turn off and go black but my primary monitor will go black for a second but then display a black screen with the...
  7. pc wont go idle

pc wont go idle: I have had a consistent issue with my pc not going idle. I frequently run cmd on powercfg /requests and almost everytime nothing shows up to be taking power however it still wont go idle. C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: None. AWAYMODE: None....
  8. Monitor not going to sleep after powering up the computer

Monitor not going to sleep after powering up the computer: Hello everyone. Quite often I start my computer at work remotely using the WakeOnLan functionality. After such start, the login screen appears and the monitor is turned on. Until I log in to windows, the monitor will not go to sleep and it remains constantly on. Is...
  9. Monitor going into power save mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor going into power save mode: I've been having a problem with my computer going into power save mode. Sometimes I can use the PC for hours and sometimes it will happen within minutes, it will give me a black screen on the monitor telling me it is about to go into power save mode. The PC is still running...
  10. Primary Monitor goes black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Primary Monitor goes black: I posted this same exact question in January. I was able to get it resolved by performing an In-Place upgrade, as suggested. That worked, until about a week ago. Now I am having the same exact issue again. I tried doing an In-Place upgrade again, and it did not resolve...