Windows 10: Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU

Discus and support Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I would leave well enough alone, you score good in benchmarks. No need to stress the system with P95 as you will never see a load like that in real... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ICIT2LOL, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU

Ok, thanks. Funny how all these stress tests all act different on the same system. Realbench, for example will freeze when I'm OC'd, or totally screw up my system times when set to default(4.0GHz with one core @ 4.2GHz turbo boost) and Aida64 works normally.

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  2. Cliff S New Member

I just found this in the undoc.txt file that comes with the program. It might be worth trying:
    Local text for mine:
    Time to fix it I guess!

And the moral of this story, four letters:
    RTFM

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  3. Cliff S New Member
    Nope! didn't work either*Sad

CpuSpeed=4900
    NumCPUs=4
    CpuNumHyperthreads=2

NewCpuSpeedCount=0
    RollingAverage=1000
    RollingAverageIsFromV27=1
    ComputerGUID=7291f56af91dd756130b8a059d9d998b
    OldCpuSpeed=4900
    NewCpuSpeed=4900

Still forcing 4.0 to 4.4GHz*Banghead

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

The program see's my 4.9

Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU [​IMG]

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    [review & conclusion]

Ok the benchmark in P95 ran at 4.9, well actually fluctuated between 4.4 and 4.9GHz.

But in my search for a possible/plausible answer, I have found out, even though P95 stresses the hardware, it's test are all about data integrity to the nth power, specifically finding prime numbers which are, among other things used in RSA Encryption:
    (which you shouldn't use too large of one) PSA: Do Not Use the New Prime Number for RSA Encryption - Scientific American Blog Network
    GIMPS History - PrimeNet

From the readme.txt
    So basically, even though P95 refuses to use my full overclock, in passing the test, I know at least my OC'd system is computing it's data correctly.

If I want to test for heat, voltage, speed, and throttling, get BSODS and then back off, crash or freeze Windows, there are myriads of other benchmarking software and stress test out there.
    (/review & conclusion]

Cliff S, Mar 11, 2017
  6. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Cliff a quick query a bit OT but curious - I see you have a (to me) conservative PSU installed and as I am planning a build hopefully soon I am wondering if that PSU is up to scratch with what you are doing. Now I have to say I don't really understand the ins and outs of OC and don't intend doing again with this build and am just having the i7 - 6700 instead of an unlocked CPU.
    My first thoughts when looking at PSU's was to go for the Corsair CS 750M Modular 80 Plus Gold but if you find the one that you have is suffice then I could reconsider my options and save some dollars.

Again sorry for wandering OT
    John*Cool

ICIT2LOL, Mar 11, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I bought mine pre built from HYRICAN.
    But, for my work station it's more than enough, as my Z17A PC Mate only features six phases for CPU power delivery, which is far less compared to other Z170 motherboards..

Check this out at Anandtech:
    Debunking Power Supply Myths

Also here is a short & sweet video:
    [youtube]LFx26E_DBUY[/youtube]

Cliff S, Mar 11, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Thanks Cliff that YouTube was very interesting and I didn't know for example Coolermaster had a calculator I have always used the Extreme one.

Well as a simple general user I can now think about downgrading the watts to say 450 or 500 seeing that i don't game or fill the case with GPU's*Wink

Plus I had forgotten all about JohnnyGuru *Redface - oops!

Now all I have to do is to pick a good quality one and as I am a fan of Corsair that's where I'll head to*Cool

Many thanks again
    John*Smile

ICIT2LOL, Mar 12, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Your welcome*Smile
    Just don't buy a "cheapy"(generic) one. < very dangerous!

Also you might want to take into account the color of where it's going, and the highlight color of your rig.
    Where the fan on the PSU is in comparison to any outtake fans or vents on your system, for better cooling.
    Try to get 80+ gold or platinum(bronze came with mine PC) to save money in the long run, by being more energy efficient: 80 Plus - Wikipedia

Cliff S, Mar 12, 2017
  10. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep Cliff I have always bought Corsair PSU's anyway and the Corsair CS550M Modular 80 Plus Gold or even the smaller CS450M looks about the right size for me with a bit of overkill in case I fit more than a single GPU and sound card in it.

I used that Coolermaster calculator and it pulled up 200W for what I had typed in but that was just very basic components.

Yep I intend getting a case with a decent window this time but the case I really like the Coolermaster HAF XM (usd in my last build) is no longer available out here

As well I did years ago read a lot of Scott Muellers books when I was starting into builds and fixes and he was a real protagonist of having a a good PSU*Wink

ICIT2LOL, Mar 13, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Prime95 version 29.1 build 14 is available: Prime95 version 29.1 - mersenneforum.org

This version is not heavily tested - consider it a beta version. Bug reports welcome!

Cliff S, Mar 26, 2017
  12. Cliff S New Member
    If anyone wants, you can try the latest beta for Prime95(only 64bit)
    Prime95 version 29.2 build 2 : mersenneforum.org - View Single Post - Prime95 version 29.2

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU - Similar Threads - Prime95 Stress Test

2. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU: So, about a year ago or so my computer started crashing with BSOD errors. I believe it wasn't until after windows 11 update that these errors started to happen more regularly. It used to only happen when I would play certain video games, but now it happens during downloads,...
  3. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU: So, about a year ago or so my computer started crashing with BSOD errors. I believe it wasn't until after windows 11 update that these errors started to happen more regularly. It used to only happen when I would play certain video games, but now it happens during downloads,...
  4. Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU: My computer crashes and I get the BSOD stating clock watchdog timeout after freezing when doing a stress test on my CPU - ram tests ok. I have checked the PSU - bought a new one and cooling and used different ram as well. All to no avail....
  5. Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU: My computer crashes and I get the BSOD stating clock watchdog timeout after freezing when doing a stress test on my CPU - ram tests ok. I have checked the PSU - bought a new one and cooling and used different ram as well. All to no avail....
  6. Cpu not turbo boosting while stress testing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cpu not turbo boosting while stress testing: hi,so i have discovered this problem while i was playing game and what it does is when my cpu utilization reaches 100% the speed of the processor gets limited to its base speed which in my case is 2.4GHz And when the cpu utilization is low(idle or doing some normal stuff...
  7. Stress Testing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stress Testing: How can this happen to such an important and highly visible update? Was the update not thoroughly tested prior to release? I have a banking IT Audit background and am surprised this was not caught, because I would think this would be obvious during testing. Thanks....
  8. Shutdowns and freezes when testing with prime95

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutdowns and freezes when testing with prime95: I've had more issues than I can count with this PC. Most recently I had a month long issue which was eventually fixed by lowering the vCore on my CPU by 0.1. I wasn't overclocking but the automatic settings in the BIOS let it creep over 1.5v (fx-8350). I went from constant...
  9. Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?: Hi all,Over this weekend I've been testing my RAM modules due to a request I got from technical support. I use Private Internet Access VPN and if I leave my VPN running for 24 hours, at some point its process will get killed. The support told me that I probably have a...
  10. FurMark - GPU Stress Test

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    FurMark - GPU Stress Test: How to: FurMark - GPU Stress Test FurMark - GPU Stress Test [img] Information Furmark is an intensive OpenGL benchmark that uses fur rendering algorithms to measure the performance of the graphics card. BSOD analysts will recommend you use Furmark to test the...