Windows 10: Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU

Discus and support Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU Prime95 is a freeware program originally designed to find new Mersenne... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ICIT2LOL, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU

How to: Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU

Prime95
    is a freeware program originally designed to find new Mersenne prime numbers. Given the nature of Prime95 it is now widely used as a CPU stress testing utility to gauge the stability of a CPU, especially when overclocking a system. It includes a Torture Test designed specifically to test PC subsystems for errors.

Prime95's stress test feature can be configured to test various system components by changing the FFT size. There are three pre-set configurations available:

• Small FFTs (Primarily tests FPU and CPU caches)
    • In-Place FFTs (Maximum power consumption; tests FPU and CPU caches, some RAM)
    • Blend (Tests everything including RAM)
    On a completely stable system Prime95 will run indefinitely. If an error occurs the stress test will terminate indicating the system may be unstable.

Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU [​IMG]
    Warning
    While running Prime95 your CPU will become incredibly hot, it is imperative that you keep a constant watch of your CPU temperature with a system monitoring utility such as stop the Prime95 stress test to prevent inflicting damage on your CPU.

Note
    Run Prime95 for up to three hours, unless errors occur sooner. Depending on temperatures feel fee to run the test for longer to thoroughly test overclock or system stability

Here's how:

1: Download the relevant version of Prime95 for your system.

2: Extract the zipped folder.

3: Open the extracted folder and click on the prime95.exe.

4:
    When Prime95 launches click on the Just Stress Testing button.

5: Select Small FFTs (or whichever specific test you've been asked to perform if different). Click OK to start the test.

6: A Worker thread will open for each Logical CPU, these threads will update information about every Logical CPU being tested.

Information If one or more threads fail the Worker/s will stop and you will see the following message in the relevant thread/s
    Code:
    7: To stop the test at any time click on Test then Stop... from the resulting context menu.

8: If the test runs without detecting any errors the results will look similar to the results shown in the screenshot below.

That's it,
    Gav.

Related Tutorials

:)

ICIT2LOL, Mar 9, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 9, 2017
  3. BSOD caused by ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!_report_gsfailure+25 )

Nearly all of the Bugchecks point to 124 hardware error which specifically points to processor cache:

BUSL0_SRC_ERR_M_NOTIMEOUT_ERR

This can either be due to Faulty hardware i.e. CPU or incorrect cables or thermal error.

First of all, do a Stress test on CPU:

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 9, 2017
  4. ICIT2LOL Win User

Thanks Shawn I thought perhaps it may have been configured for 10 with the link. *Smile

ICIT2LOL, Mar 10, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    I just found out you can get Prime95 portable using Chocolaty(PowerShell): Chocolatey Gallery | Prime95 (Portable) 28.7

Code: tools\chocolateyinstall.ps1 Hide 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 $ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop' $packageName= 'prime95.portable' $toolsDir = "$(Split-Path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition)" $url = 'http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gim...v287.win32.zip' $url64 = 'http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gim...v287.win64.zip' $ExeFile = 'prime95.exe' $ShortcutName = 'Prime95' $packageArgs = @{ packageName = $packageName unzipLocation = $toolsDir fileType = 'ZIP' url = $url } Install-ChocolateyZipPackage @packageArgs Install-ChocolateyShortcut -shortcutFilePath "$envPrime95 - Stress Test Your CPU :public\Desktop\$ShortcutName.lnk" -targetPath "$env:ChocolateyInstall\lib\$packageName\tools\$ExeFile" Install-ChocolateyShortcut -shortcutFilePath "$envPrime95 - Stress Test Your CPU :programData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\$ShortcutName.lnk" -targetPath "$toolsDir\$ExeFile" -WorkingDirectory "$toolsDir" tools\chocolateyuninstall.ps1 Hide 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 $packageName= 'prime95.portable' $ShortcutName = 'Prime95' if((get-process "prime95" -ea SilentlyContinue) -eq $Null){ Write-Host "prime95 not running. (Good!)" } else{ Write-Host "Stopping Prime95..." Stop-Process -processname "prime95" Start-Sleep -s 3 } Uninstall-ChocolateyZipPackage remove-item "$envPrime95 - Stress Test Your CPU :public\Desktop\$ShortcutName.lnk" -Force -ErrorAction 'SilentlyContinue' remove-item "$envPrime95 - Stress Test Your CPU :programData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\$ShortcutName.lnk" -Force -ErrorAction 'SilentlyContinue' [/quote]

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I'm trying Prime95(V. 28.10 build 19) for the first time today, to check my 4.9GHz OC.
    But it only stays between 4.0 and 4.4GHz*Confused

I tried it with my OC testing settings( Vcore set to override, and CPU Ratio set to fixed), and my Daily settings(Vcore set to Adaptive, and CPU Ratio set to Dynamic) and it seems to make no difference.

I haven't seen this in any other stress test or benchmark software.

Any clues as to why?

I'm able to use my system still, with no freezing while it's running in the background, and my temps(even though my Vcore is set to 1.45) stay around a stable 68°C while stress testing, and that's while doing the small FFT, while doing Blend, it's a stable 62°C.(I just use fans to cool)

I thought, after reading some tutorial, different forums posts, and such, from the net, that I could fry bacon on my PC running this test.

running small FFT

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
    Cliff the utility on the left side of that screenshot shows the multiplier at 41.

essenbe, Mar 10, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

That's what I mean, it doesn't use my full OC(49X)
    When I turn Prime95 off, or use another stress program at the same time, like CPU-Z it jumps to the correct 4.9:

(CPU-Z & Prime95 small FFT running together while AIDA64, Skype Preview and Edge with 3 tabs open(and very well at that*Smile)

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Here is a video showing what I mean:
    [youtube]4F8ApTDBj6c[/youtube]

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  10. Dude Win User
    Cliff, is CIE disabled? That will cause it to drop too.

11. Cliff S New Member
    Oh?

It sure is, that's my boards default.
    Do you recommend it being turned on, or should I accept the down clock, which I have never seen before, and think of it as a "safety measure"?

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  12. Cliff S New Member
    If I run CPU_Z(for a short bit) and P95 at the same time, I get my x49 back though.

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  13. Dude Win User

What I meant is enabled it is a power saving feature. I think what is happennig is it is getting close to the TDP. You would have to change the settings I show here, increase them and it will run at your OC, and yes the temps may skyrocket then

14. Cliff S New Member
    I have no idea what to set them too, maybe It's just better to leave it then. I get the OC when using stuff that needs it, it's just P95 that down clocks. what do you think, you have seen all my benchmarks>?

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  15. Dude Win User
    I would leave well enough alone, you score good in benchmarks. No need to stress the system with P95 as you will never see a load like that in real life

Thema:

1. Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU - Similar Threads - Prime95 Stress Test

2. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU: So, about a year ago or so my computer started crashing with BSOD errors. I believe it wasn't until after windows 11 update that these errors started to happen more regularly. It used to only happen when I would play certain video games, but now it happens during downloads,...
  3. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when stress testing my CPU: So, about a year ago or so my computer started crashing with BSOD errors. I believe it wasn't until after windows 11 update that these errors started to happen more regularly. It used to only happen when I would play certain video games, but now it happens during downloads,...
  4. Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU: My computer crashes and I get the BSOD stating clock watchdog timeout after freezing when doing a stress test on my CPU - ram tests ok. I have checked the PSU - bought a new one and cooling and used different ram as well. All to no avail....
  5. Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freeze then BSOD when stress testing CPU: My computer crashes and I get the BSOD stating clock watchdog timeout after freezing when doing a stress test on my CPU - ram tests ok. I have checked the PSU - bought a new one and cooling and used different ram as well. All to no avail....
  6. Cpu not turbo boosting while stress testing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cpu not turbo boosting while stress testing: hi,so i have discovered this problem while i was playing game and what it does is when my cpu utilization reaches 100% the speed of the processor gets limited to its base speed which in my case is 2.4GHz And when the cpu utilization is low(idle or doing some normal stuff...
  7. Stress Testing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stress Testing: How can this happen to such an important and highly visible update? Was the update not thoroughly tested prior to release? I have a banking IT Audit background and am surprised this was not caught, because I would think this would be obvious during testing. Thanks....
  8. Shutdowns and freezes when testing with prime95

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutdowns and freezes when testing with prime95: I've had more issues than I can count with this PC. Most recently I had a month long issue which was eventually fixed by lowering the vCore on my CPU by 0.1. I wasn't overclocking but the automatic settings in the BIOS let it creep over 1.5v (fx-8350). I went from constant...
  9. Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?: Hi all,Over this weekend I've been testing my RAM modules due to a request I got from technical support. I use Private Internet Access VPN and if I leave my VPN running for 24 hours, at some point its process will get killed. The support told me that I probably have a...
  10. FurMark - GPU Stress Test

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    FurMark - GPU Stress Test: How to: FurMark - GPU Stress Test FurMark - GPU Stress Test [img] Information Furmark is an intensive OpenGL benchmark that uses fur rendering algorithms to measure the performance of the graphics card. BSOD analysts will recommend you use Furmark to test the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. choco install prime95.portable -version=28.9