Windows 10: Print, Save As Dialogs do not work properly

Discus and support Print, Save As Dialogs do not work properly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Trouble with keyboard since last update greetings, I have been having issues with keying in or changing filenames when: - Printing, -Saving a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AndroidSpryte19, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Print, Save As Dialogs do not work properly

Trouble with keyboard since last update
    greetings,

I have been having issues with keying in or changing filenames when:
    - Printing,
    -Saving a Webpage or
    - downloading files with Save As...
    - (to identify them as something more than 'setup.exe' or image.*).

Whenever I try any of the above and attempt to type in a custom name for the file I get gibberish (in other words random characters that have nothing to do withe the subject of the Saved document).
    Since this is happening with various software products I am starting to believe thos is an OS problem.

I always gget the latest OS updates.

Also I always make sure the software I use is up to date software:
    - Foxit PDF
    - Libre Office
    - Vivaldi Browser
    - Firefox Browser
    - Pale Moon browser
    - Edge browser
    - Sublime Text
    - Visual Studio 2015
    - Visual Studio 2017
    - Firefox ver. 60.0.1 (64 bit)
    - Vivaldi 2.8.1664.32 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    - Libre Office 6
    - Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18362
    - Microsoft Edge 44.18362.329.0
    - Pale Moon ver. v28.7.1 (2019-09-12)
    - Sophos Home Beta ver. 2.1.7
    - Spywareblaster

Using:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.18362
    IE ver. Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.18362
    Version: 9.6.0.25114
    Revision e741727bd8cdb544aef9f9572c2ff7560827db29
    OS Windows 10 OS Version 1903 (Build 18362.356)
    JavaScript V8 7.7.299.11
    Flash (Disabled)

java version "1.8.0_221"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_221-b11)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.221-b11, mixed mode, sharing)

This issue has plagued me for the past several weeks and I have filed reports to various software vendors who 'virtually' shrug their shoulders saying their software is not responsible and they do not know what is happening.

I use pretty much Vanilla Windows except for a cutom image for my desktop and this has only been happening the past month or so.

Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

:)

AndroidSpryte19, Sep 23, 2019
  2. David Haz Win User

Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working

Hello,

If the Open and Save As dialog boxes are not appearing, there might be a process or service that is conflicting with that function of Windows. We recommend that you perform a clean boot of Windows. This would aid eliminate software conflicts that occur when
    using Windows.

Note: Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when performing a clean boot. If you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original issue.

Here's how to perform a clean boot environment in Windows 10:

• Press the Start button, then type msconfig, and select
      System Configuration from the search results.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, then select
      Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration
      dialog box, click OK, and then restart your computer.

After performing a clean boot environment of Windows, see if the Open
    and Save As dialog boxes work as they should be. If it works, then you may follow the steps below on how to determine what is causing the problem while in a clean boot environment:

• Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    • From Start. search for msconfig, then select
      msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.
    • Click the Services tab, and then click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services
      check box.
    • Click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through
        , but clear the lower half of the check boxes in the Service
        list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through
        , and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the
        Service
        list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step
        10. If no service causes the problem, go to step 7.
    • Repeat steps 1 and 2 in this section.
    • Click the Startup tab, then click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the
      Startup Item list.
    • Click OK, and then click Restart.
      • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 7 and 8, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the
        Startup Item list that you originally selected.
      • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 7 and 8, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the
        Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
      • If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item
        is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected
        Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step
      • If no Startup Item causes the problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps
        1 through 6 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services
        check box in each step.
    • After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the
      System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask us.

If you think this was useful, feel free to mark it as an answer to help those who are facing the same problem.

David Haz, Sep 23, 2019
  3. Windows 10 print dialog box hides print button under task bar

Hello Daniel,

It is possible that the issue you're experiencing with the print dialog box is due to the resolution setting of your Windows 10 PC. That being said, we need more information to properly address your concern. Kindly answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start?
    • Did you notice any system setting changes prior to the issue?
    • Which app are you using when you encountered the issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Follow the steps below for changing the resolution of your PC:

• Select the Start button.
    • Go to Settings > System > Display.
    • Click Advanced display settings.
    • Under Resolution, make sure that the resolution selected is the
      Recommended one.
    • Once verified, click Apply to save the changes.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Sep 23, 2019
  4. Suman_B Win User

Print, Save As Dialogs do not work properly

Print to PDF not working in Windows 10.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

I suggest you to refer to suggestions from
    Kristine Arp
    replied on January 13, 2018 and check:
    Microsoft Print to PDF is not working.

Additionally follow the below steps.

Method 1: Check the User folder.

Edge sometimes saves the PDF documents to the default directory automatically. If you don’t see the save dialog while using Microsoft Edge, make sure to check
    C:Users%username% folder for saved PDF files.

There are instances Edge stores saved PDF file in
    UserDocuments
    folder automatically, so make sure that you check it as well.

Method 2:
    Update the printer driver

If replacing the printer driver didn’t solve the problem, you might as well try to update the current one. In case you don’t know how to do that, just follow these instructions:

1. Go to Search, type devicemngr, and open Device Manager.
    2. Expan Print queues.
    3. Right-click Microhsoft Print to PDF, and go to
      Update driver.
    4. Follow further on-screen instructions.
    5. Restart your computer.

Please refer to Print to PDF tutorial.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

Print, Save As Dialogs do not work properly

1. Print, Save As Dialogs do not work properly - Similar Threads - Print Save Dialogs

2. Print Dialog Screen Not Working Correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Print Dialog Screen Not Working Correctly: After the last update the print dialog screen changed and is no longer showing a preview and is not carrying "more settings" from printer driver back to print process in Windows. i.e. changing media size for example in printer driver does not carry back to program print...
  3. Print Dialog Screen Not Working Correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Print Dialog Screen Not Working Correctly: After the last update the print dialog screen changed and is no longer showing a preview and is not carrying "more settings" from printer driver back to print process in Windows. i.e. changing media size for example in printer driver does not carry back to program print...
  4. Pictures do not print properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures do not print properly: Greetings Everyone I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that just appeared and I cannot seem to fix. On Friday, when printing multiple pictures, the print outs just changed from a full image to only part of the image. Usually top and bottom sections and no middle...
  5. Keep getting the 'Save output as' dialog when trying to print

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keep getting the 'Save output as' dialog when trying to print: Can't seem to print a file from Windows 10. No matter which printer I set as the default, I only get the 'Save output as' dialog when trying to print. I already confirmed that the printer I want to use was set as the default, per the steps listed in this post:...
  6. Print dialog hidden

Print dialog hidden: I am using Windows 10 and Photoshop CS6 on a Lenovo Yoga laptop. In the office, I have an external monitor. When using Photoshop, I use the external monitor at the office. When running it on the laptop away from the office, a couple things happen: 1. The PS window opens...
  7. Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open and Save As Dialog Boxes not working Windows 10- open and save dialog boxes not...: New 4 Months Lennovo legion laptop with Win10 64 bit pre-installed. As indicated, the file/open file/save dialog boxes do not work for any 32 bit applications. This includes Office applications/Acrobat/Garmin/etc. Dialog boxes do work for 64 bit applications. 1 I have...
  8. Print dialog disappears

in Windows 10 Customization
    Print dialog disappears: I can print fine but the print dialog does not come up to make changes or select different printer. This is only since the install of office 365. The 365 install may not be related, as I have not seen this before. Updated HP drivers for printer and software. PC running...
  9. Windows 10 print Dialog not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 print Dialog not working: Hello Everyone I have a big Problem. Our Windows 10 print function doesn't work correctly anymore (This happen to be since we switched to Windows 10). When we print a Picture via "right click - Print" then this Message appears (Look Image, Google Translate = "Error...
  10. Print Dialog

Print Dialog: I have a shared printer and when I print to it, the printer icon does not close, it does on the other printer that I print directly to. I have tried "Refresh" and "Close" and it still stays active. 119508