Windows 10: print/save as .txt explorer search results

Discus and support print/save as .txt explorer search results in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Good Day all I'm hoping there is a way to save what explorer finds into a text file or even excel. i have a bunch of music scaterd on a few drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dmesal, Sep 16, 2017.

1. dmesal Win User

print/save as .txt explorer search results

Good Day all

I'm hoping there is a way to save what explorer finds into a text file or even excel. i have a bunch of music scaterd on a few drives and would like to know what is where and sort out dupes

all help is greatly appreciated

I was able to do it with tree size but have lost the program i am out at sea now for three weeks or so, so no internet for a while. (for my laptop)

:)

dmesal, Sep 16, 2017

2. print explorer search results

I have searched on *.CBproj and havec 1000 results. Now I want to print the list

GeorgeProbyn, Sep 16, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Sep 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Search results to file: (path + file name)
    Export Windows 7 search results to a text file - Super User
    expands comment on this (for Win 7)
    Microsoft Community

I doubt there's any change in this in Win 10.

See
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/print-...folder-windows
    and experiment with regular expressions with the DIR command
    e.g.
    DIR e*.mp3

For that you'd be better waiting until you can download a comparison utility.
    E.g.
    How to Find and Remove Duplicate Songs

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  5. Try3 Win User
    dmsel,

• Do the search,
    • Select all the results [Ctrl-A does this quickly],
    • Press the Shift key and, at the same time, right-click,
    • Select Copy as path,
    • Paste into Excel [a very good choice for this sort of task].

print/save as .txt explorer search results [​IMG]

Sample results pasted into Excel
    Denis

6. dalchina New Member
    Yes, that's in the first URL I posted. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 16, 2017
  7. Try3 Win User
    dmsel,

When I was looking into saving music file lists, I developed an Excel tool that extracts Full path, Filename, File size, Album, "Authors" i.e. Artist [aka Album artist], Contributing artists, Genre, Year, #, Track title, Length, Bit rate

The tool was a prototype but works well so I never rewrote it. You can download both the tool and a sample output file from my OneDrive Public folder [you can download them singly or together, if you do download them together OneDrive automatically zips them up into a single zip file].

The extended properties this tool produces are much more than the basic Full paths & Filenames produced by Copy as path so might be what you were really after when you asked the question.

Denis

This tool produces an output workbook containing lists of files with their file paths & file properties for the folders & files entered in the Input worksheet.

For Music files, the properties include Full path, Filename, File size, Album, "Authors" i.e. Artist [aka Album artist], Contributing artists, Genre, Year, #, Track title, Length, Bit rate

This procedure is a real resource hog. Do not expect to be able to work on anything else while it is running.

Whilst I have not encountered any problems with this version, I always close all other Excel files before running the procedure.

This tool was developed for Excel 2007; it also works in Excel 2016 because VBA has changed so little.

It was written for Windows 7 then extended for Windows XP; it also works in Windows 10.

The VBA procedure was based on code provided by the MS Community contributors Mike H & Gary's Student and ExcelFox Forum contributor Rick Rothstein

This is a 'prototype' from 2013. I never revised it because it works well enough as it is albeit a lot slower than it would be if I rewrote it now [my coding seems quite laughable now that I have studied VBA properly].

It can cope with listing the whole of a Windows drive in Windows XP & Windows 7 but I have never extended it to cope with a whole Windows 10 drive because I never use it for such lists in practice. Windows drives are problematic because attempts to read the properties of several system files can be forcefully rejected by the system causing failure of the VBA procedure.

Using it to list the whole of a Windows drive's contents can take all day.

This tool is best limited to searching in user folders such as music folders.

This Excel file is set to be read-only so that you do not accidentally keep Input sheet folder entries between runs.

The screen does not update while the tool is running unless you turn the Development mode switch on. This allows you to see what it is doing but it slows the tool down a lot. Watching the procedure unfold is like watching paint dry.

I have hidden rows in the Run this tool sheet for additional options that were never implemented

Try3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. print/save as .txt explorer search results - Similar Threads - print save txt

2. windows explorer search partial results

in Cortana
    windows explorer search partial results: strange behavior: windows 10 pro windows-explorer, while using the regular explorer search bar not Cortana, the results displayed are only from files whos filename begins with the letter "A"your thoughts appreciated...
  3. windows explorer search partial results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows explorer search partial results: strange behavior: windows 10 pro windows-explorer, while using the regular explorer search bar not Cortana, the results displayed are only from files whos filename begins with the letter "A"your thoughts appreciated...
  4. windows explorer search partial results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  6. Problems with "Save results of C Drive search".

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with "Save results of C Drive search".: I'm using the Search facility a lot at the moment as I'm setting up a new laptop. There are two problems - (1) the "Save results doesn't work" and (2) if there are say ten results, I'll click on the first one and if it's not what I'm searching for, I have to look at the...
  7. How can I print search results from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I print search results from File Explorer: Is it possible to print the search results for all files found during a search? As shown in the attached image, a search for *.AXP turned up 222 files. I would like to save this to a file like word or ideally Excel but I can't figure out how to copy/paste or some other way to...
  8. How can I print search results fro File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I print search results fro File Explorer: Is it possible to print the search results for all files found during a search? As shown in the attached image, a search for *.AXP turned up 222 files. I would like to save this to a file like word or ideally Excel but I can't figure out how to copy/paste or some other way to...
  9. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders: I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...