Windows 10: Print Spooler crashing after Windows update

Discus and support Print Spooler crashing after Windows update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A month ago my computer installed a routine Windows Update upon shut down. When I started up the next morning I couldn't print, getting an error saying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Reverend_Funk, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Print Spooler crashing after Windows update

A month ago my computer installed a routine Windows Update upon shut down. When I started up the next morning I couldn't print, getting an error saying I needed to install a printer to be able to print. When I clicked on the network printer I wanted to install I got another error: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

I checked the spooler and it had indeed stopped. I restarted it and tried to print, only for it to fail again.

Key Points:

My machine is a HP 280 G2. 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

Printer is connected to another machine (called Print-Server) via USB and shared on the local network
    Print-Server is a HP Compaq dc7900. 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

The Windows updates that installed prior to the error were KB4480966 and KB4100347. The Error has occurred on 3 separate machines in exactly the same way over the course of this month. I have been able to use System Restore on two of these machines to go back to before the Updates were downloaded and disabled any further Windows Updates.

On the remaining machine I have tried:

Changing the spooler's Recovery settings (subsequent failures: Restart the Service)
    Checked all dependencies are installed and running

Removing the device and deleting the driver from the registry
    Re-adding the printer (fails with error: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. The local print spooler is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.") - Upon checking Services, my spooler has not stopped and I can print to a different printer (wifi).

Cleared out folder C:\windows\system32\spool\printers

Uninstalling KB4480966 and KB4100347 - Neither file listed in 'Uninstall an update'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Reverend_Funk, Jan 30, 2019
  2. Karla Alm Win User

Print Spooler Issue

Hello Sree,

For step by step instructions on how you can manually start the Print Spooler Service, follow these:

• Click Windows tab.
    • Type Control Panel > System and Maintenance
      > Administrative Tools.
    • Double click Services.
    • Right click to the Print Spooler service > Properties.

However, we suggest you can refer to an answer given by Prabhavathi Patil on this

thread

We also recommend that you update the driver for your printer.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Karla Alm, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Cybot Win User
    print spooler keeps crashing unable to uninstall or install printer - windows 10 pro 16299.125

i ran the print troubleshooter again, but because spooler service had crashed so many times, it was able to do more analysis. it suggested an option that isolated the print drivers from the spooler service to increase spooler staility. I have no idea what
    any of that means. maybe you could clue me in?

L: Problem with printer

Problem with printer
    There might be problems with HP Officejet 100 Mobile L411 BT. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot.

Detected

L: The Print Spooler service is experiencing problems

The Print Spooler service is experiencing problems
    Errors in the Print Spooler service might interrupt printing.

Fixed

Update printer policies

Completed

Cybot, Jan 30, 2019
  4. Print Spooler crashing after Windows update

Must restart Spooler to print

Have you set the Print Spooler server to Automatic? If you haven't, then let's do it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Services through the search box.
    • Locate Print Spooler service and double click it.
    • Once the Print Spooler Properties window is open, look for Startup type and set is to
      Automatic.
    • Check also the Service status and make sure that it is set to Started.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

In case there are other printers installed on your PC that you no longer use, we suggest that you uninstall it as it may also cause some issues with Print Spooler.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards

Vanessa Yar, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

Print Spooler crashing after Windows update

1. Print Spooler crashing after Windows update - Similar Threads - Print Spooler crashing

2. Windows 11 Constant Print Spooler crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Constant Print Spooler crashing: 2 3 4 times a day..sometimes more my print spooler crashes. I have to go to serviced and restart. This is a fairly new HP computer and the problem started when I got the new computer. My Dell Windows 11 did not have this problem. I have the same printers on the HP as the...
  3. Windows 11 Constant Print Spooler crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Constant Print Spooler crashing: 2 3 4 times a day..sometimes more my print spooler crashes. I have to go to serviced and restart. This is a fairly new HP computer and the problem started when I got the new computer. My Dell Windows 11 did not have this problem. I have the same printers on the HP as the...
  4. print spooler

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    print spooler: print spooler is curently running but when trying toinstall printer drivers it ssy spoller has stopped but it still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/88996641-a0cf-40e6-8ec2-79d12357dfc2
  5. Print spooler

Print spooler: Just updated win 10 to latest update. Now cannot print to HP Laserjet Pro mfp 1410. The print spooler will not remain on. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/fe76dc32-5978-4e2b-b195-0dcd75753c60
  6. Windows 10 Print spooler crashes

Windows 10 Print spooler crashes: Hi, Since I have noticed several question about this and all threads haven been closed... This 'my two cents'... One user claims no longer able to use PDF Creator. It even provokes a 'you should start print spooler first'. When another user uses this same tool on the same...
  7. Print Spooler is constantly crashing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Print Spooler is constantly crashing: Dear All, Since yesterday a client's PC has constantly had its print spooler constantly terminated unexpectedly with Error Code 7031. When checking the event viewer application and system section the below is being found: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I have also tried to stopped...
  8. Print Spoolers Still Crash After KB4517389

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Print Spoolers Still Crash After KB4517389: Hello. I lost the ability to print after installing KB4524147. Then KB4517389 was supposed to fix that. It didn't. Is there a fix out there or does Microsoft know that they still haven't resolved the KB4524147 saga?...
  9. Print spooler not working after Windows update

Print spooler not working after Windows update: Since the automatic update on 4th October, no printers work. Re-starting the print spooler works for a short while - I managed to print one page - but the print spooler runs for a few seconds, then stops. I can't even remove a printer to re-install the drivers. Have tried...
  10. Print Spooler not clearing after printing

Print Spooler not clearing after printing: My print spooler is not clearing after printing so the next time I try to print something else, it's just printing out the same thing again. Any ideas?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. print spooler crashing after windwos 10 update

2. windows update crashes print spooler