Windows 10: Print spooler fails after Win10 pushed updates

Discus and support Print spooler fails after Win10 pushed updates in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Need help rolling back update KB4578968, 10/15/2020, or perhaps a security KB pushed on/near same date, that I believe is responsible for new inability... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RBecker_425, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Print spooler fails after Win10 pushed updates

Need help rolling back update KB4578968, 10/15/2020, or perhaps a security KB pushed on/near same date, that I believe is responsible for new inability starting on/about 10/15 to access any installed printer. Applications e.g., Word, Firefox report "No Printers Installed".

The printers themselves remain listed at the Settings...Devices...Printers & Scanners... window; however, attempts to access them directly generate diagnostics like "Error Opening Printer...Windows cannot connect to the printer...The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I've tried the maneuvers recommended in the diagnostics, via the services app and machine restarts, , without success.

The Win10 "recovery" process was not available !!!? on 10/24: "This option is no longer available because your PC was updated more than 10 days ago."

I found web lore describing how to list and uninstall KB updates individually via the command line resources wmic and wusa see https://pureinfotech.com/kb4567523-windows-10-fix-print-problem-2004/. The wmic command displayed the 10/15 update push for KB4578968, as well as two security patches. I used wusa to uninstall KB4578968, with the following result shown via wmic:

Description FixComments HotFixID InstallDate InstalledBy InstalledOn Name ServicePackInEffect Status
    Update KB4576478 RobertBecker-PC\Robert Becker 10/25/2020
    Update KB4559309 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 7/12/2020
    Security Update KB4560366 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 7/2/2020
    Security Update KB4561600 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 7/2/2020
    Security Update KB4566785 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 7/15/2020
    Security Update KB4570334 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 8/12/2020
    Security Update KB4577266 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 9/9/2020
    Security Update KB4580325 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 10/14/2020
    Security Update KB4579311 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 10/15/2020

So... KB4578968 apparently is gone, and is replaced by a new HotFixID item KB4576478. I restarted the laptop, but no joy -- apps still report "No Printers Installed" and direct access to printers fails as quoted above.

Before I move on to uninstalling the 10/14 and 10/15 Security Updates, can anyone advise about best path for restoring my Win10 system to its status before 10/14? I'm reluctant about resorting to a complete Win10 reinstall -- 1 should not be necessary, and 2 lotsa work.

Thanks!

:)

RBecker_425, Oct 26, 2020
  2. Karla Alm Win User

Print Spooler Issue

Hello Sree,

For step by step instructions on how you can manually start the Print Spooler Service, follow these:

• Click Windows tab.
    • Type Control Panel > System and Maintenance
      > Administrative Tools.
    • Double click Services.
    • Right click to the Print Spooler service > Properties.

However, we suggest you can refer to an answer given by Prabhavathi Patil on this

thread

We also recommend that you update the driver for your printer.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Karla Alm, Oct 26, 2020
  3. Dmico2 Win User
    Print Spooler Win10 Update in 2016

When I upgraded to Win 10 a yr ago, the print spooler did not load. I had a higher level MSFT tech do a screen share where she tried to manually install the print spooler but she failed. I have been unable to print from this PC for a year now.

When the updates for Win10 come out in a month, will it contain a patch to fix my issue or is it time to move on from this software if I ever want to print from my computer again?

Dmico2, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Julie Ram Win User

Print spooler fails after Win10 pushed updates

Print spooler

Hi Marty,

To assist with your concern, follow the steps provided below on how to enable Print Spooler under Services:

• Click "Start".
    • Type "Services.msc".
    • Double-click "Print Spooler" in the Services list.
    • Startup Type must be set to "Automatic".
    • If the Service Status was "Stop", click "Start" then "Apply" and click "Ok.

Update us on the result.

Thank you.

Julie Ram, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Print spooler fails after Win10 pushed updates

1. Print spooler fails after Win10 pushed updates - Similar Threads - Print spooler fails

2. print spooler

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    print spooler: print spooler is curently running but when trying toinstall printer drivers it ssy spoller has stopped but it still running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/88996641-a0cf-40e6-8ec2-79d12357dfc2
  3. Cannot print after November Windows Update, Spooler Operation Failed - stopping and...

Cannot print after November Windows Update, Spooler Operation Failed - stopping and...: I have an HP Officejet 8025 and since updating windows 10 in November 2022, I'm no longer able to print anything. When I try to print, the document goes to the print queue for less than a second, then just disappears immediately without printing anything. The Scanner portion...
  4. Cannot print after November Windows Update, Spooler Operation Failed - stopping and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot print after November Windows Update, Spooler Operation Failed - stopping and...: I have an HP Officejet 8025 and since updating windows 10 in November 2022, I'm no longer able to print anything. When I try to print, the document goes to the print queue for less than a second, then just disappears immediately without printing anything. The Scanner portion...
  5. Cannot print after November Windows Update, Spooler Operation Failed - stopping and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Print spooler

Print spooler: Just updated win 10 to latest update. Now cannot print to HP Laserjet Pro mfp 1410. The print spooler will not remain on. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-spooler/fe76dc32-5978-4e2b-b195-0dcd75753c60
  7. Print spooler not working after Windows update

Print spooler not working after Windows update: Since the automatic update on 4th October, no printers work. Re-starting the print spooler works for a short while - I managed to print one page - but the print spooler runs for a few seconds, then stops. I can't even remove a printer to re-install the drivers. Have tried...
  8. Print Spooler crashing after Windows update

Print Spooler crashing after Windows update: A month ago my computer installed a routine Windows Update upon shut down. When I started up the next morning I couldn't print, getting an error saying I needed to install a printer to be able to print. When I clicked on the network printer I wanted to install I got another...
  9. Print Spooler not clearing after printing

Print Spooler not clearing after printing: My print spooler is not clearing after printing so the next time I try to print something else, it's just printing out the same thing again. Any ideas?...
  10. Print Spooler

Print Spooler: My update to Windows 10 from Windows 7 went without problems but none of the three printers attached to my computer worked and I have been struggling with the problem over the last two weeks. There is another long thread "Can't connect to Printer" which has not produced a...