Windows 10: Print test page seems to work but does not actually print

Discus and support Print test page seems to work but does not actually print in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a new Windows 10 (1903) machine with a USB-attached receipt printer (Ithaca BankJet 2500 for information's sake). I connect it using a USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bob Bridges (bbridges), Sep 17, 2019.

1. Print test page seems to work but does not actually print

I have a new Windows 10 (1903) machine with a USB-attached receipt printer (Ithaca BankJet 2500 for information's sake). I connect it using a USB printer port. It looks like it installs fine, but when I try to print a test page, it goes through the motions (you can see the "1 document in queue" momentarily and then it goes away). When I open the print queue, the test page shows up for a moment and then goes away (again, as I would expect it to do.)

The problem is, it will not actually print the test page.

I have the same printer set up on another similarly-configured machine. The test page prints fine. (I unplug the same printer out of one machine and plug into another and it prints fine on the second machine.)

I have tried rebooting the machine, logging on as an admin, restarting the print spooler, unplugging both the power and USB cable form the printer, change USB Ports on the computer... I'm at a loss!

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Bob Bridges (bbridges), Sep 17, 2019
  2. ellary Win User

Print jobs stuck in print quese

My wife recently changed from Chrome to Firefox on her laptop. Afterward the system would hang whenever she tried to print something. I looked and it seems that jobs get stuck in the print queue after printing. There was a test page and another job. I was able to cancel the other job but the test page won't cancel. Restarting the print spool service resulted in the test page printing but remaining in the queue in printing status.

What should me next steps be?

ellary, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Print prints calibration pages, but no documents

Negative: I followed all these steps, and I again removed anything from my computer and registry that is related to HP, and re-installed everything: Same problem after many attempts: The printer prints through HP setup software, but fails to print through
    Windows (Test page or Microsoft application like Word, Outlook or Excel)

Outlook displays "Printer not ready"

No problem printing from notepad

No problem printing a pdf from Microsoft Edge

Interesting is that if I print to Microsoft print to PDF then I get identical error messages

Any other suggestions or hints where the problem might be?

Regards,

Gerrit

GerritSchol, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Print test page seems to work but does not actually print

Print prints calibration pages, but no documents

• Using Windows 10: I fully reset the computer to a clean Windows 10 (Problem already there before the reset, and the reset was one of the many try outs)
    • Recently changed the TMP and TEMP folders to physical drive D
    • Printer HP Envy 5640 connected through Wifi
    • My printer stopped working when printing through windows. Ie if I as for a test print then I get the message "Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance?" - trouble shooter cannot find problem. If I print through
      excel or word then nothing gets printed
    • Re-installed printer, and also did set up direct through USB connection, but same problem
    What puzzles me is that

• If I scan then no problem and image gets scanned
    • If I ask HP to calibrate then it prints calibration page with no problem
    • It worked previously under Windows 10
    • My partner still can print with her windows 10 machine
    I have been searching the internet, but nothing brought me closer

GerritSchol, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

Print test page seems to work but does not actually print

1. Print test page seems to work but does not actually print - Similar Threads - Print test page

2. Printer prints only test page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer prints only test page: My printer only prints test page. I dont have enough knowledge to computer so I will explain it with the best of my experience. The printer works fine before upgrading computer but now it is not working fine. The printer prints test page but when I print using office...
  3. Printer prints only test page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer prints only test page: My printer only prints test page. I dont have enough knowledge to computer so I will explain it with the best of my experience. The printer works fine before upgrading computer but now it is not working fine. The printer prints test page but when I print using office...
  4. Printer prints only test page

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. printer does not print in color from the net. It does print in color for a test page or copy

printer does not print in color from the net. It does print in color for a test page or copy: printer does not print in color from the net. It does print in color for a test page or copy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-does-not-print-in-color-from-the-net-it/0e30c479-54ad-4933-93ab-224db5d38337
  6. printer does not print in color from the net. It does print in color for a test page or copy

printer does not print in color from the net. It does print in color for a test page or copy: printer does not print in color from the net. It does print in color for a test page or copy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-does-not-print-in-color-from-the-net-it/0e30c479-54ad-4933-93ab-224db5d38337
  7. my printer prints the test page but otherwise will not print.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my printer prints the test page but otherwise will not print.: I tried to troubleshoot but it did not find a problem, i followed the advise to restart the print spooler, but it did not help. The only change made between the time when the printer printed my docs and now when it does not print was that windows updated itself. What can I do...
  8. my printer prints the test page but otherwise will not print.

my printer prints the test page but otherwise will not print.: I tried to troubleshoot but it did not find a problem, i followed the advise to restart the print spooler, but it did not help. The only change made between the time when the printer printed my docs and now when it does not print was that windows updated itself. What can I do...
  9. my printer prints the test page but otherwise will not print.

10. black print on test page

black print on test page: I just installed a printer on my new computer, but the test page has print with a black background. printer works correctly on my old computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-print-on-test-page/2891b88e-cc01-44c8-b79c-7299adbfd7d2

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network printer prints test page but not documents