Windows 10: Printer compatability

Discus and support Printer compatability in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just bought a new windows 10 computer. I have an older HPOfficejet 4630 all in one printer that isnt compatible. Is there a fix that wont cause... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SharonMinshall, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Printer compatability

I just bought a new windows 10 computer. I have an older HPOfficejet 4630 all in one printer that isnt compatible.

Is there a fix that wont cause issues to my new computer or am I better of buying a new one?

:)

SharonMinshall, Feb 9, 2020

2. Compatibility of printer

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

With the issue description, I understand that after upgrading to Windows 10 operating system your computer is not detecting and installing the HP Printer. I will certainly help you in getting this fixed. I would appreciate if you could help me with more
    information:

• Is this a wired printer or wireless printer?

I would like to tell you that you have to make sure that the printer is enabled in “devices and printer” by following below steps:

• Press “Windows key”, click on “Settings
    • Click on “Devices”, now click on “Printer & Scanners” in the left pane
    • Click on “Devices and Printers
    • Right click on the printer and “Enable” it, Now try to use the printer.

There might be a possibility that while upgrading/installing Windows 10, printer drivers might get corrupt. Hence you are facing issues while printing. I would suggest you to follow the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:
    Printer Troubleshooter

The built-in Printer Troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix most of the incorrect settings and errors that could cause issues while printing. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if there is any issue while printing. Refer
    top these steps:

• Open Control Panel
    • Click on Troubleshooting and select the view all option on the left pane.
    • Click on Printer troubleshooter and follow the prompts.

Try method 2, if the issue persist

Method 2:
    Uninstall and Reinstall the Printer's Driver

Step 1: Uninstall the Printer's Drivers

a. Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

b. Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

c. Search for the Printer from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove
    the corrupted drivers from the computer.

d. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.

After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 2:
    Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the Printer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the printer model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

Try method 3, if the issue persist

Method 3:
    You may check the compatibility of the printer by following below mentioned link:

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

If the printer is not compatible with the computer then follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer
    and check if the issue persists

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Neha.Gupta, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Printer

Hi Mary,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Please follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with printer. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your printer.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Then click on printer and run the troubleshooter, follow the onscreen instructions.
    Method 2: This issue may arise due to printer’s driver incompatibility with Windows 10. I suggest you to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Right click on printer’s driver that you have downloaded from manufacturer website.
    • Click/tap on Properties.
    • Check the Run this program in Compatibility mode for under Compatibility tab
    • Select Windows 8.1/8 from the drop down under Compatibility mode section.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.
    • Install the drivers, restart PC and check if issue is resolved.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Printer compatability

Windows 10 printer compatibility

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I would suggest you to try to install printer drivers in compatibility mode.

Please refer steps to install drivers in compatibility mode from my previous response.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Printer compatability

1. Printer compatability - Similar Threads - Printer compatability

2. Avast Behavior Shield and Windows Cumulative updates not compatibility Printer Driver Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Avast Behavior Shield and Windows Cumulative updates not compatibility Printer Driver Upgrade: If you get black screen of User-Logon after Cumulative updatesie.March 2024, click Ctrl+Alt+Del and wait 5min+, options screen maybe show for youLogout and Logon again. Please add some Behavior exception rule to Avast Antivirus:...
  3. Avast Behavior Shield and Windows Cumulative updates not compatibility Printer Driver Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Avast Behavior Shield and Windows Cumulative updates not compatibility Printer Driver Upgrade: If you get black screen of User-Logon after Cumulative updatesie.March 2024, click Ctrl+Alt+Del and wait 5min+, options screen maybe show for youLogout and Logon again. Please add some Behavior exception rule to Avast Antivirus:...
  4. HP printer compatibility issue with Windows 11 on new Dell computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP printer compatibility issue with Windows 11 on new Dell computer: I bought a new Dell computer - Inspiron 15 3520 with Windows 11. When I try to print to my HP Officejet 5740 and open my print queue I get the following message "Get an app to open 'ms-print-queue'. Your PC doesn't have an app that can open this link". I have installed...
  5. HP printer compatibility issue with Windows 11 on new Dell computer

HP printer compatibility issue with Windows 11 on new Dell computer: I bought a new Dell computer - Inspiron 15 3520 with Windows 11. When I try to print to my HP Officejet 5740 and open my print queue I get the following message "Get an app to open 'ms-print-queue'. Your PC doesn't have an app that can open this link". I have installed...
  6. Struggles with all Printer Compatibility and printer Account Access on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggles with all Printer Compatibility and printer Account Access on Windows 11: I recently bought a new Windows PC because the old one was no longer working. I had been using a Surface with Windows 10 for many years, but the new one came with pre-installed Windows 11. Ever since I upgraded to this version, I've been constantly struggling with the...
  7. Struggles with all Printer Compatibility and printer Account Access on Windows 11

Struggles with all Printer Compatibility and printer Account Access on Windows 11: I recently bought a new Windows PC because the old one was no longer working. I had been using a Surface with Windows 10 for many years, but the new one came with pre-installed Windows 11. Ever since I upgraded to this version, I've been constantly struggling with the...
  8. Printer not compatible with windows 11...Help! Please!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer not compatible with windows 11...Help! Please!: My wonderful, but very old Brother printer is not compatible with my new windows 11 laptop. If I upgrade to windows 10/11, will my printer work?I am hesitant to try it because it costs $99.00! And I just bought this windows 11 laptop.My printer is a very substantial black and...
  9. Printer not compatible with windows 11...Help! Please!

Printer not compatible with windows 11...Help! Please!: My wonderful, but very old Brother printer is not compatible with my new windows 11 laptop. If I upgrade to windows 10/11, will my printer work?I am hesitant to try it because it costs $99.00! And I just bought this windows 11 laptop.My printer is a very substantial black and...
  10. Need scanning application compatible with Lexmark x204n printer/scanner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need scanning application compatible with Lexmark x204n printer/scanner: I recently obtained a barely used Lexmark x204n laser printer/scanner no longer supported by Lexmark that I want to use with my HP Pavilion dv6-3155dx notebook running Windows 10. The print function works fine, but I have not found a way to use the scanner. I have found only...