Windows 10: Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery

Discus and support Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Canon Pixma MX860, multi-printer (print, fax, scan). Was working just fine, connected via USB to my HP laptop running Windows 10 20H2. I printed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cytherian, May 4, 2021.

1. cytherian Win User

Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery

Canon Pixma MX860, multi-printer (print, fax, scan). Was working just fine, connected via USB to my HP laptop running Windows 10 20H2. I printed a document. Next, in order to reach for something I removed the USB cable for the printer, then plugged it back in. After that, no online printer detected. I plugged the USB plug into a different USB socket. Then another. Still no printer device, "offline." I restarted the printer. I restarted the laptop. STILL... printer offline. I plug in the USB cable into my spare laptop. Printer recognized! I could print, no problem. So I go back to my other laptop and... no change. "Printer offline." I plugged in a USB mouse and a USB flash memory drive. Both recognized. But the printer? Nothing. So I go into the Devices & Printers and I see the printer device listed. What's strange is that it's listed as Canon MX860 series Fax (Copy 1). If I check the Printer Properties, I find 4 listings -- printer, fax, printer (copy 1), fax (copy 2). This is weird. So I go for broke... I simply delete the device. I unplug the USB cable, then plug it back in. Finally, I hear the Windows audible cue that a device is recognized. The printer reappears. This time it's not "MX860 series Fax (Copy 1)," but now "MX860 series Printer. And there's just 2 entries for properties (printer and fax). This was such a strange experience. Any idea what could've caused this to happen and why a manual removal of the printer device was required?

:)

cytherian, May 4, 2021

2. Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery

Hello @cytherian,

Just a thought really. What is the Default Printer set as [ I do NOT have one on here but it will give you an idea ], and have you run the Printers & Scanners Troubleshooter? . . .

Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery [​IMG]

I hope this helps.

Paul Black, May 4, 2021
  3. cytherian Win User

Canon Pixma MX860, multi-printer (print, fax, scan). Was working just fine, connected via USB to my HP laptop running Windows 10 20H2. I printed a document. Next, in order to reach for something I removed the USB cable for the printer, then plugged it back in. After that, no online printer detected. I plugged the USB plug into a different USB socket. Then another. Still no printer device, "offline." I restarted the printer. I restarted the laptop. STILL... printer offline.

I plug in the USB cable into my spare laptop. Printer recognized! I could print, no problem. So I go back to my other laptop and... no change. "Printer offline." I plugged in a USB mouse and a USB flash memory drive. Both recognized. But the printer? Nothing.

So I go into the Devices & Printers and I see the printer device listed. What's strange is that it's listed as Canon MX860 series Fax (Copy 1). If I check the Printer Properties, I find 4 listings -- printer, fax, printer (copy 1), fax (copy 2). This is weird. So I go for broke... I simply delete the device. I unplug the USB cable, then plug it back in. Finally, I hear the Windows audible cue that a device is recognized. The printer reappears. This time it's not "MX860 series Fax (Copy 1)," but now "MX860 series Printer. And there's just 2 entries for properties (printer and fax). This was such a strange experience.

Any idea what could've caused this to happen and why a manual removal of the printer device was required?

cytherian, May 4, 2021
  4. Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery

usb device not recognized (malfunction) - Printer

Hope somebody can help a non-techy here.
    I have a canon IX4000 printer, and had been using it without problem. The next day (having touched nothing), I got a USB device not recognized warning, and that it has a malfunction (this is under Windows XP).

I've tried the following:
    - deinstalling all USB drivers under device manager
    - system restore to several days prior, when I knew the printer was working
    - trying a different USB lead (tested the lead on another device, so know it works)
    - plugged lead into every other available USB port on the computer (front and back).
    - tried plugging it into another computer (comes up with the same malfunction warning)
    - deinstalled the printer drivers, downloaded and reinstalled them.

Nothing I've tried works. I know the printer functions as I can start it up under service mode and print off test pages without problems, but my computer just won't have it. Could it be a hardware failure, and if not is there anything else I can try that isn't listed above?

Really grateful to anyone who can reply. *Smile Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery :)

zarathustra2012, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Printer device mysteriously no longer recognized then strange recovery - Similar Threads - Printer device mysteriously

2. Printer Not Recognized & Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer Not Recognized & Unknown USB Device: This morning I turned on my computer and it suddenly found or recognized my USB Connected HP Officejet 5255 -something it had not done in weeks, preventing both printing and reinstall of the HP software....so having found the printer, I gave win 10 another go at installing...
  3. Printer Not Recognized & Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer Not Recognized & Unknown USB Device: This morning I turned on my computer and it suddenly found or recognized my USB Connected HP Officejet 5255 -something it had not done in weeks, preventing both printing and reinstall of the HP software....so having found the printer, I gave win 10 another go at installing...
  4. Printer Not Recognized & Unknown USB Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. sound device no longer recognized

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sound device no longer recognized: https://imgur.com/sj5r28H It was working fine? All of a sudden decided to show up in the other devices list. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, uninstalling the device and restarting, different usb ports. Windows is up to date, drivers are up to date. submitted by...
  6. Win10 no longer recognizes Canon printer

Win10 no longer recognizes Canon printer: After a recent Windows update, Win10 Home system no longer recognizes printer Canon Maxify MB2120. The latest Canon driver is installed. Have removed printer and reinstalled. Printer prints test sheet, but not from the computer. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Thanks....
  7. Mystery recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery recovery: Three 80Gb 'spinning disk' HDDs that were viable in the PC I'm writing this post from, became undetectable by it. But if connected to another PC, ALSO RUNNING Win10v2004, they were 'viable'. In this other PC, I cloned to one of them, and that one is now visible in this PC...
  8. Mystery recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery recovery: 80Gb 'spinning disk' HDDs that were viable in the PC I'm writing this post from, became undetectable by it. But if connected to another PC, they were 'viable'. In this other PC, I cloned to one of them, and that one is now visible in this PC again. Can anyone make sense of...
  9. Touchpad no longer showing in Devices & Printers

Touchpad no longer showing in Devices & Printers: My touchpad has stopped working and although I thought it would be under Devices and Printers I am unable to find it anywhere I am working on an ACER Aspire E 15...
  10. Recovery Drive Mystery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery Drive Mystery: I prepared a large capacity USB flash drive formatted with NTFS ready to create a Recovery Drive. The first two attempts took a long time before reporting there was a problem. The third attempt also took a long time but everything looked like it had worked OK. However, when I...