Windows 10: Printer driver disappeared. How do I find it? Re-installing is not working.

Discus and support Printer driver disappeared. How do I find it? Re-installing is not working. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all- I have been using the same printer for over a year on this Windows 10 HP laptop. It is an old Brother, b&w laser printer that has never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by naturedr, May 1, 2020.

1. naturedr Win User

Printer driver disappeared. How do I find it? Re-installing is not working.

Hi all- I have been using the same printer for over a year on this Windows 10 HP laptop. It is an old Brother, b&w laser printer that has never failed.

Suddenly this week or last, the printer is gone from my devices/printer list. Windows can no longer find it even though it is connected via USB, that same as it always was. I did a manual install of the driver, from Windows. The only problem is that it states "Brother 2040 copy-1" this 'copy 1' does not talk to my printer- I dealt with this occurring w Windows 7 years ago on a different machine- however I cannot get around the driver installing it as a copy which I do not understand. How in the world can a driver that is installed on my computer disappear? It must still be installed somewhere, correct, and just need to be reactivated? I have searched and searched many forums and always the same replies- manually upload the driver via devices and printers- well that is not working and no one seems to talk about how to find the old driver that was already installed and working just fine.

Thanks so much-

:)

naturedr, May 1, 2020

2. Printer not working

Hi Terry,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

How have you connected the printer to your computer? Is it wired or wireless connection?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View all on the top left corner.

• Click Hardware and Devices.

• Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the driver

I suggest you to try uninstall the Mouse, Touchpad and Printer drivers check if it works for you.
    Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Right-click on the Touchpad device listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Follow the same steps to uninstall Mouse and Printer drivers.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Try to access the device manufacturer's website and download and install the latest chipset, touchpad and Printer drivers.

Hope this will fix the issue, if not let us know with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Giridhar J, May 1, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Virtual Pdf Printer Driver Won't install and Fixes won't work

You might be able, if needed, to get the old version, here at oldapps web site (disclaimer: I do not vouch for this site... check any and downloads with your fav malware/antivirus apps): Old Version of PrimoPDF for Windows XP

PrimoPDF forums are down it seems... however, I found this at PCReview forums, quote from "Unable to Install "Software" Printers":

Same solution on MSDN thread, "cannot install printer driver in XP Embedded":

95Viper, May 1, 2020
  4. Printer driver disappeared. How do I find it? Re-installing is not working.

"No printers have been installed" after the HP Printers were installed with windows 10 approved drivers

Hi,

Thank

you for your reply. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this. I suggest you to try running Windows app troubleshooter and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to try running Printer troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Printer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Method 2:

This issue may arise due to printer’s driver incompatibility with Windows 10. I suggest you to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.
    To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Right click on printer’s driver that you have downloaded from manufacturer website.
    • Click/tap on Properties.
    • Check the Run this program in Compatibility mode for under
      Compatibility tab
    • Select Windows 8.1/8 from the drop down under
      Compatibility mode section.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.
    • Install the drivers, restart PC and check if issue is resolved.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, May 1, 2020
Thema:

Printer driver disappeared. How do I find it? Re-installing is not working.

1. Printer driver disappeared. How do I find it? Re-installing is not working. - Similar Threads - Printer driver disappeared

2. how to install printer drivers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to install printer drivers?: how do yu install printer drivers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-printer-drivers/995eb49c-e074-4b11-90d4-4cc866db2661
  3. how to install printer drivers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to install printer drivers?: how do yu install printer drivers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-install-printer-drivers/995eb49c-e074-4b11-90d4-4cc866db2661
  4. How to install printer drivers?

How to install printer drivers?: I tried to install my printerHP Laserjet P1108 on windows 10 but it didn't work. First, I tried to install the drivers from the CD that came with the printer, and at last, it says printer installation failed. Then I install the drivers from the official website of HP . then...
  5. How do I re-install my network adapter driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I re-install my network adapter driver?: My network adapter has recently been messing up, being there was no wi-fi option, and I have to use Ethernet, and was hidden in device manager. I uninstalled the driver and can't find a way to re-install it. I tried using scan for hardware changes to no avail. Any way I can...
  6. How do I re-install my network adapter driver?

How do I re-install my network adapter driver?: My network adapter has recently been messing up, being there was no wi-fi option, and I have to use Ethernet, and was hidden in device manager. I uninstalled the driver and can't find a way to re-install it. I tried using scan for hardware changes to no avail. Any way I can...
  7. Realtek audio drivers disappeared and will not re-install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Realtek audio drivers disappeared and will not re-install: Basically, this has happened before, and before it went away by just restarting or updating but it doesn't work this time. So I had some updates or something last night. Apparently they "failed", could this have something to do with it? Screenshot of the update history...
  8. re-installing printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    re-installing printer: I un-installed my printer to see if it would help with it not printing- it will not download the exe file and I really need my printer- it will not download for me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-installing-printer/9092fdb4-3ef9-45bf-b482-471a61e5c7e4
  9. How do I install a driver. My printer stopped because there was not driver installed ???

How do I install a driver. My printer stopped because there was not driver installed ???: How do I install a driver. My printer stopped because there was not driver installed ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-install-a-driver-my-printer-stopped/abd4ff45-a651-4b64-9f8b-d9d43939972c
  10. How do I find a driver that will work on Windows 10

How do I find a driver that will work on Windows 10: I am running windown 10 and have a problem trying to download designs from my computer to my Janome embroidery sewing machine. The original download disc was designed for Vista and I cannot get it to download correctly on Windows 10. Can't find - and don't know where to look...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. printers disppaear windows 10 in printers and scanners